blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:42:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Sad Day As Black Belt Poker Closes For Business
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sad Day As Black Belt Poker Closes For Business  (Read 4898 times)
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« on: February 25, 2014, 12:49:13 PM »

http://uk.pokernews.com/news/2014/02/sad-day-as-black-belt-poker-closes-for-business-13187.htm

I would also like to wish Mr Channing all the best for his future endeavours, good luck sir.

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
corkeye

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 01:00:05 PM »

Really enjoyed playing in the blackbelt tourney at dtd, it was clear that Neil worked hard to promote his company. Its a tough nut to crack, and is a shame that it hasnt worked out.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 01:39:27 PM »

There ain't no doubt that Channing & Co have put money, enthusiasm, effort, blood, sweat and tears into UK poker. He also gave the poker world Sam Razavi. Hope it goes well for all involved in future endeavours.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 02:36:49 PM »

Hi Neil.

You don't know me, but I feel that I've come to know you fairly well over the years. Not in person, but by deed,  by reputation, and from your excellent musings.

I admire what you tried to do with Black Belt poker and I'm sorry that it failed, but I'm sure you realise that the only real failure lies in not trying.

Good luck for the future.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 02:48:47 PM by RED-DOG » Logged

The older I get, the better I was.
elBlandie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 03:23:02 PM »

I was one of the initial wave of Black Belt Poker players to go through the 'grading process' (/thin brag). I felt at the time that it was one of the most pioneering approaches to the poker industry worldwide, yet alone in the UK, and it is indeed sad news that this didn't work out. I know Neil put in a lot of work into this and he's had some fantastic people work alongside him.

Best of luck in your future endeavours Mr C.

I might have only posted a dozen times but half of those have been ripping it out of Tikay, so that's alright...
mumblesrock

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 06:06:40 PM »

never played on that skin.... but its sad.  did channing leave with any asset value or has he done is money in this process??  seems unfair that he leaves with nothing??
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 01:04:07 PM »

The perfect thread title. Very sad indeed.

I wish I could write as eloquently as Tom did, but those are pretty much my sentiments.

I don'ty know if the article on PokerNerws was completely accurate, but this really caught the eye.....

The first major issue is that Black Belt Poker was on the lower tier of the iPoker Network and therefore had lower cash game and sit ‘n’ go traffic than other iPoker Network rivals. When Playtech split its network in half, it was a massive blow for Black Belt Poker as it meant they would not have full liquidity in heads-up cash games, six-max No Limit Hold’em up to NL200 and full ring NL Hold’em up to NL100. This left them competing with similarly sized skins, almost all of whom offered and still offer substantial under-the-table rakeback deals (I receive 55% rakeback at one such skin for example) that were difficult to match. The split more than halved traffic for the skins who were placed in the lower tier of the network. Quite ironic that the system that many believe was created to kill off some of the sites that offer the network little in terms of value has actually contributed to one of its prize assets closing for business.[/i]

How ironic is that?

Anyway, he tried & failed, which is at least something.

I'm a huge believer in "Community Poker", & I still think it could work, but clearly, on i-Poker, it is a bit uphill.

At least Neil left nothing behind, he spared no efforts to make it work, with serial tweets & spammage, Live Events, regular articles, coaching schemes, the whole works. If that lot did not get the job done, nothing will. God knows how many hours he invested in BBP.

Anyway, it is what it is.

A great shame, imo.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
dwayne110

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 02:26:38 PM »

Sorry to read this, Neil comes across as a really engaging, modest man. He's been candid in the past regarding his early financial troubles and I'm sure he'll bounce back again.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 02:43:15 PM »

Reckon he would make a decent sky poker pro.

Just sayin
TheJokerKing

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 05:57:53 PM »

Sad to see but channing had great intentions!
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 12:35:38 AM »

Seems odd that they haven't emailed the database so far. Not everyone who has money on there is a regular user of poker forums.
Dry em
Hit Squad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 12:38:11 AM »

They have (I got mine).... Check your junk folder?

MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 01:37:34 AM »

Yeah, it's in the Junk folder, although no other emails from Black Belt went there. Apologies.
dreenie

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 03:43:59 AM »

gl Neil, hope everything gets back on track for Cheltenham Tongue
robyong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 04:04:44 AM »

Wishing u all the best Neil + BBP crew - you really have given it a go with London Live and Nottingham live and the BBP reward schemes. It's just a tough tough market for us small independent businesses being surrounded by billion dollar gaming companies who have bottomless pockets to throw at marketing. It's hard to keep our heads above water - never mind paddle forwards and we can only survive with extra support and goodwill from the poker community. Hopefully you will have less stress and headaches now mate and thanks for always taking the time to support DTD.

Cheers, from a fan of yours of how you always do things 100% straight, Rob
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 04:14:45 AM by robyong » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: