blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:28:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Oscar Pistorius trial
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Oscar Pistorius trial  (Read 20445 times)
Pinchop73

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2014, 06:03:56 PM »

The judge is experienced in law, so knows what 'reasonable doubt' actually means, for example, and is trained to take a balanced view and minimise the influence of emotions of their decisions, whereas juries tend to be less rational and more emotional in their decision-making. In this case, jurors may favour him because of his fame but might be biased against him because of the nature of the crime and his personality flaws that have emerged. This judge has previous for going hard on domestic violence and for speaking out on women's rights, but she is still much less likely to be prejudiced than a jury. Overall, though, the case against him is strong, so he would be better off with a jury due to their less rational and more unpredictable conclusions.

Contradiction of the month

First they came for the nits, and I did not speak out because I was not a nit
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2014, 06:20:50 PM »

The judge is experienced in law, so knows what 'reasonable doubt' actually means, for example, and is trained to take a balanced view and minimise the influence of emotions of their decisions, whereas juries tend to be less rational and more emotional in their decision-making. In this case, jurors may favour him because of his fame but might be biased against him because of the nature of the crime and his personality flaws that have emerged. This judge has previous for going hard on domestic violence and for speaking out on women's rights, but she is still much less likely to be prejudiced than a jury. Overall, though, the case against him is strong, so he would be better off with a jury due to their less rational and more unpredictable conclusions.

Contradiction of the month

Its not? He's saying he needs the extra variance as the case is strong.

I think if I was ever prosecuted for something I'd prefer a judge.

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
Redsgirl

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2014, 08:07:40 PM »

So, after weeks of waiting we have finally heard from the man himself.
He began with that tearful apology which I'm sure was perfectly sincere, although it seemed to have little effect on either Reeva's parents or the stony faced Judge.
Then, after telling Ma'am that he has been very sick and is on anti depressants and sleeping tablets
Mr Pistorius quickly composed himself and proceeded to talk very articulately and virtually uninterrupted for around two hours about his life up until last year and what a generally good egg he was.
I have to say his performance in the witness box has come as a complete suprise being as all we have seen him do in the past weeks is weep with his hands over his face or retch.

What was even more suprising is that after hearing him talk so eloquently about his overcoming his disability, losing his mother at a young age, his increasing fear of violence after witnessing and being the victim of many crimes I found myself sympathising with him, really wanting to believe his version of events.

That sympathy was short lived though after hearing read, with barely a falter I might add, dozens of messages between him and Reeva aloud to the court, which in my opinion revealed him to be a possessive and controlling boyfriend and her to be a sweet and sensitive girl.
I really don't know why Mr Roux thought that this would help his defence.

What was a genius move though, was to have Pistorius remove his prosthetic legs just as he was finally getting to the all important part of his testimony, the night of the shooting.
Even though he wasn't on camera, I'm sure he struck a suitably vunerable figure as he recounted his terror of the unseen intruder he was sure was in his bathroom.
I, like half the world, have waited a long time to hear Oscar's version. I was kind of hoping that after all this build up he would at least have a half way plausible account, but no. In fact it sounds even worse now he says that Reeva was awake before him, and he spoke to her just before he heard the burglar, which means she must have some how snuck past him and into the toilet even as he was panicking and getting his gun, and stayed silent the whole time he was screaming and fumbling around in the dark.
I can't wait to see what Mr Nel has to say in the cross examination.

If a man speaks in a forest and no woman is there to hear him, is he still wrong?
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2014, 08:12:27 PM »

Guilty   
relaedgc

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2014, 11:25:37 AM »

It's an interesting case. I work with a South African and he said the problem with this media case is that we simply don't understand, and thus the media doesn't compensate for, the sheer brutality of society in SA. In the opinion of my colleague, the fear and reaction is entirely plausible and he believes that Oscar is innocent.

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster...when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you..."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2014, 11:43:00 AM »

I can't quite figure out how Reena was fully-clothed behind a locked bathroom door when she was supposed to be in bed with Oscar.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Redsgirl

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2014, 12:40:04 PM »

It's an interesting case. I work with a South African and he said the problem with this media case is that we simply don't understand, and thus the media doesn't compensate for, the sheer brutality of society in SA. In the opinion of my colleague, the fear and reaction is entirely plausible and he believes that Oscar is innocent.

On the contrary I think that it has been made obvious throughout the trial that this kind of violence is an everyday occurrence, almost every witness has refered to some instance of crime or expectation of crime, or their personal security measures and familiarity with guns, so much so that even though before watching I knew S. Africa was a 'rough' place, now I wonder why anyone would dare set foot out of their own front door.

That people would be paranoid over their safety doesn't require much of a stretch of the imagination at all, that's why it's such a brilliant defence.

Unfortunately that still doesn't explain how why when one person was in the grip of this, to him, desperate life or death situation, stumbling around in the dark and at one point screaming for the intruders to come out, his partner can casually slip past him into the toilet and wait there silently to be shot.

If a man speaks in a forest and no woman is there to hear him, is he still wrong?
gouty

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2014, 05:25:43 PM »

I spent the whole of yesterday in bed with a touch of the old gout waiting for the pills to kick in, and watched the whole days court session (and PMQs which was fkn mint).

Seemed pretty amazing what he was able to get away with. He was like a politician really, just saying what he wanted to, not actually answering any questions. He made a few clangers himself though. He should of said he may have put one foot on the balcony (when getting the fan) which would of saved 2 hours of testing his bail statement.

And when he stated in court about "re-working" his movements on the night I cringed. I get the feeling even his own team think he is wasting everyone's time.  The prosecution barrister is just a legend. "Why do you only get emotional when you get a question you cannot answer"?

Can't see me watching any more of it though, My Lady.
ripple11

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2014, 09:40:09 PM »

I can't quite figure out how Reena was fully-clothed behind a locked bathroom door when she was supposed to be in bed with Oscar.

She was wearing a t shirt and shorts apparently.

Caught a lot of the trial today, and  OP said something which I thought was very strange, that Nel didn't seem to pick up on.
 With "Duvet gate" OP said that he knows it should still have been on the bed because when he went to put on his legs on after the shooting ....

"I pushed the duvet back as I put the legs on the bed"

I mean given whats just happened.....why on earth would you think about moving the duvet and remember that!??
gouty

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2014, 10:28:57 PM »

Now I think about it. That lawyer just let him spew details out all day yesterday and is now tying him in knots. This could be like an episode of Crown Court from daytime telly years ago. He will end up confessing. He is gonna do the ultimate Narcissus, and break down and admit it.

I been with my Mrs 24 years and she ain't never locked the Bathroom door. In fact I wish she had locked it many times, and then again other times it was alright! Boom Boom.

How is he gonna explain to them about the locked door? I think this whole relationship may have been a con. Like a PR stunt?

Mi Lady. Mi Lady. I can't believe I watched it tonight. I feel bad watching it. It's OJ again. Just utterly fascinating how these guys minds work. How long does anyone think this trial will last? Any ideas?

Al
Redsgirl

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2014, 10:13:10 AM »

Now I think about it. That lawyer just let him spew details out all day yesterday and is now tying him in knots.This could be like an episode of Crown Court from daytime telly years ago. He will end up confessing. He is gonna do the ultimate Narcissus, and break down and admit it.

I been with my Mrs 24 years and she ain't never locked the Bathroom door. In fact I wish she had locked it many times, and then again other times it was alright! Boom Boom.

How is he gonna explain to them about the locked door? I think this whole relationship may have been a con. Like a PR stunt?

Mi Lady. Mi Lady. I can't believe I watched it tonight. I feel bad watching it. It's OJ again. Just utterly fascinating how these guys minds work. How long does anyone think this trial will last? Any ideas?

Al

This is exactly whats happening here.  Pistorius has given an incredibley detailed account of what happened on the night, one that covered all the tiny details that they assumed the prosecution would pick up on, even offering witnesses to prove things before they were asked to prove them.

But the thing is Mr Nel hasn't even really touched upon any of the obvious things you and I would be dying to ask, instead going back and forth between various events before and after the shooting, and showing how Oscar's magnificent recall fails him if he has to talk about anything but his well rehearsed story.
He does also seem to be occasionally trying to provoke him out of his 'tired and emotional' state, but I think Oscar is far to clever to lose his composure, I don't think he'll be confessing anytime soon.

BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2014, 11:49:27 AM »

If I shot my wife in the way he has suggested, I would be absolutely devastated. I couldn't live with myself and you could throw the book at me, I wouldn't care, it would be just rewards etc etc. I couldn't put up with weeks of questioning and reminding of the incident if it was genuinely an accident, it would push me over the edge. Just lock me up, and leave me to my misery.

This guy seems a happy little bunny away from court and then a wreck the second he is asked a question.

The point Ralph raises about being clothed, smells to all the world like she was sneaking off and he lost it.

Guilty. And throw away the key for wasting all our time.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
gouty

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2014, 12:49:26 AM »

If he breaks down and fesses up he will be more famous than Michael Jackson,which could be this guys goal in life.

Is he even sane? The whole thing is a farce. I know SA has a young legal system so this is hugely important that they get this right. Does anyone think that this lawyer can get it out of him?

Or not a chance?

This is better than OJ .
lucky_scrote

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2014, 01:18:57 AM »

There are so many discrepancies it's unbelievable. I'm a pretty level headed person and always ignore peoples responses when it comes to things like this but if he is innocent then I'll be damned. Going with the majority on this one.

At least if he gets away with a manslaughter charge he has up to 15 years to ponder on his mistakes. At some point he will confess anyway. Only problem with some compulsive liars that I know, they tell themselves the lie so well that they believe it themselves, no longer feeling guilty.

<3 ENSUING
stato_1 said, "banoffee pie i reckon"
stato_1 said, "this is delicious"
gouty

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2014, 09:23:38 PM »

There are so many discrepancies it's unbelievable. I'm a pretty level headed person and always ignore peoples responses when it comes to things like this but if he is innocent then I'll be damned. Going with the majority on this one.

At least if he gets away with a manslaughter charge he has up to 15 years to ponder on his mistakes. At some point he will confess anyway. Only problem with some compulsive liars that I know, they tell themselves the lie so well that they believe it themselves, no longer feeling guilty.
This is correct. I can't see him ever making a UK courtroom due to his mental state.

Hey Dan. My two best poker buddies just bought corp membership at Players. We are loving it. When you get back to Bristol you gotta come and play.

Al
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: