blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:51:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272591 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Oscar Pistorius trial
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Oscar Pistorius trial  (Read 20756 times)
Redsgirl

View Profile
« on: March 06, 2014, 11:52:04 AM »

Anybody been following this?

It always promised to be something of a circus, but it seems to be exceeding expectations just three days in, what with the steady annihilation of the first two witnesses, including identifying them on screen and broadcasting their phone number, a rather random testimony from a fellow sportsman about Pistorius firing a gun under a restaurant table and the daily frenzy outside the court.

I'm also surprised by the fact that there is no jury, and that the verdict will be decided by just one judge.
Can something so important for all involved come down to just one person's opinion?

There are lots of thing I've seen during the proceedings so far that have seemed just bizarre, though thankfully I've never been inside a British crown court, and maybe a high profile murder case over here would look just as sensational if they let the camera's in?
I really don't know, but I can't see this trial having any satisfactory outcome.

If a man speaks in a forest and no woman is there to hear him, is he still wrong?
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 12:04:29 PM »

Thought she was a burglar, yeah right  Roll Eyes

As with a few other countries, there are just too many damn guns in South Africa.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 12:06:34 PM by Woodsey » Logged
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 12:32:48 PM »

It always promised to be something of a circus, but it seems to be exceeding expectations just three days in, what with the steady annihilation of the first two witnesses, including identifying them on screen and broadcasting their phone number, a rather random testimony from a fellow sportsman about Pistorius firing a gun under a restaurant table and the daily frenzy outside the court.

I'm also surprised by the fact that there is no jury, and that the verdict will be decided by just one judge.
Can something so important for all involved come down to just one person's opinion?

There are lots of thing I've seen during the proceedings so far that have seemed just bizarre, though thankfully I've never been inside a British crown court, and maybe a high profile murder case over here would look just as sensational if they let the camera's in?
I really don't know, but I can't see this trial having any satisfactory outcome.

Makes the bribing easier.. if theres one thing more of than guns in South Africa its corruption...

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
Redsgirl

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 02:36:15 PM »

Makes the bribing easier.. if theres one thing more of than guns in South Africa its corruption...

Witnesses and police officers maybe, but the judge? Under the scrutiny of the whole world?

So many of South Africa's issues are highlighted by this case, domestic violence, eliteism, racial and gender inequality, gun crime as Woodsey mentioned and corruption amongst the ruling authorities as you pointed out.
I'd like to think with so much at stake he wont be able to buy his way out, but I worry he may benefit from the incompetence of the prosecuting team.

If a man speaks in a forest and no woman is there to hear him, is he still wrong?
Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 02:41:43 PM »

I dont always think its a bad thing that there is no jury. Jury's can easily be swayed, worn down with irrelevent stuff to create doubts where none exsist, especially in long cases involving famous people.
Omm

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 02:46:03 PM »

I dont always think its a bad thing that there is no jury. Jury's can easily be swayed, worn down with irrelevent stuff to create doubts where none exsist, especially in long cases involving famous people.

If it's was me I would prefer a jury, It just seems the fairest way of coming to a Democratic decision. I don't know enough about the justice system to give a reasoned arguement, let alone what it's like in SA, but normal people hearing evidence from both sides and then debating it in private and coming to a decision seems fair.
Acidmouse

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 02:51:35 PM »

If it's was me I would prefer a jury, It just seems the fairest way of coming to a Democratic decision. I don't know enough about the justice system to give a reasoned arguement, let alone what it's like in SA, but normal people hearing evidence from both sides and then debating it in private and coming to a decision seems fair.

Getting a jury without prior knowledge of the case would be hard. Zero chance they have no prior views on him as a person and the news coverage he recieved.

Not sure if thats good or bad for him tbh.
Omm

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 02:59:32 PM »

Getting a jury without prior knowledge of the case would be hard. Zero chance they have no prior views on him as a person and the news coverage he recieved.

Yeah, fair points. Very bad situation for all involved.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 03:15:13 PM »

Witnesses and police officers maybe, but the judge? Under the scrutiny of the whole world?

So many of South Africa's issues are highlighted by this case, domestic violence, eliteism, racial and gender inequality, gun crime as Woodsey mentioned and corruption amongst the ruling authorities as you pointed out.
I'd like to think with so much at stake he wont be able to buy his way out, but I worry he may benefit from the incompetence of the prosecuting team.

It surprises me when I realise that this bright, eloquent, socially aware young woman is the same person who used to sit on my knee and steal bits of my dinner while we discussed the exploits of Zippy and Bungle.

The older I get, the better I was.
Redsgirl

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 03:22:35 PM »

It surprises me when I realise that this bright, eloquent, socially aware young woman is the same person who used to sit on my knee and steal bits of my dinner while we discussed the exploits of Zippy and Bungle.

Aww!  I'm blushing now.
BTW I still steal bits of your dinner!  Grin

celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 03:40:48 PM »

Must take after her mum.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 07:01:30 PM »

The judge is experienced in law, so knows what 'reasonable doubt' actually means, for example, and is trained to take a balanced view and minimise the influence of emotions of their decisions, whereas juries tend to be less rational and more emotional in their decision-making. In this case, jurors may favour him because of his fame but might be biased against him because of the nature of the crime and his personality flaws that have emerged. This judge has previous for going hard on domestic violence and for speaking out on women's rights, but she is still much less likely to be prejudiced than a jury. Overall, though, the case against him is strong, so he would be better off with a jury due to their less rational and more unpredictable conclusions.
redsimon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 12:35:21 PM »

Jury trials were abolished in South Africa in 1969

Success has many parents but failure is an orphan

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk
Redsgirl

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 03:30:18 PM »

I dint always think its a bad thing that there is no jury. Jury's can easily be swayed, worn down with irrelevent stuff to create doubts where none exsist, especially in long cases involving famous people.

The judge is experienced in law, so knows what 'reasonable doubt' actually means, for example, and is trained to take a balanced view and minimise the influence of emotions of their decisions, whereas juries tend to be less rational and more emotional in their decision-making. In this case, jurors may favour him because of his fame but might be biased against him because of the nature of the crime and his personality flaws that have emerged. This judge has previous for going hard on domestic violence and for speaking out on women's rights, but she is still much less likely to be prejudiced than a jury. Overall, though, the case against him is strong, so he would be better off with a jury due to their less rational and more unpredictable conclusions.

Of course the judge is the best person for the job, but it's the fact that it's just the one I was surprised at.
I'm not sure but I think I saw a none jury trail in a British court where the verdict was decided by three judges, which seems a much fairer (although as you say wouldn't be of any advantage to Pistorius!)

rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 05:36:38 PM »

The case itself is fascinating. The bbc were offering a clickthrough three diamonds model of his house. I found that a touch spooky.

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: