blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:28:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Oscar Pistorius trial
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Oscar Pistorius trial  (Read 20779 times)
Redsgirl

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2014, 02:50:51 PM »

So, in keeping with this trial's movie like feeling, Judge has adjourned on a cliffhanger.

Thought Masipa has been amazing delivering her verdict, explaining her decisions clearly and very convincingly and even though I was disappointed when I sensed things were starting to lean Oscar's way, you couldn't fault her reasoning.
That was, until the last hour or so. She explained the error in persona/aberratio ictus stuff so beautifully that even I understood it, then seemed to contradict herself by saying he wouldn't have known someone could be killed if he fired through the door. 

I don't know, but I have complete faith that she will come to the right decision, she seems an incredibly astute lady.
All will be revealed tomorrow.

B.T.W. Pistorious should thank his lucky stars he has Judge Masipa and not a jury, or else the key would have been thrown away.

If a man speaks in a forest and no woman is there to hear him, is he still wrong?
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2014, 05:10:23 PM »

Why were you disappointed when you "sensed things were starting to lean Oscar's way"?  If her reasoning is sound, isn't her verdict going to be the correct one (as correct as a one-person judge and jury can be with the evidence they have heard and seen)?

He's going to get a manslaughter verdict (I think so anyway) - so he will go to prison.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2014, 05:15:05 PM »

He's going to get a manslaughter verdict (I think so anyway) - so he will go to prison.

Not neccesarily.  He could face a heavy financial penalty instead. 

Redsgirl

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2014, 05:36:57 PM »

Why were you disappointed when you "sensed things were starting to lean Oscar's way"?  If her reasoning is sound, isn't her verdict going to be the correct one (as correct as a one-person judge and jury can be with the evidence they have heard and seen)?

Hi Kin  Not heard much from you of late.

I probably should have explained myself better.
I'm so thoroughly convinced he's a bad un I was a little dismayed at first when after initially saying guilty to the firearm offences, she started dismissing witness testimonies and stuff, and I thought great, she's going to sell out after all.
But, after listening to her conclusions I realised the points she was making were completely proper and fair and I was allowing my dislike of the man to cloud my views.

As I said, she lost me a little toward the end of the session, but I have no doubt wherever she's going with this it will be the best outcome of a difficult case.

If a man speaks in a forest and no woman is there to hear him, is he still wrong?
baldock92

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2014, 01:17:34 AM »

I can't believe he's been cleared of murder... Really didn't think his case would stand up

Feed em rice.
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2014, 09:05:09 AM »

Literally watching the verdict now on BBC live and Judge Masipa looks totally uninspiring to me. She cant even differentiate between counts 2 and 3, and the day has just started.

You expect all your ducks in a row, if you know billions are watching. Just MHO.

Same as Baldock, this seems a sham.

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2014, 09:16:24 AM »

The problem is that the evidence isn't compelling enough to find him guilty of murder.   I the judge's head she might think that there is a 75% chance he had deliberately killed her, then she still can't find him guilty of murder as it has to be beyond reasonable doubt.  That is pretty much where I am, I think it is more likely that he deliberately killed her, but think the manslaughter verdict is probably the right one.   This is even if I think deep down he has probably got away with murder.  I do hope he is put away for some time. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2014, 09:42:56 AM »

Interesting how Pistorius can be acquitted of having illegal ammunition when, like, you know, like, he fired four shots from a gun....

as one wag suggested

"At this rate, the judge is going to end up convicting Reeva Steenkamp of perjury for claiming to be dead."

in general though i can see why the judge has gone where she has gone but would be a real eye opener if he gets off culpable homicide too, in my opinion

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
baldock92

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2014, 11:27:08 AM »

I sort of understand it has to be "beyond reasonable doubt" which perhaps it isn't.

But like Tighty said, if he gets off culpable homicide as well it will be ridiculous.

Feed em rice.
baldock92

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2014, 11:34:02 AM »

Looks like my previous post is irrelevant as he's just been found guilty of culpable homicide. 

Feed em rice.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2014, 12:14:27 PM »

Hi Kin  Not heard much from you of late.

I probably should have explained myself better.
I'm so thoroughly convinced he's a bad un I was a little dismayed at first when after initially saying guilty to the firearm offences, she started dismissing witness testimonies and stuff, and I thought great, she's going to sell out after all.
But, after listening to her conclusions I realised the points she was making were completely proper and fair and I was allowing my dislike of the man to cloud my views.

As I said, she lost me a little toward the end of the session, but I have no doubt wherever she's going with this it will be the best outcome of a difficult case.

I get ya. 

Well, looks like he's not going escape punishment now he's been found guilty of manslaughter.  Wonder what the sentence will be?

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2014, 12:32:22 PM »

I always thought if I was guilty of a crime, but trying to wiggle off the hook I'd have my best chance of walking free if tried by a jury.

Whereas if I was innocent, I'd rather take my chances with just a judge or magistrates.

This trial has proved me wrong I think.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
Redsgirl

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2014, 01:33:23 PM »

Glad we got some kind of guilty verdict in the end, although I still can't see how you can shoot someone through a door and not forsee their death.
I hope that the reason he was convicted of the lesser charge is because it is the safer conviction and less likely to be overturned on appeal, and she can still give him a lengthy jail term. I am a little doubtful of this though because she has dismissed almost all of the prosecutions case, including discrediting most of their witnesses,  so when the state puts forward its recommendations at the sentencing, there not going to have much to work with.

All in all I think she has come down on Pistorius side, and has taking his version as true, so unfortunately I don't think he'll se the inside of a cell at all.

The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2014, 03:29:41 PM »

Glad we got some kind of guilty verdict in the end, although I still can't see how you can shoot someone through a door and not forsee their death.
I hope that the reason he was convicted of the lesser charge is because it is the safer conviction and less likely to be overturned on appeal, and she can still give him a lengthy jail term. I am a little doubtful of this though because she has dismissed almost all of the prosecutions case, including discrediting most of their witnesses,  so when the state puts forward its recommendations at the sentencing, there not going to have much to work with.

All in all I think she has come down on Pistorius side, and has taking his version as true, so unfortunately I don't think he'll se the inside of a cell at all.

If she planned to put him away for a long time I doubt she'd grant him bail.

I get the feeling he's going to be treated very lightly.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2014, 06:34:10 PM »

Its a joke decision.

The judge saying it wasn't proved he was trying to kill her is baffling. What did she think firing 4 shots through a door into a small space going to do?

Just weird that he's been granted bail.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: