blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:55:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272622 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Rik Mayall RIP
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rik Mayall RIP  (Read 5073 times)
h

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2014, 09:19:14 PM »

Very sad loss.

for any one who missed early stuff u tube Kevin Turvey
FUN4FRASER

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2014, 10:43:12 PM »

So Sad .. Such a funny man and an Inspiration from my youth

RIP The Peoples Poet
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2014, 11:26:31 PM »

how did he pass away?

either way I loved the Young Ones.

RIP.

I could not help but wonder the same thing.

All I can find so far is this......

He died at home in London. The Metropolitan Police said the death was not believed to be suspicious.

They said they were called to reports of a sudden death of a man in his 50s at 13:19 BST on Monday, in Barnes in south west London.

London Ambulance Service said "a man, aged in his 50s, was pronounced dead at the scene".

"Sudden death" & "not suspicious" suggests a heart attack, perhaps.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/comedy/comedy-news/10887901/Rik-Mayall-may-have-died-after-fit-in-wake-of-bike-accident.html

The older I get, the better I was.
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2014, 11:37:03 PM »

RIP Rik

It's amazing to remember how controversial the alternative comedy movement was in the early 80s, when 'mainstream' comedy such as Morecambe & Wise, The Two Ronnies, etc were still at the height of their popularity.  It was very much a Marmite kind of thing - you either loved it or it was shit.

My personal memory of The Young Ones was that it was probably the first 'grown up' programme I was allowed to watch.  I didn't really fully understand it at the time (would have been around 9 or 10 I think) but it had swearing and violence in it, plus talk of girls and boobs and the like, and if you were one of the kids allowed to stay up until 9 to watch it then it carried a certain gravitas in the playground.

Nowadays, we take these things for granted in comedy programming, but none of it would have existed without the likes of Mayall, Edmondsen, Sayle, Elton, Fry & Laurie, French & Saunders, and the like.  Seeing one of them die at such a young age suddenly makes me feel old.  (To be fair, it was no doubt influenced by Monty Python, which was way ahead of it's time, so these were really the 'second wave' of alternative comedy.)

Sad news, and completely out of the blue too.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
Redsgirl

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2014, 12:02:02 AM »

Such a great loss. I always thought whoever he was playing,  from fabulous Flasheart to snivelly Rick in the Young ones,  the  characters were never far away from the how he
seemed in real life, deliciously horrible. 
I'm sure he's causing chaos wherever he's gone, no wonder they sent him back in '98.

If a man speaks in a forest and no woman is there to hear him, is he still wrong?
Claw75

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2014, 12:07:50 AM »

such sad and shocking news.  I was a bit young for the young ones first time round, but had the lot on VHS in my teens and know most episodes word for word. 

"it's a video nasty"  "It's a carpet, farty!"

RIP Rik

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon....no matter how good you are the bird is going to shit on the board and strut around like it won anyway"
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2014, 12:40:32 AM »

RIP Rik

It's amazing to remember how controversial the alternative comedy movement was in the early 80s, when 'mainstream' comedy such as Morecambe & Wise, The Two Ronnies, etc were still at the height of their popularity.  It was very much a Marmite kind of thing - you either loved it or it was shit.

My personal memory of The Young Ones was that it was probably the first 'grown up' programme I was allowed to watch.  I didn't really fully understand it at the time (would have been around 9 or 10 I think) but it had swearing and violence in it, plus talk of girls and boobs and the like, and if you were one of the kids allowed to stay up until 9 to watch it then it carried a certain gravitas in the playground.

Nowadays, we take these things for granted in comedy programming, but none of it would have existed without the likes of Mayall, Edmondsen, Sayle, Elton, Fry & Laurie, French & Saunders, and the like.  Seeing one of them die at such a young age suddenly makes me feel old.  (To be fair, it was no doubt influenced by Monty Python, which was way ahead of it's time, so these were really the 'second wave' of alternative comedy.)

Sad news, and completely out of the blue too.

+1 to all of this, used to be Terry and June on BBC1 at half seven and then all of a sudden The Young Ones appeared on BBC 2 at 9pm and TV comedy started to change from that moment.

Just watched the University challenge episode again, what a cast and so funny.

So very sad.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
Junior Senior

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2014, 01:59:00 AM »

legend.
RIP Rik Mayall
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2014, 03:22:26 AM »

Looking back on this now...

...reminds me of another great comic creation. The ability he had to get Richie to act so horrendously, with such comic timing, shot so cleverly and playing to the audience without the audience realising it was being played. It's such a special ability.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2014, 08:41:20 AM »

not normally that bothered by celeb death announcements, but was genuinely upset by this.

Obviously grew up with Young Ones, Filthy Rich & Cat Flap, New Statesman, Bottom, Dangerous Brothers, etc, but as a young rock fan and wanna be rock start, Bad News was compulsive watching for me and my young mates. we could rattle off whole sections of both the Comic Strip TV shows and the comedy interludes of the album, plus of course we jammed Warriours Of Genghis Khan, Masterbike, Hey Hey Bad News, etc

Very sad loss.
RIP Colin Grigson Sad

This. Personally have always preferred it to Spinal Tap.

When they fight at the end about who gets to be Pete Townsend.

misread your post and thought you'd said "Personaly, I've always prefered Spinal Tap."

I was about to call you all sorts of idiot, but caught my error just in time Smiley

"The first time I went rumpty dumpty, yes, but the second time I went badadda like a fury."

"I've got a cut on my finger."
"Can you use a different finger?"
"Well ok, I can try, but it might mean using a different string."
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2014, 02:51:49 PM »

We were born just 7 days apart, so I suppose you could say that Rik Mayall was a comedian of my generation, but he transcended all that, he made me laugh, he made my mam laugh and he made my grandchildren laugh. No doubt at some point in the future, he will make my great grand children laugh too.

I've been reading tributes to him all day, these are a couple of the of the ones I found most  poignant.

My dad was loved not only by my family, but by many many others. We will never forget him and neither will the world.

RIP to the man, the myth, the legend - my wonderful, generous, foul mouthed and hysterical father. My idol now and forever.

Riks daughter Bonnie.

The word genius has been cheapened by overuse, but in Rik's case no other word will do.

Maurice Gran. Co-writer of The New Statesman.

RIP Rik.

The older I get, the better I was.
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2014, 07:17:04 PM »

The word genius has been cheapened by overuse, but in Rik's case no other word will do.

Maurice Gran. Co-writer of The New Statesman.

RIP Rik.

this really resonated with me as well.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2014, 08:05:49 PM »

Such a great loss. I always thought whoever he was playing,  from fabulous Flasheart to snivelly Rick in the Young ones,  the  characters were never far away from the how he
seemed in real life, deliciously horrible. 
I'm sure he's causing chaos wherever he's gone, no wonder they sent him back in '98.

Great summary of the man.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
willrobrobu

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2014, 05:36:45 PM »

have a fond childhood memory of rik mayall. my mum wouldnt let me watch bottom at the time, cant remember exactly how old i was, maybe 11? but everyone at school was talking about it so i sneakily set our VCR to record it and then watched it when my mum was out. only had one episode but watched it about a dozen times before i recorded over it for fear of getting caught.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2014, 12:38:59 AM »

how did he pass away?

either way I loved the Young Ones.

RIP.

I could not help but wonder the same thing.

All I can find so far is this......

He died at home in London. The Metropolitan Police said the death was not believed to be suspicious.

They said they were called to reports of a sudden death of a man in his 50s at 13:19 BST on Monday, in Barnes in south west London.

London Ambulance Service said "a man, aged in his 50s, was pronounced dead at the scene".

"Sudden death" & "not suspicious" suggests a heart attack, perhaps.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/comedy/comedy-news/10887901/Rik-Mayall-may-have-died-after-fit-in-wake-of-bike-accident.html

It would seem that Rik died of "acute cardiac event" (aka "heart attack").

Several press reports suggest he had gained a great deal of weight recently.

His funeral took place today.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2662486/Last-respects-comic-genius-Friends-family-Rik-Mayall-including-Ben-Elton-Dawn-French-Ruby-Wax-gather-Devon-church-Young-Ones-stars-funeral.html

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: