blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:08:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  A Thread for Green Fingers
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Thread for Green Fingers  (Read 7897 times)
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2014, 11:18:04 AM »

I wanted to say 'compost' but then I am not sure it is compost. Had to satisfy the curiosity, here it is hidden under odds and sods:-

Click to see full-size image.

Don't you have an allotment? Thought you would be an expert...

I did get a couple of bags from a garden centre originally, I just wasn't sure if they had some sort of use by date or they lost their nutrients.

I will write those names down and pay a trip back to B&Q at some point. They have drainage in that when you tip water in them it dribbles out the bottom onto the front door step.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2014, 11:20:25 AM »

I wanted to say 'compost' but then I am not sure it is compost. Had to satisfy the curiosity, here it is hidden under odds and sods:-

Don't you have an allotment? Thought you would be an expert...

I did get a couple of bags from a garden centre originally, I just wasn't sure if they had some sort of use by date or they lost their nutrients.

I will write those names down and pay a trip back to B&Q at some point. They have drainage in that when you tip water in them it dribbles out the bottom onto the front door step.

Good work Mark.

I've had a gardening expert examine that photo, & he reckons that is a child's pushchair & a golf bag.

Love the Hanging Basket explanation, too. Water dribbles ongo the front step. Yup, gotcha.

You must excuse me, I'm not dissing you, but I've got some fires burning elsewhere, & this thread is so theraupautic!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 11:22:26 AM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2014, 11:23:38 AM »

could you please tidy your shed up?

ocd palpitations here

thanks

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2014, 11:26:04 AM »

Oh deary dear, what have I started....

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2014, 11:30:59 AM »

That child's pushchair also doubles up as a golf trolley on occasion.

The zoom out shot would have you far more worried. It's impossible to store old bits of cupboard, fish tanks, cardboard boxes, golf gear and garden paraphernalia neatly.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2014, 11:45:36 AM »

much cheaper to do it yourself,and much more satisfing too

This is excellent advice for virtually any situation.

The older I get, the better I was.
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2014, 12:59:52 PM »

Thank you for the excellent patio advice. It is looking much better now. Needs another couple of go's but much more respectable.

I need to sort this out now:-

I have one either side of the front door. At the moment they just have some compost/dirt in from last year.

Are the pre-made versions of these usually good value or am I better filling them myself? I have some compost/dirt in the shed that I got last year but it's open, will this be OK? I assume I need to change the dirt from last year..

If I make them myself then what sort of plants do I need to be looking for? They would be getting a fair bit of sun.

Defo do it yourself, flowers this time of year are usually very cheap as it is later in the season, they will also be mature so can fill the baskets
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2019, 09:48:30 PM »

Gone are the days when a few weeds caused us problems.

We now have issues with a lawn.

Garden" border="0

I mowed it a couple of nights ago and you can see where the lawn has been laid. Its really patchy and it's all in lines. It doesn't feel like a complete lawn but lines of turf with ruts of mud in between.

Any lawn experts about? I have picked up some grass seed, do you just sprinkle it about?
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2019, 10:37:56 PM »

Grass is the world's most successful plant. Just mow it regularly and watch it thrive.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2019, 09:49:48 AM »

Grass is the world's most successful plant. Just mow it regularly and watch it thrive.

if only...

My front lawn just fills with weeds.  I use 4 in one lawn care, and it does seem to make the lawn grow more vigorously, but doesn't seem to kill weeds.   I also use a scarifier once or twice a year, but then the lawn looks a state after you have used it.

If you are putting seed down, I'd scarify it first, or something similar, then put a net over the repaired bit of ground for a few weeks.  Where I am, the seeds just get taken by the local birds if I don't put the net over.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2019, 04:40:44 PM »

I might just leave the seeds for a month or so and see how it does with regular mowing.

I have only just moved in and the lawn was only laid a couple of months ago. Hoping it beds in a bit and looks a little more even after a summer of sun.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2019, 08:19:17 PM »

I might just leave the seeds for a month or so and see how it does with regular mowing.

I have only just moved in and the lawn was only laid a couple of months ago. Hoping it beds in a bit and looks a little more even after a summer of sun.

Yeah, if it has only been there for 2 months, just let it fill in.   I would get some of that 4 in 1 stuff rather than grass seed for now.   If you do put seed down leave it for a couple of weeks before mowing and don't put seed down when it looks like a dry week ahead.   

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Supernova

He who laughs last didn't get it.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2019, 09:02:51 AM »

Are any Blondes in a seed exchange and does it work for you? I ask as I was buying flower and veg seeds in small amounts online as I couldn't use them all in normal quantities and the shelf life was too short and then I googled seed swap and wondered if anyone had tried it?

And I need you more than want you.
And I want you for all time.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2019, 01:24:05 PM »

Bump for Supernova in case anyone missed it who can help.

But also - my wife likes the idea of using old chipped cereal bowls as pots for plants to put in our garden.

I can make the aesthetic work but I'm guessing this would mean plants/flowers with shallow roots and who can stand up to the occasional over watering (because of the lack of drainage through the bowls).

Anyone got any ideas of flowers or plants that would fit the bill? Or a way to put holes in cereal bowls without the bowl just cracking apart?

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2019, 01:29:27 PM »

Bump for Supernova in case anyone missed it who can help.

But also - my wife likes the idea of using old chipped cereal bowls as pots for plants to put in our garden.

I can make the aesthetic work but I'm guessing this would mean plants/flowers with shallow roots and who can stand up to the occasional over watering (because of the lack of drainage through the bowls).

It can be done.

https://www.eternaltools.com/blog/how-to-drill-through-plates

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: