blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:22:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272604 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  The Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games Thread
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games Thread  (Read 6625 times)
icles test

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2014, 10:08:26 PM »

[/quote]

Joke.  I remember when 8.20 didn't even get you in the final of major long jumping events 20 years ago.  The event is a shadow of the old days.
[/quote]

Yeah I wouldnt mind be he seems to think hes something special and not just top of a dung pile. Same as 400m hurdles was bemused they were interested in weather the english guy would be fastest loser for the final after barely going under 50 seconds. ed moses would have finished before they got to the last hurdle
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2014, 10:15:37 PM »

It's hard not to like the kid.  He has made the best of his natural talent.  (my gf at school was an english schools long jumper back in the early 90s so i know a fair bit about the event and loved watching it back then.  Even in a regional meet back then in the midlands i saw a guy jump 8.10 in 1993).  I just hated the bbc comm's talking about him winning the grand slam of long jump golds and struggled not to fall off my chair laughing during the medal presentation!
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2014, 10:22:25 PM »

It's hard not to like the kid.  He has made the best of his natural talent.  (my gf at school was an english schools long jumper back in the early 90s so i know a fair bit about the event and loved watching it back then.  Even in a regional meet back then in the midlands i saw a guy jump 8.10 in 1993).  I just hated the bbc comm's talking about him winning the grand slam of long jump golds and struggled not to fall off my chair laughing during the medal presentation!

I can feel a boxing rant coming on.

And breathe...

Suppressed. Back to long jump.

I agree with everything you've said - although I don't find him all that loveable; I'm completely indifferent towards him; neither one way nor t'other - but it's not his fault the competition is weak.

If I entered the WSOP main event and only three other people bother entering and I won, I won't care who tells me it was a farce world title.

No different to David Haye winning the world heavyweight title.

(Dammit!!)

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2014, 10:31:11 PM »

what did Ginger jump to win gold in the long jump?

8.20m I think

Joke.  I remember when 8.20 didn't even get you in the final of major long jumping events 20 years ago.  The event is a shadow of the old days.

Not at the commonwealth games.  Plus it was infinitely harder to test for roids 20 years ago.

Not
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2014, 10:47:02 PM »

And breathe...

I agree with everything you've said - although I don't find him all that loveable; I'm completely indifferent towards him; neither one way nor t'other - but it's not his fault the competition is weak.

If I entered the WSOP main event and only three other people bother entering and I won, I won't care who tells me it was a farce world title.

(Dammit!!)

Don't want to derail, but isn't Haye one of the top heavyweights in the world? A lot more credible than twenty years ago when Bruno found himself with a world title.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2014, 10:52:49 PM »

And breathe...

(Dammit!!)

Don't want to derail, but isn't Haye one of the top heavyweights in the world? A lot more credible than twenty years ago when Bruno found himself with a world title.

And Greg Rutherford is one of the best long jumpers in the world.

TBF I could have picked a lot of more/less deserving people but Haye had more hype than most and was better for illustrative purposes.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2014, 10:53:37 PM »

Is haye even a heavyweight never mind one of the best in the world?
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2014, 10:54:41 PM »

Is haye even a heavyweight never mind one of the best in the world?

Let's not do this or I'll be upsetting everyone again by mentioning Calzaghe.

Anyone watching the gymnastics?

MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2014, 11:13:04 PM »

I'm a bit behind, watching on iPlayer. Just heard Denise Lewis say that this means as much to Rutherford as the Olympics. What?
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2014, 11:28:15 PM »

I'm a bit behind, watching on iPlayer. Just heard Denise Lewis say that this means as much to Rutherford as the Olympics. What?

I know the bbc effort tonight in the studio was very bad at times.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2014, 11:30:29 PM »

I know the bbc effort tonight in the studio was very bad at times.

I am a massive Michael Johnson fan. I think he's a fantastic analyst: clear, logical, well paced explanations, nicely balanced views and doesn't rubbish anyone else, even if they say something utterly stupid.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2014, 09:27:03 PM »

Looking forward to a typical night out in Glasgow...

At least Lulu is singing live.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: