blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:19:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272608 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  The Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games Thread
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games Thread  (Read 6635 times)
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2014, 08:42:32 PM »

Swimming has been enjoyable with the British teams competing well with the Aussies. Huge progress from the Worlds, looks promising for Rio.

So it seems like the young Brits are really good at Swimming this year. Would our boys and girls get crushed by the Yanks or is this really the start of some great years ahead for British swimmers?
icles test

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2014, 08:54:23 PM »

Swimming has been enjoyable with the British teams competing well with the Aussies. Huge progress from the Worlds, looks promising for Rio.

So it seems like the young Brits are really good at Swimming this year. Would our boys and girls get crushed by the Yanks or is this really the start of some great years ahead for British swimmers?

We always look decent in commnwealths.....

Halsalls gold was world class. Basically you need to look at events where there is a world class swimmer like le clos and then judge the performance.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2014, 09:00:43 PM »

We underperformed at major events across a couple of groupings of swimmers from 2002-12 (especially up to 2007 under the coach Sweetenham), with the odd exception like Adlington, so much so that funding was cut as results did not meet targets

since then the training methods and regimes have changed, from top down, and we have a talented set of 19-22 year old swimmers for rio and beyond

ben proud especially looks like he could be a world star. only 19 and even though le clos has had a down year (training problems, injuries) proud beat him fair and square here

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
icles test

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2014, 09:09:11 PM »

Good that they let the 13 year old swim early so she didnt miss her bedtime.
Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2014, 09:10:36 PM »

We underperformed at major events across a couple of groupings of swimmers from 2002-12 (especially up to 2007 under the coach Sweetenham), with the odd exception like Adlington, so much so that funding was cut as results did not meet targets

since then the training methods and regimes have changed, from top down, and we have a talented set of 19-22 year old swimmers for rio and beyond

ben proud especially looks like he could be a world star. only 19 and even though le clos has had a down year (training problems, injuries) proud beat him fair and square here

The commonwealth's are the lowest regarded of the major comps.  For many athletes they won't be peaking at ths event so I'd take the results with a pinch of salt sure its great for the competitor and the family etc to see them win medals but more often than not commonwealth form will not translate into world form.  
icles test

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2014, 09:14:01 PM »

The commonwealth's are the lowest regarded of the major comps.  For many athletes they won't be peaking at ths event so I'd take the results with a pinch of salt sure its great for the competitor and the family etc to see them win medals but more often than not commonwealth form will not translate into world form.  

Depends on the event and strength of other nations in world terms in that event. Australian sport is in the worst I can remember and they would be looking at this to build towards the olympics.

If you dont win here you wont win in rio so its the first box to tick.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2014, 09:14:37 PM »

it doesn't change my point. the 19-22 year olds that the united kingdom have now have a lot of potential, only a few of these will be world class but its encouraging to see them turn up at a major and perform PBs, with a British history of often flopping at majors in the last decade

My eyes are open wide
stribling

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2014, 07:37:40 PM »

Why is Radisha @ 1.57. Seems huge odds. Isn't he far beyond everyone. Injuries?

You have to Risk it for the biscuit!!!
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2014, 07:45:12 PM »

Just back from injury, but on the basis of his heat and improvement from his recent diamond league win then should win reasonably comfortably

He was over 3 seconds quicker than Amos of Botswana, his main rival, and silver medalist in london, in the heats

My eyes are open wide
icles test

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2014, 09:16:06 PM »

Rudisha only went favourite for the event after the heats. Amos was rightful favourite before that as he soundly beat rudisha in the last meeting.
icles test

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2014, 09:24:24 PM »

Just back from injury, but on the basis of his heat and improvement from his recent diamond league win then should win reasonably comfortably

He was over 3 seconds quicker than Amos of Botswana, his main rival, and silver medalist in london, in the heats

Times arent relevant as rudisha front runs so his heat will always be faster.

It would be like comparing kingman to frankel based on todays times.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2014, 09:25:15 PM »

what did Ginger jump to win gold in the long jump?
icles test

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2014, 09:27:29 PM »

8.20m I think
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2014, 09:43:29 PM »

8.20m I think

Joke.  I remember when 8.20 didn't even get you in the final of major long jumping events 20 years ago.  The event is a shadow of the old days.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2014, 09:48:31 PM »

8.20m I think

Joke.  I remember when 8.20 didn't even get you in the final of major long jumping events 20 years ago.  The event is a shadow of the old days.

This.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: