blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 12:09:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272572 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  To sell, swap or stick.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: To sell, swap or stick.  (Read 5039 times)
Knottikay

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2014, 12:14:34 PM »

Hi all, I am asking for some advice here on the whole staking/backing/exchanging %'s   in live poker.

I am from next door and next week play the UKPC 6 max Main Event at DTD after fluking my seat into the game. It is my biggest game ever and the nerves are already kicking in. I am just an average (or just below average) rec player but do ok at the lower level games (£2-£20) tournaments on line. I have one min cash in a dozen or so live poker games I have played in so far.This was a SPT in Luton a couple of years ago. I normally crush the fun SnG's after though when the pressure is off.

Here is my dilemma......

a) Do I try to sell some of my action to close poker friends to help with costs?

b) Would it be better to just see if I could swap some action with them?

c) Should I just not even consider either of the above two as I am not really that confident of doing well anyway?

I am in a poker team, but thought I would see what people think on Blonde before posting (or not posting) on my team page.

Any advice welcome. Cheers.

Alan

Life has no rebuy options
smurf

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 12:40:51 PM »

I think selling action when you admit to having no confidence of doing well is a bit harsh on any backers...I would just play it, enjoy the experience, watch and learn from others and see where it takes you...you never know you just might surprise yourself.
Knottikay

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 12:58:33 PM »

I think selling action when you admit to having no confidence of doing well is a bit harsh on any backers...I would just play it, enjoy the experience, watch and learn from others and see where it takes you...you never know you just might surprise yourself.

Thanks for your reply.

I was more leaning towards this option myself TBH. I would only be asking personal poker friends, but like you say, it would probably be unfair/harsh to do this as they might feel obliged to assist me but not have any faith in me anyway themselves.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 01:04:03 PM »

I'd just swap a bit with people in your team.  If they aren't used to playing big buy ins you'll all be in the same boat anyway.  I wouldn't feel guilty about this at all.  If you see Ryan all, try and get 5% there!

Just have fun, and good luck, anybody can bink one of these. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Knottikay

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 01:18:46 PM »

I'd just swap a bit with people in your team.  If they aren't used to playing big buy ins you'll all be in the same boat anyway.  I wouldn't feel guilty about this at all.  If you see Ryan all, try and get 5% there!

Thanks for your reply.

We have got all different level of players in our team TBF. It is more of a social thing than the poker side. In fact, one of the lads in our group managed to bink the HR in Marbella the other month......so I will defo be asking him for a swap!  Roll Eyes

Still unsure what to do, but still got over a week to decide.

TL900

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 01:19:14 PM »

swapping with friends/people you respect has so many more benefits than selling so I'd do that if I won a seat and cost wasnt an issue.

@MtSpewmore
Quote from: jgcblack
I wouldn't normally try so hard, but didn't have another opportunity I could wait for. I wasn't ready to surrender what I WANTED SO MUCH, that easily, I couldn't guarantee a call with me staying stoic and relying on a flinch "top pair" calling reflex.
Magic817

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 02:44:44 PM »

I reckon swapping is the way to go, I am sure you will know who is of a similar ability to you either in your team/on the site so fire around a few PMs and swap some small % then you/they have some sweats.

From the short luckbox from next door!
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 06:19:19 PM »

Hi Alan,

+1 to the above, really.

As long as you swap or sell @ par, it's up to you & them, they all pretty much know your abilities.

The hard-nosed might well say "what's the point?", but that would miss the point. Never underestimate the "vicarious" thing, folks like to be part of these things, & love a sweat if possible. Not that they'd get much of a sweat, like..... 

Good luck, win the lot for both the Stoke City fans on blonde. That's you & one other.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
gouty

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 10:14:50 PM »

Swaps means drunken rails on final tables.

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 10:21:02 PM »

Hi Alan,

+1 to the above, really.

As long as you swap or sell @ par, it's up to you & them, they all pretty much know your abilities.

The hard-nosed might well say "what's the point?", but that would miss the point. Never underestimate the "vicarious" thing, folks like to be part of these things, & love a sweat if possible. Not that they'd get much of a sweat, like..... 

Good luck, win the lot for both the Stoke City fans on blonde. That's you & one other.

There are at least two others!  Me and KevB
Dubai

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 10:58:38 PM »

Just take all your action, gamble and enjoy the experience would be my advice, don't get too hung up on the money especially if its a one off- just have fun
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 02:22:38 AM »

Just take all your action, gamble and enjoy the experience would be my advice, don't get too hung up on the money especially if its a one off- just have fun

agree with this

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
baldock92

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2014, 02:30:08 AM »

If you have other friends in the tournament maybe swap a small %, but don't think selling action is right in this situation. Good luck and enjoy!

Feed em rice.
Knottikay

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2014, 11:17:33 AM »

Some good replies. Thanks TL900, Matt, Tikay, Dubai, Pleno & baldrock.......plus anyone I have missed!

Decided selling will be a negative. Out of a team of about 40 odd, there is only one other playing ATM afaik. Hopefully, I will be able to swap some action with him.

baldock92

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2014, 11:23:40 AM »

Hi Alan,

+1 to the above, really.

There are at least two others!  Me and KevB

Wow, I thought I was the only stoke fan around. GL GL. Watch Pottermouths Battlecry before you play the main event for inspiration, guaranteed final table then Wink

Feed em rice.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: