blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:41:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272539 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Buying a bar/restaurant - information
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Buying a bar/restaurant - information  (Read 3030 times)
jezza777

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 10:31:48 PM »

How can someone not make money from selling drink at £4 a pint?

Most of it goes to the government.

Pads, I have never heard of the deposit thing. Perhaps he just wants to make sure you are serious?
I run a (successful)pub at the moment , feel free to shout if you want any advice.

Jez
RedFox

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2014, 11:58:17 PM »

I would not give any deposit but maybe offer to sign a non-disclosure document for confidentiality.

If the seller wants a deposit it maybe to ensure you have the finance to go ahead and not a time waster.

Most sellers would be happy if they could get confirmation from your bank or solicitor to show you are genuine and have the finance available to go ahead after due diligence checks.

Good luck.
Pawprint

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2014, 12:04:15 AM »

Absolutely no reason to be paying any sort of deposit.

He is entitled to ask for 'proof of funds' to get some confidence that you are genuine, but if he is actively looking to sell, then he should have accounts on hand to help justify the price he is looking for.

It's still very much a buyers market when it comes to the bar/restaurant trade.  Although owners will claim that revenues are on the up, they are still way off the levels of 4-5 years ago.

I've been working with a client for a number of months now on a small restaurant purchase.  It still always amazes me the valuations that some owners put on their businesses.

Good luck with the transaction.  Just make sure you've done your own homework and don't rely on the numbers the owner will provide to make any decisions.

BorntoBubble

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2014, 12:06:41 AM »

I've been under the impression that the restaurant trade did well during the last 5 years but has started to struggle now as the economy has started to pick up.

"ace high"

http://plascolwyn.co.uk/ - 9 Bed Self Catering Holiday let in Snowdonia, North Wales Pm for more details.

Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CalMorgan7
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2014, 12:08:53 AM »

How can someone not make money from selling drink at £4 a pint?

Overheads. You might do ok at the weekends, but think of the week nights where you might only sell 30-50 pints. The profits is small beans compared to food.

Small beans are food.

The older I get, the better I was.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2014, 12:10:43 AM »

I've been under the impression that the restaurant trade did well during the last 5 years but has started to struggle now as the economy has started to pick up.

What logic is there behind this statement?  Seems totally the reverse of what should happen.  Eating out is an unnecessary luxury to the masses and is cut to a minimum when times are hard and demand for it increases as the economy booms.
BorntoBubble

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2014, 12:17:28 AM »

What logic is there behind this statement?  Seems totally the reverse of what should happen.  Eating out is an unnecessary luxury to the masses and is cut to a minimum when times are hard and demand for it increases as the economy booms.

This is what I thought, then looked into about 10 restaurants in my local area and they seem to have had the exact opposite effect, I'm trying to sell two restaurants at the minute and all are wanting to pay massively under the odds even though the rest of the market is seeing a bit of a resurgence. We are seeing properties going for on asking price or over for the first time in 4 years yet not for restaurants!

"ace high"

http://plascolwyn.co.uk/ - 9 Bed Self Catering Holiday let in Snowdonia, North Wales Pm for more details.

Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2014, 12:20:03 AM »

Absolutely not mate, been a big down turn and many of the lesser places just haven't survived, it's slowly picking up though now but still a mile away from where it was pre bank crisis. One of my bros was telling me about it only the other week, they saw no difference for a good 18 months after the crash and then it was like someone just pulled a rug out from under them with no warning. They had to cut back a fair bit themselves as they had a very good life on the back of what that particular place was making before it went tits up. Fortunately they are good enough to still be making an ok living and are on their way up again.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 12:25:47 AM by Woodsey » Logged
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2014, 12:31:33 AM »

Absolutely not mate, been a big down turn and many of the lesser places just haven't survived, it's slowly picking up though now but still a mile away from where it was pre bank crisis. One of my bros was telling me about it only the other week, they saw no difference for a good 18 months after the crash and then it was like someone just pulled a rug out from under them with no warning. They had to cut back a fair bit themselves as they had a very good life on the back of what that particular place was making before it went tits up. Fortunately they are good enough to still be making an ok living and are on their way up again.

All of this is true plus interest rates will never get lower so as they rise the disposable income floating around in middle england will be reduced again and eating out is one of the first things to go/get cut back by the masses
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2014, 12:32:28 AM »

this is in budapest, huge student scene/tourist scene and bar is next door to the biggest club here.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2014, 12:34:52 AM »

this is in budapest, huge student scene/tourist scene and bar is next door to the biggest club here.

Sure.  I gather most of the stuff we are talking about probably isn't relevant to your project as we have gone off track somewhat.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2014, 12:35:34 AM »

Why is the guy so keen to sell this goldmine in the perfect location?
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2014, 12:36:12 AM »

Why is the guy so keen to sell this goldmine in the perfect location?

This is what I would want to know....
BorntoBubble

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2014, 12:39:24 AM »

Why is he closing/selling? Think this is key also!

"ace high"

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: