blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 08, 2024, 12:31:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272928 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Ched Evans
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 45 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ched Evans  (Read 114171 times)
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2014, 04:59:47 PM »

Luke McCormick (sp?) is captain of Plymouth - I peronally find that more repellant that Evans, but again he's served his sentence so it's up to Plymouth.

McCormack killed those children by accident.

The accident was caused by his negligence, stupidity and downright disregard for the drink/driving laws.

But it was still an accident when all is said and done.

Ched Evans did not rape this girl by accident.

Huge difference.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2014, 05:00:15 PM »

Repeating myself here but anyway

He maintains his innocence, im sure it would be a lot easier for him and i'm sure he is being pressured to show remorse

I imagine that is not easy to do if you are innocent
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2014, 05:02:01 PM »

If Sheff Utd (or whoever) think that the damage to their brand is worth employing him then that's up to them.   I wouldn't want to employ him, but I don't have a problem if someone does after he's served his sentence.  Aren't we all supposed to be about rehabilitation these days?

But he's not rehabilitated at all.

He still maintains innocence and his "supporters" are still harrassing and bullying the victim.

He comes out and admits what he did was wrong and then we can think about reintergrating him into society.

Agreed - but see my point afterwards.  His stance is that he has been wrongly convicted.  Seems logical for him to have this mindset if he is still trying to clear his name?  Point taken about the harrassment of the victim.
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2014, 05:04:33 PM »

If Sheff Utd (or whoever) think that the damage to their brand is worth employing him then that's up to them.   I wouldn't want to employ him, but I don't have a problem if someone does after he's served his sentence.  Aren't we all supposed to be about rehabilitation these days?

He still maintains innocence and his "supporters" are still harrassing and bullying the victim.

He comes out and admits what he did was wrong and then we can think about reintergrating him into society.

Agreed - but see my point afterwards.  His stance is that he has been wrongly convicted.  Seems logical for him to have this mindset if he is still trying to clear his name?  Point taken about the harrassment of the victim.

Well if that's his position, he shouldn't be allowed to play unless he clears his name.

I wouldn't want a rapist playing for QPR regardless how good he was.

The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2014, 05:06:06 PM »

If this guy was a Sheff Weds player then Blades fans would be unanimous in their opposition to him playing again.

Anyone who looks on this case in partisan terms is mindboggingly narrow minded.

DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 20, 2014, 05:06:56 PM »

Luke McCormick (sp?) is captain of Plymouth - I peronally find that more repellant that Evans, but again he's served his sentence so it's up to Plymouth.

The accident was caused by his negligence, stupidity and downright disregard for the drink/driving laws.

Huge difference.

I see your point, but I don't think we should let McCormack off by calling it an "accident".  His behaviour led directly to 2 kids being killed.  
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 20, 2014, 05:12:23 PM »

Well if that's his position, he shouldn't be allowed to play unless he clears his name.

I wouldn't want a rapist playing for QPR regardless how good he was.

But why shouldn't he work?  He's served his sentence for the crime after being found guilty.   In the meantime he's still trying to clear his name.  I don't see why he should abandon trying to clear his name just to speed up him being able to play football again.

Where do we draw the line?  Troy Deeney kicked the living daylights out of someone and went to jail 2 years ago (although he has expressed remorse).  McCormick ended two kids lives at the wheel (again showing remorse).   Is remorse really the key here?  If Evans makes a fake apology does he get the green light?
samurai

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 20, 2014, 05:17:47 PM »

If Evans did show remorse the persistent denigration and harassment of the victim would show it to be false. So he can't really do that now.
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 20, 2014, 05:23:55 PM »

Yes that's true - he and his supporters have boxed him into a corner in that respect.
Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 20, 2014, 05:58:32 PM »

http://www.miscarriagesofjustice.org/

Maybe a few on here should take a look at that site.
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 20, 2014, 06:11:36 PM »

nearly 6000 miscarriages of justice in 11 years?

There were over 20 million cases in that time so the chances are it's probably not relevant

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 20, 2014, 06:11:56 PM »

Huge difference.

I see your point, but I don't think we should let McCormack off by calling it an "accident".  His behaviour led directly to 2 kids being killed.  

That's results orientated thinking. It's the sort of thinking Joe Public and the Daily Mail thrive on.

But as poker players we are above that, right?

Logically Luke McCormack should have got the same sentence for his crime as if he didn't kill 2 children.

Anyone who gets behind a wheel of the car having drunk the exact same amount is capable of doing just what he did. Yet they would just get a heavy fine and a 2 year driving ban.

If that's right for them, it's the sentence Luke McCormack should have got.

(Actually I think 6 weeks in jail is a suitable punishment for drink drivers. It would act as massive detterent and cut drink driving by 90%+ at a stroke)

Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 20, 2014, 06:13:16 PM »

nearly 6000 miscarriages of justice in 11 years?

There were over 20 million cases in that time so the chances are it's probably not relevant

I would say any miscarriage of justice is relevant. 
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 20, 2014, 06:18:05 PM »

Camel by that logic there should be no difference between murder and attempted murder. We're just being results orientated there as well!
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 20, 2014, 06:21:57 PM »

Camel by that logic there should be no difference between murder and attempted murder. We're just being results orientated there as well!

Obviously there's no differencew between murder and attempted. Life for both obv.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 45 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: