blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 08, 2024, 05:16:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272928 Posts in 66760 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Ched Evans
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 ... 45 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ched Evans  (Read 114233 times)
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: January 09, 2015, 12:15:33 PM »

“The arguments against Ched Evans playing again are so vacuous as to be beyond parody” Rod Liddle:

http://www.spectator.co.uk/columnists/rod-liddle/9410182/the-utterly-ludicrous-and-petty-campaign-against-ched-evans/

That is pretty close to how I view his case too.

Strange to see someone as clued up as DMorgan claim that a piece that dispassionately states exactly what has happened and how differently to all other convicted criminals he is being treated now as pro Evans.  It makes it look like you only want to believe anti Evans stuff so are just looking to devalue anything that says anything in his favour.

Hes a convicted rapist being held to standards and conditions no other criminal has to adhere to and it is clearly not an open and shut case against him. If he is guilty he is still being held to standards and conditions no other person with similar convictions is being held to.

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: January 09, 2015, 12:23:15 PM »

Jean Hatchet on full steam on twitter again this morning, enjoying the online fame.  Even managed to have a row with Steve Brookstein!
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: January 09, 2015, 12:38:49 PM »

A £500k a year city trader is as much a role model to thousands of A level Economics students as Evans is a role model in the UK to thousands of kids who want to play in the EPL. (ie he isn't a role model). It's insane.

No he's not, nobody knows who the hell the average Joe £500k pa city trader is, only the odd one who earns a £5m+ salary. I bet no state-school kid under 16 could name 3 famous share traders.

How many kids from any school, whether it's state or private, could name 3 average joe footballers lurking in division 2 in the English leagues?  Literally none.  Ched Evans is not a role model.  To put it in context i would guarantee that pretty much no one on this forum could name the centre forward of Carlisle and we are all sports fans far more than your average primary school kid.

Footballers at this level are total nobodies who can walk down the street in the town/city they play in and no body has a clue who they are.  They are just normal people doing a normal job for not far off normal wages.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 12:41:12 PM by arbboy » Logged
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #468 on: January 09, 2015, 12:39:37 PM »

Excellent articles by Henry Winter and Paul Hayward.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/oldham-athletic/11334487/Ched-Evans-mob-rule-card-is-a-cheap-trick-by-an-unrepentant-rapist.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/oldham-athletic/11333205/Ched-Evans-affair-shamed-football-myopic-PFA-mute-FA-and-idiotic-clubs-all-disgraced-themselves.html

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: January 09, 2015, 01:05:20 PM »

He apologised yesterday Keith, does this change your opinion of what has happened or of him?

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: January 09, 2015, 01:07:06 PM »

It's unfortunate if what was in Evans statement was straightforwardly true - because it doesn't half sound like something written by a lawyer and PR person

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #471 on: January 09, 2015, 01:25:40 PM »

this is worth reading

http://footylaw.co.uk/2015/01/06/ched-evans-sifting-facts-from-fiction/

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: January 09, 2015, 01:41:41 PM »

It's unfortunate if what was in Evans statement was straightforwardly true - because it doesn't half sound like something written by a lawyer and PR person

I would bet 1/20 it was written by someone like a PR man or a lawyer. Who would you expect to right a press release/statement tho Jon?

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: January 09, 2015, 01:43:57 PM »

I saw that and thought at last.  He later went on about mob rule.  Felt a bit "one step forward..." to me.  Think that statement could have gone a long way, but he couldn't just leave it there, and ofc Gordon Taylor isn't helping him either.  He needs to just shut up, no announcements of impending deals, no Hillsbrough references. Etc.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: January 09, 2015, 01:55:00 PM »

I would bet 1/20 it was written by someone like a PR man or a lawyer. Who would you expect to right a press release/statement tho Jon?

The question would be why he didn't get them to write it sooner.

It would be a pretty poor lawyer (or PR for that matter) who just said, say and do no nothing no matter what.

EDIT: to clarify I mean, it comes across like they've told him to release it rather than it having anything to do with him at all

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: January 09, 2015, 03:56:44 PM »

Has Steve Bruce lost his mind?  Why on earth would he throw that hand grenade in there?
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: January 09, 2015, 04:42:26 PM »

It's incredible that he states he has read all the evidence, then goes on to say he has done his time.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
bobby1

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: January 09, 2015, 05:33:45 PM »

The question would be why he didn't get them to write it sooner.

It would be a pretty poor lawyer (or PR for that matter) who just said, say and do no nothing no matter what.

EDIT: to clarify I mean, it comes across like they've told him to release it rather than it having anything to do with him at all

Yes that might be the case but surely he is very limited in what he can and cannot say with an appeal taking place. He isn't going to apologise after being in prison for something he thinks he didn't do so wouldn't apologise directly to the girl involved. So he has a situation where he has made an apology about something he can't talk about, involving someone he shouldn't mention and cannot tell his version of events. If you couldn't do all of those things then it's tough to make any statement and when you do it is always going to be pre written.

It is possible that he doesn't believe that rape took place but it could still be classed as rape in law but there is also a chance that sex with someone that doesn't remember it the day after took place. The lack of DNA at the scene, no traces of the drugs in the girls system were found in the hotel room or taken by the men. The girl told police she had no memory after leaving her mates but then said she remembered the exact drinks she drank during the night, then said her drink might have been spiked.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 05:44:36 PM by bobby1 » Logged

The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: January 09, 2015, 05:34:54 PM »

“The arguments against Ched Evans playing again are so vacuous as to be beyond parody” Rod Liddle:

http://www.spectator.co.uk/columnists/rod-liddle/9410182/the-utterly-ludicrous-and-petty-campaign-against-ched-evans/

This bit really incensed me.

"One of the ironies is that the people who have signed these various petitions are more usually lenient on the issue of criminal justice — unless it is a crime to which they particularly object. Burglary, armed robbery, manslaughter, drug dealing etc. — they’re OK. Crimes against women and any racist stuff — nope, no rehabilitation, you’re scum and that’s that."

Because of course sex crimes are different to all the others he mentions. That's why sex offenders have to sign a register after they are released. That's why they aren't allowed to work in certain professions.

Perhaps we shouldn't be surprised a man who has a caution for domestic violence on his partner has no idea why a sex crime is different to all those others.

Using Twitter as a guide is pretty random, because people only talk about stuff which interests them.

But I would guess roughly the split over whether Evans should be allowed to play now is roughly 50:50 amongst men. Maybe even a small majority support his aim.

But amongst women I would say it is more like 10:1 against him returning to football.

No matter how much empathy we have or how hard we try, I think it is virtually impossible to know exactly how women feel about rape.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: January 09, 2015, 05:46:45 PM »

A £500k a year city trader is as much a role model to thousands of A level Economics students as Evans is a role model in the UK to thousands of kids who want to play in the EPL. (ie he isn't a role model). It's insane.

No he's not, nobody knows who the hell the average Joe £500k pa city trader is, only the odd one who earns a £5m+ salary. I bet no state-school kid under 16 could name 3 famous share traders.

How many kids from any school, whether it's state or private, could name 3 average joe footballers lurking in division 2 in the English leagues?  Literally none.  Ched Evans is not a role model.  To put it in context i would guarantee that pretty much no one on this forum could name the centre forward of Carlisle and we are all sports fans far more than your average primary school kid.

Footballers at this level are total nobodies who can walk down the street in the town/city they play in and no body has a clue who they are.  They are just normal people doing a normal job for not far off normal wages.

But he is a role model

If Ched Evans or another striker at any level is your childs role model i might suggest the parent should be a bit worried.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 ... 45 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: