blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 05:20:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272633 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16721 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  "Victor Moses a cheat"- Gary Monk
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Victor Moses a cheat"- Gary Monk  (Read 4216 times)
baldock92

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2014, 02:37:55 AM »

If you didn't see on Sunday during the match between Stoke and Swansea the home side were given a dodgy looking penalty after Victor Moses seemed to go down a bit easily. As a Stoke fan I've obviously got a bit of a biased opinion on the situation. Garry Monk, the Swansea manager, came out and labelled Moses a cheat, and it all seems to have escalated rapidly.
Also the penalty awarded against Shawcross was ridiculous, every defender holds during set pieces, if they're all going to be given as penalties each match would end up in double figures, but that's a rant for another day.

What are your thoughts on the referees decision, the reaction from the Garry Monk and should he be fined by the FA for his reaction?

Feed em rice.
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 03:43:51 AM »

If you didn't see on Sunday during the match between Stoke and Swansea the home side were given a dodgy looking penalty after Victor Moses seemed to go down a bit easily. As a Stoke fan I've obviously got a bit of a biased opinion on the situation. Garry Monk, the Swansea manager, came out and labelled Moses a cheat, and it all seems to have escalated rapidly.
Also the penalty awarded against Shawcross was ridiculous, every defender holds during set pieces, if they're all going to be given as penalties each match would end up in double figures, but that's a rant for another day.

What are your thoughts on the referees decision, the reaction from the Garry Monk and should he be fined by the FA for his reaction?

Every match would not end 10-9 because defenders would stop cheating by holding at set pieces if more penalties were rightly given in these situations.

Moses definitely cheated. Swansea definitely deserved their penalty.

No controvesy as far as I'm concerned.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 07:00:58 AM »

Every match would not end 10-9 because defenders would stop cheating by holding at set pieces if more penalties were rightly given in these situations.

100% this.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
superwomble

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 08:35:38 AM »

100% this.

+1. Really winds me up when people justify cheating because everyone does it.

AFC Wimbledon Poker Club - https://www.facebook.com/afcwpokerclub/
horseplayer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 08:52:02 AM »

100% this.

+1. Really winds me up when people justify cheating because everyone does it.

+1
baldock92

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 12:07:55 PM »

The fact is, with regard to the Shawcross penalty incident, referees don't give penalties for incidents like it, so why penalise every 1 in 100 for it occurring?

Just last night there were countless incidents exactly the same, e.g. Lescott in this picture.

And you only need to watch this 6 second clip to realise how ridiculously inconsistent the ruling is:

https://vine.co/v/ObAiTBiWzL2

As for Moses I don't think going down soft is right, but how many times do you see players go down like he did after minimal contact, but within the next day it's forgotten about. I just think this incident has been blown way out of proportion.

Feed em rice.
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 12:12:27 PM »

Baldock is right.  Whether or not the penalty against Shawcross was technically correct, what managers, players and supporters want is consistency. 
superwomble

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 12:15:47 PM »

The problem is that people complain about the penalty that was given. What people should be complaining about is the loads that should be given but aren't.

AFC Wimbledon Poker Club - https://www.facebook.com/afcwpokerclub/
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 12:18:04 PM »

The fact is, with regard to the Shawcross penalty incident, referees don't give penalties for incidents like it, so why penalise every 1 in 100 for it occurring?

Just last night there were countless incidents exactly the same, e.g. Lescott in this picture.

And you only need to watch this 6 second clip to realise how ridiculously inconsistent the ruling is:

As for Moses I don't think going down soft is right, but how many times do you see players go down like he did after minimal contact, but within the next day it's forgotten about. I just think this incident has been blown way out of proportion.

That's clearly a penalty (if the ball is in play).

If it isn't in play Lescott should be booked.

One weekend of loads of penalties would stop defenders doing it - but if you had to start with anyone, Stoke and Ryan Shawcross is a decent place to go from.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 12:18:46 PM »

But in that picture what is Lescott supposed to do if the forward has run into his space apart from put his arms up?  Step out of the way?  Nut him?
baldock92

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 12:19:44 PM »

The problem is that people complain about the penalty that was given. What people should be complaining about is the loads that should be given but aren't.

But people do complain, just not on the same scale for the manager to go out and call the holding defender a cheat though. It seems to be one of those fans get so frustrated about as these incidents really could change a game, but referees seem to turn a blind eye to it.

Feed em rice.
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 12:20:47 PM »

Exactly, the whole situation is a joke.

The Shawcross situation was a clear penalty.

I had to laugh at the Stoke chairman on Five Live yesterday moaning about Monk.

He was basically saying that Moses had contact with a Swansea player so he was very upset with the comments.

There seems to be an acceptance that if there is an physical contact in the box its OK for players to go down, no matter how slight it is.

Until the authorities decide to give large fines and ban players for a few games for diving, we will be faced with this constant cheating in football.
baldock92

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 12:22:39 PM »

That's clearly a penalty (if the ball is in play).

If it isn't in play Lescott should be booked.

One weekend of loads of penalties would stop defenders doing it - but if you had to start with anyone, Stoke and Ryan Shawcross is a decent place to go from.

Surely a statement from the head of referees saying clamping down on holding in the area will start from now, rather than go and victimise 1 player/ club when the other 19 in the league have probably commited the same offence that weekend. Surely it needs to be consistent across all clubs, not starting with one club and going from there

Feed em rice.
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 12:24:15 PM »

Yep - consistency is key
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 01:13:50 PM »

If the game wasn't all about who can cheat the best, I might actually start watching football.

The older I get, the better I was.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: