blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:46:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272539 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Best way of marketing poker?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best way of marketing poker?  (Read 6999 times)
dreenie

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2014, 03:59:49 PM »

I would imagine showing a final table EPT nowadays isn't very productive at all to signing up people who have never played poker.  The poker cage, imo, although being cheesy, is much more likely to appeal to the casual types who have never played poker before online to encourage them to sign up.  Players like VCM winning EPT's is priceless though.  Stars must truely be gutted they didn't send a film crew to cover that EPT.  Like Alex says though all the planning for TV is done in advance and they can't plan once the attractiveness of the winner is done.

How does anyone know that it is planned in advance ?
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2014, 04:09:33 PM »

I would imagine showing a final table EPT nowadays isn't very productive at all to signing up people who have never played poker.  The poker cage, imo, although being cheesy, is much more likely to appeal to the casual types who have never played poker before online to encourage them to sign up.  Players like VCM winning EPT's is priceless though.  Stars must truely be gutted they didn't send a film crew to cover that EPT.  Like Alex says though all the planning for TV is done in advance and they can't plan once the attractiveness of the winner is done.

How does anyone know that it is planned in advance ?

It has to be planned in advance to get the TV crew/equipment/staff there and the tv feature table.  They are not going to just randomly send all that out on day 3 because some 'suitable' faces like VCM have gone deep.
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2014, 04:14:55 PM »

I think it was a shame that they dropped the UKIPT from their televised tournaments.  It showed the 'grass-roots' players getting involved in decent prize money - an accessible EPT really.  However, the cost for televising these events isn't insignificant and I guess they want a direct return on this investment (in terms of new customer signups and deposits, etc.).

I certainly think there's a greater ROI on many things they do (or could do) compared to sponsoring pros who no one outside the game has any clue who they are. 

I was discussing this with someone else an hour or so ago, saying the UKIPT's with a final table of drunk irishmen and characters like Sam Razavi were the way forward

Last week's IPO Dublin would have been perfect - with Andy Black wrecked at 4pm.
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2014, 04:26:44 PM »

For example the Deauville stop is never filmed for the interesting reason that the TV set is still being shipped from the Caribbean from the PCA so doesn't make it back to Europe in time!

@Drennie, I can't really give my thoughts on the shark cage as I haven't seen it. I know any show with Sam Grafton in is bound to promote poker in a great way and I can't wait to see it. Also I think Pokerstars get just about everything spot on, marketing and TV included. I think the EPT shows are first class.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2014, 04:45:13 PM »

I think one of the best ways to market the game would be to have tables for recreational players, there are too many pools with sharks in the water. 

I think that's what puts new players off, also think it might help to have decent commentators on the tv shows who can explain the dynamics of the game and maybe even do some tv shows with complete noobs. 

Sky Poker seem to have it  just about right and although I don't play on the site if I were to play any online poker these days that would probably be my home for online poker.  But the traffic in the games I prefer to pay doesnt look too great. 
scotty77

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2014, 05:53:50 PM »

Yeah Stars were gutted that VCM wasn't a TV event but is just logistics.  The background stuff that goes into the EPT shows are huge and this was just bad luck.
MelissaChloe

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2014, 07:15:50 PM »

I'd love to be on shark cage, it looks so fun!

Anything with Phil Laak in is good TV

Twitter: MelissaChloe_xo
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2014, 07:32:40 PM »

People are happy to play with 'pros'. Just not happy when there are constant delays due to multitabling imo
Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2014, 09:33:39 PM »

People are happy to play with 'pros'. Just not happy when there are constant delays due to multitabling imo

Think people are happy to play the "names" rather than pro grinders.  I probably 3 table at best and hate when the game is slowed down by some guy playing 12 tables or some such. 
Sulphur man

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2014, 01:36:00 AM »

Late Night Poker was such a good format back in the day. Created so many heroes really did.

I've never played any game, or done anything that was so powerful at making you believe that you 'owned' it... before making you realize that you actually don't.
baldock92

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2014, 02:27:58 AM »

I'd love to be on shark cage, it looks so fun!

Anything with Phil Laak in is good TV

Definitely agree with the Phil Laak part! Such an entertaining character, I wish there were more players like him around- there's nothing worse than being sat at a sullen, quiet table.

Feed em rice.
tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2014, 07:38:25 AM »

The way old matey boy called off 2 streets for a gutshot and missed was awesome on his first hand ,I thought yup there's a poker stars player online he'd have got there
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2014, 09:16:45 AM »

What is the shark cage??

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
teamonkey

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2014, 09:39:07 AM »

link???

if link is allowed of course
AlunB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2014, 09:48:31 AM »

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/pokerstarscom/4od

It's snappily called Series 5 Episode 28
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »