blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:48:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272619 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Best way of marketing poker?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best way of marketing poker?  (Read 7018 times)
tonytats

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2014, 11:04:58 AM »

What is the shark cage??

On this ridic show ,if you're going to bluff you press a button under the table ,if the other player doesn't call
 in this tank they go for 5 mins or one orbit
It was all pretty pathetic tbh
JamesHartigan

Gets paid to talk about the pokerz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2014, 08:04:46 PM »

Hi,

There are two separate issues being discussed in this thread, and I would like to address both. As someone who's worked on the EPT since 2006, and was heavily involved in the development and production of Shark Cage, I can provide an insider's perspective. But please don't consider the following to be the official "PokerStars line."

1) Victoria Coren Mitchell's win in Sanremo

Alex and Ryan are correct: we plan our TV coverage well in advance of the events taking place. It was never going to be possible to televise Sanremo. At the point the final table was being played, the TV set was being rigged in Monte Carlo for the EPT Grand Final.

It was incredibly unfortunate that the crowning of the European Poker Tour's first ever two-time champion occurred at a non-televised event. It was frustrating and annoying for the TV production team, as we've been building the "two time curse" storyline for several years. It's disappointing, for the programme-makers and TV viewers alike, not to be able to resolve this narrative thread.

One silver lining: the tournament was streamed live, and the replay of the final table has been archived online, so fans can still watch Vicky's amazing achievement, complete with my inane shouting over the last hand.

2) Shark Cage

I'm not surprised the first episode has been met with a certain degree of disdain from hardcore poker fans. Shark Cage is designed for a more casual/mainstream audience; it's clearly not a pure poker show.

The first thing to say is that we're not moving away from making pure poker shows! We think it's very important to provide entertaining and engaging content for the poker community. In 2014, PokerStars has invested a great deal of money into live streaming every single leg of the European Poker Tour. In addition, we’ve produced 38 hours of TV coverage from the EPT and PCA. In the first half of 2015, viewers on Channel 4 can look forward to highlights from the EPT 10 Grand Final, EPT 11 Barcelona, EPT 11 London and the 2015 PCA.

Now, in addition to appealing to existing players, it's also our objective to attract NEW players to the game. Shark Cage is obviously built for a non poker-savvy audience: people who don’t necessarily play online, and certainly don't post on 2p2. We know, from research and experience, that a winner-takes-all STT (which starts and concludes in the same episode) is the easiest type of game for a beginner to follow. We also know that these viewers appreciate seeing sports stars and celebrities at the table, and are also likely to appreciate a format that’s closer to a game show than a poker tournament. Anyone remember The Million Dollar Challenge? It’s not as revered as High Stakes Poker (understatement of the year), but it was a huge success.

We think it’s important to experiment and try new things. Our ambition with Shark Cage was to create something different; something less serious than the EPT/PCA. The end result is more of an entertainment show than a poker show, with a strong focus on the personalities and table banter. Personally, I think it’s a great advertisement for the game, because it shows people having fun playing poker, while competing for life-changing prize money. Everyone who took part in the first series thoroughly enjoyed the experience, expressing their appreciation for the shot clock and cage concept (conceived by Ike Haxton).

In an ideal world, I'd like to see Shark Cage broadcast in a different slot to the EPT, either earlier in the evening, or on another day of the week. It would be great to run the series alongside the EPT episodes, so that our core audience doesn’t feel deprived of their weekly poker fix. I really hope we can change this going forward.

Couple of specific things... In the first two heats, the players had buttons under the table (one for ‘Bluff' and one for 'Value Bet'). For the remaining six heats, the buttons were replaced by Bluff/Value cards. These worked much better. Also, we chose to simplify the graphics for this series, removing table positions and stack sizes to avoid bombarding viewers with too much information. Moving forward, this is something we can review.

In summary, I appreciate Shark Cage isn’t to everyone’s taste, but I’m pleased that many poker fans have enjoyed the first episode, describing it as “fun” and refreshing.” We value all feedback, positive and negative. I just hope that the show’s biggest detractors understand its purpose and possibly give it another chance.

James.
Rexas

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2014, 09:41:45 PM »

Very nice post there James, I for one (having watched the first episode of "The Shark Cage" today) thought it was a fantastic innovation. Loads of fun, all the players seemed to enjoy it and it made for entertaining viewing. Hard core poker fans already have loads of shows about that they can watch, lets let everyone have some fun for once?

humour is very much encouraged, however theres humour and theres not.
I disrepectfully agree with Matt Smiley
verndog158

omgpoker

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2014, 09:46:45 PM »

Very nice post there James, I for one (having watched the first episode of "The Shark Cage" today) thought it was a fantastic innovation. Loads of fun, all the players seemed to enjoy it and it made for entertaining viewing. Hard core poker fans already have loads of shows about that they can watch, lets let everyone have some fun for once?

Totally agree with Matt. Great for getting new people into poker. A onine Qualifireee! who is in for nothing, as mentioned a couple of times, world famous actor and a couple of poker personalities advertises poker as a really fun social game that anyone can do. I enjoyed it, although i do have a crush on Phil Laak. Looking forward to next week. People not think that if a qualifier actually won it, there could be another mini poker boom?

ignore verndog he's a fool

'he had a deep run in EPT Barnsley'
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2014, 10:02:59 PM »

shark cage is/was a good idea, but they probably put up the weakest line up first, boring pros who dont offer much.

i think it will get better as the legs advance and perhaps there was no other option but to have this one first.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2014, 10:18:25 PM »

Did the pros buy in or just given a 1m free roll?

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2014, 10:21:24 PM »

freeroll i think, guys who made it through to the final were selling at some deece mus!!

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2014, 10:48:07 PM »

freeroll i think, guys who made it through to the final were selling at some deece mus!!

wasn't it all supposed to be anonymous? do ppl know who won already? i was wondering how they could stay quiet. Say Grafton won a million and had to keep quiet for months, don't think he could manage it lol.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2014, 11:58:33 PM »

yeh im not going to say but its semi common knowledge i guess

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2014, 12:41:54 AM »

Must be sad to be big tits tilly and lark etc to know you cant make it at the top level of the game anymore but you will get invited to the 'mug' shows for a freeroll for $1m if you act and play like a mug to appeal to the masses 'mugs'.  Toasty life.  Like being a boxer who takes a dive for money when he fights the real pros.  Why would Phil laak attract ' total new casuals' to play poker?  Why would they know who he was any more than they would know who Pleno/arbboy/redarmi and dubai are sitting playing a random stt for $1m?  Why do they choose laak if the game is designed to attract total newbies to the game?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 12:49:57 AM by arbboy » Logged
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2014, 12:44:26 AM »

yeh felt like laak was overdoing it and just not funny tbh

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2014, 12:47:15 AM »

i have heard some pretty unsavoury shit about laak from his early days in NYC from dealers in vegas who played with him/dealt the illegal games from way back in the day.  He sounds a like a total ***** who just plays up to the cameras for his own gains now the game is massive.  He makes Blatch sound like a good payer compared to the stories i have heard.
dreenie

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2014, 03:51:28 AM »

Hi,

There are two separate issues being discussed in this thread, and I would like to address both. As someone who's worked on the EPT since 2006, and was heavily involved in the development and production of Shark Cage, I can provide an insider's perspective. But please don't consider the following to be the official "PokerStars line."

1) Victoria Coren Mitchell's win in Sanremo

Alex and Ryan are correct: we plan our TV coverage well in advance of the events taking place. It was never going to be possible to televise Sanremo. At the point the final table was being played, the TV set was being rigged in Monte Carlo for the EPT Grand Final.

It was incredibly unfortunate that the crowning of the European Poker Tour's first ever two-time champion occurred at a non-televised event. It was frustrating and annoying for the TV production team, as we've been building the "two time curse" storyline for several years. It's disappointing, for the programme-makers and TV viewers alike, not to be able to resolve this narrative thread.

One silver lining: the tournament was streamed live, and the replay of the final table has been archived online, so fans can still watch Vicky's amazing achievement, complete with my inane shouting over the last hand.

2) Shark Cage

I'm not surprised the first episode has been met with a certain degree of disdain from hardcore poker fans. Shark Cage is designed for a more casual/mainstream audience; it's clearly not a pure poker show.

The first thing to say is that we're not moving away from making pure poker shows! We think it's very important to provide entertaining and engaging content for the poker community. In 2014, PokerStars has invested a great deal of money into live streaming every single leg of the European Poker Tour. In addition, we’ve produced 38 hours of TV coverage from the EPT and PCA. In the first half of 2015, viewers on Channel 4 can look forward to highlights from the EPT 10 Grand Final, EPT 11 Barcelona, EPT 11 London and the 2015 PCA.

Now, in addition to appealing to existing players, it's also our objective to attract NEW players to the game. Shark Cage is obviously built for a non poker-savvy audience: people who don’t necessarily play online, and certainly don't post on 2p2. We know, from research and experience, that a winner-takes-all STT (which starts and concludes in the same episode) is the easiest type of game for a beginner to follow. We also know that these viewers appreciate seeing sports stars and celebrities at the table, and are also likely to appreciate a format that’s closer to a game show than a poker tournament. Anyone remember The Million Dollar Challenge? It’s not as revered as High Stakes Poker (understatement of the year), but it was a huge success.

We think it’s important to experiment and try new things. Our ambition with Shark Cage was to create something different; something less serious than the EPT/PCA. The end result is more of an entertainment show than a poker show, with a strong focus on the personalities and table banter. Personally, I think it’s a great advertisement for the game, because it shows people having fun playing poker, while competing for life-changing prize money. Everyone who took part in the first series thoroughly enjoyed the experience, expressing their appreciation for the shot clock and cage concept (conceived by Ike Haxton).

In an ideal world, I'd like to see Shark Cage broadcast in a different slot to the EPT, either earlier in the evening, or on another day of the week. It would be great to run the series alongside the EPT episodes, so that our core audience doesn’t feel deprived of their weekly poker fix. I really hope we can change this going forward.

Couple of specific things... In the first two heats, the players had buttons under the table (one for ‘Bluff' and one for 'Value Bet'). For the remaining six heats, the buttons were replaced by Bluff/Value cards. These worked much better. Also, we chose to simplify the graphics for this series, removing table positions and stack sizes to avoid bombarding viewers with too much information. Moving forward, this is something we can review.

In summary, I appreciate Shark Cage isn’t to everyone’s taste, but I’m pleased that many poker fans have enjoyed the first episode, describing it as “fun” and refreshing.” We value all feedback, positive and negative. I just hope that the show’s biggest detractors understand its purpose and possibly give it another chance.

James.

I appreciate you taking the time out to write an explanation in more detail as to what the aim was by airing this show.

I echo the others sentiments in terms of bringing in some pros with better personalities, I mean a couple of them hardly said a word on there (some guy in party poker logo) which doesn't show me that poker can be 'fun' if I was looking at it from a 'newbie 's' perspective.

I'm sure like pleno has said there will be bigger and better characters to promote the TV show as the series progresses.

I would agree that you should air it at a reasonable time I:E a 9:30pm slot for example. If you haven't played before then I doubt you are cruising the TV channels at midnight whilst working a 9-5 job...

Late night poker was the show that I started to watch that gave me an interest into what poker was all about and also there was another show which was a bit more light hearted but forgot the name of it.

The main thing I felt was wrong with this was that it looked far too staged and just made uncomfortable and boring viewing. Whenever I watch poker I try to look from a different angle. I remember Vicky getting a lot of stick for her commentary for example, however I think you need that sort of personality to come across when presenting and she explains it better than most when speaking to a wide audience at different levels imo.

You and Joe are good for that too, you more than Joe imo as he can often come across quite rude but I guess that's just his personality.

Personally I would love the UKIPT coverage to come back to our TV screens, I understand it may not be cost effective and actually have no idea of how much the total costs to film such events cost so obviously can't comment on that side, but I think the stories that come out of these tours are very good for poker and can promote it to a lot of the grass root players and also to people that are interested in getting into poker.

Defiantly think you should focus more on who qualifies in to these events from next to nothing rather than just all the regular players that play the tour, as the blogging and coverage is imo a great way of marketing the brand and getting new players signed up.

Getting women enticed into the game of poker is all about choosing the right people again, I don't think Jennifer T or Vanessa Rousso do a great deal in promoting it other than what there body parts have to offer so I would be more inclined to go with women players such as Vanessa, Vicky, Fatimo De melo all of which I think are very good players, but also have good personalities and I would imagine very fun to be around at the tables....

All of this is just my opinion ofc.
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2014, 04:28:51 AM »

What was with Alexander's qq "bluff" too?!

cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2014, 12:57:55 PM »

What was with Alexander's qq "bluff" too?!

Weirdest thing I've seen since Imalucksack AJo 4bf!

Seriously tho, wtf at that hand.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: