blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:03:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  No longer an Iphone owner?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: No longer an Iphone owner?  (Read 5146 times)
blueace

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2014, 01:05:19 PM »

Cheers for all the responses so far, yes my 5 is old/coming up to end of contract hence me considering now. However I have looked at battery size in the new non Iphones. The Iphone6 is half the size of some of its competitors (other factors considered).
DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2014, 01:57:37 PM »

The contract on my iphone 5 ends soon so I've been looking at the 6, the galaxy and the LG G3 and I've come to the conclusion that its pretty much a dead heat.

The iphone has a smaller battery in terms of mAh but its much more efficient and from the reviews I've read the battery life issue is all but gone with the 6. It does come last of the three in battery life but my less than 10% in the tests that I've seen and with the smaller battery size it charges much faster.

I haven't really had the same kind of battery trouble with my 5 as you have though. Have you gone through the stuff they recommend for saving battery life (turning off backgroup app refresh, wifi when you're not using it, brightness down a bit)? They do make a really big difference.

After all that I decided that I'm sick of reading phone reviews and I'm just gunna keep my 5 on a cheap rolling monthly sim-only contract until a phone comes out that looks more appealing

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2014, 02:34:48 PM »

The other benefit of the Samsung phones is that they have removable batteries.

Always a benefit if you're out and about. Of course you can also get an external battery pack that can charge your phone whilst you're at poker.

And you can add memory.

Yeah, I forgot about that.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2014, 02:52:44 PM »

My 5 contract ends in a week too, very useful post Dan. I was the thinking about the doing the same and keeping the 5.

But think I'm gonna go for the 6. Can sell the 5 for £200ish these days?

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2014, 06:20:52 PM »

£150-200, probably towards the lower end unless its mint condition with box and unlocked

blueace

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2014, 02:17:28 PM »

The contract on my iphone 5 ends soon so I've been looking at the 6, the galaxy and the LG G3 and I've come to the conclusion that its pretty much a dead heat.
Agreed its become more of a level playing field hence me being prepared to look at other options.

The iphone has a smaller battery in terms of mAh but its much more efficient and from the reviews I've read the battery life issue is all but gone with the 6. It does come last of the three in battery life but my less than 10% in the tests that I've seen and with the smaller battery size it charges much faster.
Also agree there are other factors.

I haven't really had the same kind of battery trouble with my 5 as you have though. Have you gone through the stuff they recommend for saving battery life (turning off backgroup app refresh, wifi when you're not using it, brightness down a bit)? They do make a really big difference.
I do adjust brightness and turn off apps when not being used, perhaps my useage has just been too relentless for any phone?

After all that I decided that I'm sick of reading phone reviews and I'm just gunna keep my 5 on a cheap rolling monthly sim-only contract until a phone comes out that looks more appealing
Im beginning to feel like this, gone are the days when a new phone coming out meant the (relative) excitement of  new fangled technological upgrades, etc, now an upgrade means little, so waiting is probably the best option.
smurf

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2014, 09:32:34 PM »

also an iphone user but might change next time round...they do seem to play up a lot more than they used to and one of my daughters has just moved away from hers to a different phone (not sure which) so if the kids are changing then maybe their loyal customers are falling away.

Don't want to sound condescending but why not get an ipod for your music...their batteries go on forever
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2014, 09:36:06 PM »

also an iphone user but might change next time round...they do seem to play up a lot more than they used to and one of my daughters has just moved away from hers to a different phone (not sure which) so if the kids are changing then maybe their loyal customers are falling away.

Don't want to sound condescending but why not get an ipod for your music...their batteries go on forever

every smartphone has as good or better music technology than an ipod - wouldn't it be better to get a phone where the battery works and not bother with two devices instead of one?

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2014, 10:33:34 PM »

every smartphone has as good or better music technology than an ipod - wouldn't it be better to get a phone where the battery works and not bother with two devices instead of one?

I'm not sure about that.  I sometimes use my phone for music - particularly for Spotify.  But I do like having dedicated devices as well.  I have a Sony MP3 player that has a battery that lasts forever, and is far smaller than my phone, so good to use when I run and also not much extra to carry if I'm playing poker, etc.  I could read books on a tablet or my phone, but I much prefer my Kindle. It has a battery that lasts longer than forever, a screen that's better for reading than a phone/tablet screen, and it's just for reading - I'm not tempted to browse the web, etc., when I'm reading - which I would be if I was reading on my phone.

Also, if my phone batteries happen to be running low, I don't need to worry about not being able to read my books or listen to music, etc.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2014, 10:37:37 PM »

I agree a phone can't really be used in place of a kindle, but apart from specific circumstances like your running, I don't see that many places where you won't have your phone on you anyway - hence why it seems a bit superfluous to me to have a separate music player.

EDIT: Then again I also think a watch is a bit unnecessary now, and people still seem to like them Smiley

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2014, 10:51:59 PM »

I agree a phone can't really be used in place of a kindle, but apart from specific circumstances like your running, I don't see that many places where you won't have your phone on you anyway - hence why it seems a bit superfluous to me to have a separate music player.

EDIT: Then again I also think a watch is a bit unnecessary now, and people still seem to like them Smiley

...and when your phone is running low on battery and you're trying to keep it alive for that call you have to make/receive later?

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2014, 06:39:26 AM »

...and when your phone is running low on battery and you're trying to keep it alive for that call you have to make/receive later?

It doesn't happen - I've had a few phones and spent most of the time listening to music on them/surfing the internet; there are power saving methods in play - but doesn't change that the only time I've even come close to running out of battery power has been when I've used specific high-draining software (like particular games for example). If something important is required - obviously I just don't use those beforehand.

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2014, 08:48:55 AM »

Actually that was a bit off-topic - if your phone or usage does put you in that position then obviously a separate music player is a good idea

2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2014, 03:21:22 PM »

Also toying with shifting to the Samsung Note 4 after being a many time iPhone user. I like the fact it has a feature where you can shut down all the extra features to being just a pure phone and a 10% charge will last a day.

Is doubletwist pretty straightforward to use (an app for getting itunes libraries on android)? Does it work for video too?

Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2014, 07:45:53 PM »

I seen a guy on one of the Glasgow buy & sell sites on facebook selling a number of Nokia 3310's and 3330's brought mack memories of a phone battery lasting for days. 

I have the and i hate it for battery life, although I do think there is an issue with my battery as the mrs has the same phone and hers seems o last for hours longer, I should really get in contact with apple but I am just oo lazy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: