blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:04:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Virgin VS43 in trouble?
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Virgin VS43 in trouble?  (Read 4761 times)
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2014, 07:51:11 AM »

Might as well have carried on to the planned destination and let the passengers be where they want to be, seeing as they were going to fly around for hours and, presumably, were only in danger when landing.

Hmm think I'd rather be in hospital in the care of the NHS rather than at the mercy of the travel insurers claims dept.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2014, 08:43:27 AM »

Might as well have carried on to the planned destination and let the passengers be where they want to be, seeing as they were going to fly around for hours and, presumably, were only in danger when landing.

I'm assuming the gear never fully retracted or obviously they would never have known. Can't get to Vegas with a wheel down.

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
Royal Flush

Booooccccceeeeeee

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2014, 08:46:35 AM »

Yeah in the cockpit of any aircraft with retractable gear you have 3 lights, if they are off the gear is stowed and locked, red they are in transit, green they are down and locked.

As you can see in that pic the right wing strut isn't extending hence when it is on the ground it is not level. Luckily the fuselage strut came down so could support it, obviously if both had failed on one side you have a rather awkward problem.

How 'easy' would a landing have been if both had failed, or say all of the landing gear was stuck and wouldn't come down?  Obviously, it wouldn't have been a standard landing, but they can land these things even under exceptional circumstances - can't they?

It's just a question of how much damage is going to be done. You could land it on it's belly but it's hard to say what will happen as the engines are going to want to come off and you are going to crush the hold, the great danger to life would be fire.

[19:44:40] Oracle: WE'RE ALL GOING ON A SPANISH HOLIDAY! TRIGGS STABLES SHIT!
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2014, 08:53:21 AM »

I'm assuming the gear never fully retracted or obviously they would never have known. Can't get to Vegas with a wheel down.

Guy on the radio answered the same question last night.  As Flushy says, the drag factor of the landing gear would mean the plane sucked up huge amounts of fuel compared to normal, so it'd never make it to Vegas in that circumstance.

Fascinating stuff, and looks like the pilots did a great job with the landing.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2014, 10:22:27 AM »

Some passenger footage:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30628003

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2014, 10:35:25 AM »

The moment of truth when VS43 first touched down.

Click to see full-size image.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2014, 10:51:52 AM »

Hmm think I'd rather be in hospital in the care of the NHS rather than at the mercy of the travel insurers claims dept.

Unless you are landing at Cardiff airport.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2014, 10:54:34 AM »

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
hhyftrftdr

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2014, 02:51:44 AM »

Yeah in the cockpit of any aircraft with retractable gear you have 3 lights, if they are off the gear is stowed and locked, red they are in transit, green they are down and locked.

As you can see in that pic the right wing strut isn't extending hence when it is on the ground it is not level. Luckily the fuselage strut came down so could support it, obviously if both had failed on one side you have a rather awkward problem.

How 'easy' would a landing have been if both had failed, or say all of the landing gear was stuck and wouldn't come down?  Obviously, it wouldn't have been a standard landing, but they can land these things even under exceptional circumstances - can't they?

A plane landed on its 'belly' a few years ago in Warsaw. IIRC it's landing gears were jammed, it circled for a while to try and resolve the issue (and probably dump fuel) but no joy, and they had to touch down without wheels. Think the plane had come from New York as well, so the pilots did remarkably well after a long flight and under extreme pressure conditions.

Best Bitter.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: