blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:26:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  9HighLikeABoss
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 [22] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 9HighLikeABoss  (Read 104345 times)
shipitgood

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: December 21, 2016, 05:51:39 PM »

Last week I started doing the Couch to 5k programme. It's good to get started a bit earlier than waiting for 2017!

My number 1 NY goal is healthier eating with plenty of exercise Smiley

2016 was a bit of a funny one in regard to poker. I've seen a lot of players leave the game, cash games on Sky have greatly declined unfortunately. In 2017 if playing cash games, it will be on two other sites.

I don't know if the cash game eco system is great on any site today.

My main focus for 2017 is going to be MTTs, playing on Sky and 2 or 3 other sites. I still love playing tourneys, where as sometimes this year cash could be a bit tedious, a grind. I can also see live poker becoming more prevalent in 2017.

Merry Christmas to one and all and have a fantastic 2017!

« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 05:53:21 PM by shipitgood » Logged
shipitgood

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 06, 2017, 12:46:24 AM »

Happy New Year All.

It was quite an exciting day today: it was my first proper MTT session of 2017 across 4 sites. I ended up playing about 16 MTTs.

I wasn't to sure about what direction I was going to take in 2017 in regard to MTTs. I was kind of conflicted.

To me with poker, I love strategy and want to be the best possible player I can be. So in a way, despite the fact i'm not a big fan of staking, I was seriously considering looking into some sort of arrangement mainly just to improve significantly (coaching) so I could crush £55+ games.

I had a really good chat with a successful MTT player yesterday (tyvm!)  and it became  clear that staking would be really bad for me and am far better just doing my thing, and I could always just get some coaching later in the year if required.

It was a nice start to the year today, I won 1 MTT and came 2nd in another, as well as cashing in a few others.

To do with poker goals this year, I want to put in decent volume @ tournies, increase ABI and maybe challenge Matt Bates for 1st place in profit this year  Cool

...But that will be v hard the guys a boss with one of the strongest work ethics I've ever seen.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 12:49:08 AM by shipitgood » Logged
shipitgood

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 24, 2017, 10:52:32 PM »

Las Vegas

I'm playing about with the idea of going to Vegas at some point during the WSOP for at least a couple of weeks.

As a poker player, I guess it is the spiritual home of Poker, right? Having read Vegas threads on here over the last couple of years during the WSOP it has given the bug to visit Vegas for the first time.

Direct flights based on todays prices are £600-£700. Hotels seem to be coming in at about £100 a night.

Just wondering, for those who have been/ go regularly what's the best options for booking accommodation, like best location or even individual hotel names.

It would be cool to play some tournaments, but given that most of them are $1000+ to buy in, I would maybe just play a couple and for the most part just enjoy a bit of live cash.

Any thoughts/ ideas on Vegas would greatly appreciated!

verndog158

omgpoker

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 24, 2017, 11:08:44 PM »

Las Vegas

I'm playing about with the idea of going to Vegas at some point during the WSOP for at least a couple of weeks.

As a poker player, I guess it is the spiritual home of Poker, right? Having read Vegas threads on here over the last couple of years during the WSOP it has given the bug to visit Vegas for the first time.

Direct flights based on todays prices are £600-£700. Hotels seem to be coming in at about £100 a night.

Just wondering, for those who have been/ go regularly what's the best options for booking accommodation, like best location or even individual hotel names.

It would be cool to play some tournaments, but given that most of them are $1000+ to buy in, I would maybe just play a couple and for the most part just enjoy a bit of live cash.

seriously recommend looking at hotels and flights as a package deal. I went last summer and it was cheaper to book 10 days in a hotel with flights than it was just for flights. Think we did 10 nights in the Monte carlo and flights return for £850 or something similar.

and dont even think about it, book it. its an amazing place

ignore verndog he's a fool

'he had a deep run in EPT Barnsley'
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 24, 2017, 11:27:00 PM »

Las Vegas

Vegas info thread is where you need to go.

Lots of lower buy in comps throughout the WSOP. The $235 daily deepstack at the Rio is basically a 1,000 person comp every day with the standard of a £40 Friday night comp at the local Grosvenor.

Search on the vegas thread and lots of stuff there. Anything you don't find, ask and lots of people will give you answers.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: January 24, 2017, 11:27:52 PM »

Las Vegas

Maybe play a couple of WSOPs, but there are loads of tournaments with decent enough structures.  The Wynn and Aria ones are probably the best.  Wynn daily is about $200, Aria $150.   Would say average player is prob worse at the Wynn, but plenty of jokers in each.  Rio daily deepstack is also good, but you have to navigate a bigger field and having started with a huge stack, they get a bit crapshooty a long way out.  Phamous series is good enough, but feels more crapshooty early.  Loads of tournaments there too around the $200 level.

Post on the vegas thread for hotel suggestions.  Should be able to get something decent enough for $100 a night.

Make sure you avoid edc weekend, hotel prices are doubled.  

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 24, 2017, 11:49:46 PM »

Go and play cash.  Don't pay 20/30% rake to play donkfests if you are a decent player. 
bagel
bagel

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 25, 2017, 12:43:14 AM »

Go and play cash.  Don't pay 20/30% rake to play donkfests if you are a decent player. 

could not disagree more

if going for first time as a poker player, a week o of donkfests with 20 or 30% rake and huge fields of pissed up punters sounds infinitely more appealing than sitting on a cash table and struggling to pinch a few buy ins from a bunch of miserable headphone wearing tossers.

if that does not work out there are plenty other ways to enjoy spending your dough...
muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 25, 2017, 04:06:40 AM »

could not disagree more

if going for first time as a poker player, a week o of donkfests with 20 or 30% rake and huge fields of pissed up punters sounds infinitely more appealing than sitting on a cash table and struggling to pinch a few buy ins from a bunch of miserable headphone wearing tossers.

if that does not work out there are plenty other ways to enjoy spending your dough...

Go to the cheaper joints on the strip and you'll find amazingly fun lower stakes cash games which would also be hard to lose in long term. Headphone wearing tossers...can't help but feel you'd find a lot more of them at a tournament table these days.
verndog158

omgpoker

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 25, 2017, 11:42:17 AM »

Yeah I disgree with Arrboy too, I mean the cash games are brilliant, and great fun, so definitely play them too. But if its your first time in vegas then you have got to play the wsop events, just to get a buzz and feel for it. I did both, and although cash was more profitable, the WSOP bracelet events were by far the most enjoyable.

ignore verndog he's a fool

'he had a deep run in EPT Barnsley'
bergeroo

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: January 25, 2017, 12:32:36 PM »

could not disagree more

Mostly my experience is that cash games are not like this at all. Basically free alcohol for everyone helps. If you have a table of headphone wearing tossers you can easily change table (or just force them to do shots with you) - There are loads of 1/2 and 1/3 running all over town.

I'm sure you'll have a great time whatever you decide though!
shipitgood

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: June 28, 2017, 09:56:09 AM »

I was playing in this most incredible 1/2 cash game tonight in Vegas. There was a drunk guy sat down, nearly every pot was 200bb, he was punting pretty hard with very little equity hands. One of the hands I played against him, he made it $5 pre, 2 other calls and we defend 910 os in the Bb. Flop q102 rb, it checks to him he bets about 12/13, we call. I think just callings best. Turn is a brick 3, he picks up a bunch of red 5 chips and throws them in the middle. It was $80. It was a really tough decision. I had a bit of banter with him, he said he had a q and then I snap  folded and he showed his q. Before he sat down I had~ 600. At his time on the table I dribbled down to < $500. I was trying to play as many hands with him as possible, as was everyone else. Pretty much everyone at the table had stacked him apart from me. He was in for about 1.8k.

Then he announces all in pre from early position for $200 total everyone folds. I'm in the bb look at the first card Ace and am thinking I probably call ace j +. It's only another ace! I flick over my aces, and for the first time he does not show pre. After the  river card is dealt he shows jacks and aces hold, that was the last hand he played.

I've never seen anything like it before in my time playing poker.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #327 on: June 28, 2017, 12:35:20 PM »

I was playing in this most incredible 1/2 cash game tonight in Vegas. There was a drunk guy sat down, nearly every pot was 200bb, he was punting pretty hard with very little equity hands. One of the hands I played against him, he made it $5 pre, 2 other calls and we defend 910 os in the Bb. Flop q102 rb, it checks to him he bets about 12/13, we call. I think just callings best. Turn is a brick 3, he picks up a bunch of red 5 chips and throws them in the middle. It was $80. It was a really tough decision. I had a bit of banter with him, he said he had a q and then I snap  folded and he showed his q. Before he sat down I had~ 600. At his time on the table I dribbled down to < $500. I was trying to play as many hands with him as possible, as was everyone else. Pretty much everyone at the table had stacked him apart from me. He was in for about 1.8k.

Then he announces all in pre from early position for $200 total everyone folds. I'm in the bb look at the first card Ace and am thinking I probably call ace j +. It's only another ace! I flick over my aces, and for the first time he does not show pre. After the  river card is dealt he shows jacks and aces hold, that was the last hand he played.

I've never seen anything like it before in my time playing poker.

At DTD once during a 1/2 game we played against a bloke who went all in pre no look every hand for about half an hour. It made for a really difficult dynamic. Obv it would have been easy heads up but all the other players were playing mind games with each other, opening pots when they new that we knew that they new that they would be facing an all in...

The older I get, the better I was.
UAC
Probation

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 02, 2017, 05:00:26 AM »

Really good blog, feel like I keep finding good reads, getting to the end and realising nothing has been posted for months! :/

Was refreshing to see you have held off on the staking arrangements and going it out on your own. Any updates on how you're getting on?
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 [22] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: