blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:58:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Paris horror attack
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Paris horror attack  (Read 52014 times)
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: January 13, 2015, 10:25:19 PM »

George Burns played god in a movie and nobody said a word.

Was it a silent movie?

I lol'ed

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: January 13, 2015, 10:28:56 PM »

Was it a silent movie?

That actually made me lol. Which is rare for one of your posts.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 13, 2015, 10:47:38 PM »

Was it a silent movie?

Looks like US CentCom wasn't the only account recently hacked.

Ah! The element of surprise
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: January 13, 2015, 11:22:02 PM »

Was it a silent movie?

Looks like US CentCom wasn't the only account recently hacked.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
mulhuzz

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 14, 2015, 12:33:16 AM »

I, for one, found many of the Charlie Hebdo cartoons absolutely hilarious. I also thought they often made some really important points.

I also really like the Cover of the next one 'tout est pardonné' ('all is forgiven'). I think it's a brilliant response to an attrocious event.

This pretty sums it up for me: http://www.vox.com/2015/1/12/7518349/charlie-hebdo-racist

If you don't 'see the joke' (because, for example, you don't know much about french culture and politics which is sometimes necessary) you might think that Charlie is viciously racist, islamophobic, sexist and all sorts of other 'phobics'.

With a little understanding of the context, the truth is they are clearly lampooning such beliefs.

The question is now, do we want to stop them making jokes because some people a) don't understand them and find them offensive, or b) don't care to understand them and find them offensive because doing so falls in line with a particular agenda. I think the clear answer to that is no.

I think those who say 'ah, it's not funny* and it's obviously designed to insult a certain class or group of people and the consequences should have been foreseeable because of the 2011 firebombing or the Danish Cartoons fiasco or similar' should reflect on whether or not they are almost being apologists for extremism. If you say that the consequence was foreseeable, then you say that it was understandable. If it's understandable, it's rational. If it's rational, it's acceptable.

*(and you might well say that, even understanding the joke, just like I understand Michael MacIntyres comedy, but don't find him funny)
teddybloat

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 14, 2015, 12:39:08 AM »

For me Charlie Hebdo knew exactly what it was doing.  They crossed a line, just because we have free speech doesn't mean we have the right to offend.  

I like Satire, but deliberately offending people isn't on.  

Oh but we do have the right to offend. Offense is in the taking, and some people have lower offence-thresholds than others. Without the right to offend you cant ever say much of substance -someone, somewhere could be offended

I would make the polar argument: you dont have the right to never be offended. If someone says summat upsets you, or you find unpalettable, challenge them, sure. But deal with it. Its part of being an adult in civilised free societies. people wont always think like you do or hold dear the things you find important. You dont have the right to never be offended by others.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 12:40:57 AM by teddybloat » Logged
The Baron

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 14, 2015, 01:27:08 AM »

For me Charlie Hebdo knew exactly what it was doing.  They crossed a line, just because we have free speech doesn't mean we have the right to offend.  

Oh but we do have the right to offend. Offense is in the taking, and some people have lower offence-thresholds than others. Without the right to offend you cant ever say much of substance -someone, somewhere could be offended

I would make the polar argument: you dont have the right to never be offended. If someone says summat upsets you, or you find unpalettable, challenge them, sure. But deal with it. Its part of being an adult in civilised free societies. people wont always think like you do or hold dear the things you find important. You dont have the right to never be offended by others.

Great post this.
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 14, 2015, 01:28:22 AM »

kmac trolling 99% of the forum sure, here - unacceptable.

hate being around here when he's doing this to every thread, makes blonde a way worse place.

edit: reminds me of Ken from celeb bb. Cant we show him the door to the right?

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: January 14, 2015, 07:33:13 AM »

For me Charlie Hebdo knew exactly what it was doing.  They crossed a line, just because we have free speech doesn't mean we have the right to offend. 

Great post this.

Agreed.

Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 14, 2015, 02:51:14 PM »

kmac trolling 99% of the forum sure, here - unacceptable.

hate being around here when he's doing this to every thread, makes blonde a way worse place.

edit: reminds me of Ken from celeb bb. Cant we show him the door to the right?

Diddums!

Get out more son there is more to the world than the internet. 
Kmac84

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 14, 2015, 05:11:36 PM »

Dr Norman Finkelstein contrasts two images and asks relevant questions in the wake of the Charlie Hebdo massacre... Does defending the right to 'free speech' also include defending the rights of racists and bigots? ‪#‎JeSuisUnMouton‬

http://normanfinkelstein.com/…/01/12/sorry-charlie%E2%80%8B/
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: January 14, 2015, 05:27:15 PM »

It's offensive.  But that doesn't prevent anyone from publishing it. The fact he could publish that article (can't read it as the link's buggered) is an example of someone being given freedom of speech - and the freedom to offend.  Was he trying to be ironic?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 05:30:03 PM by kinboshi » Logged

celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 14, 2015, 05:47:59 PM »

Can someone explain why it's deemed ok to offend someone on the basis of their religion, but not on their race?

Surely we can then say we have the right to be racist, 'cos we got freedom of speech Innit'

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 14, 2015, 06:25:49 PM »

Can someone explain why it's deemed ok to offend someone on the basis of their religion, but not on their race?

Surely we can then say we have the right to be racist, 'cos we got freedom of speech Innit'

Race is a fact, religion is a fantasy
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 14, 2015, 06:33:49 PM »

Race is a fact, religion is a fantasy

I disagree. Religion is fact whether you believe or not, it exists.

Ah! The element of surprise
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 ... 26 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: