blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:36:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272574 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Poker Hand Analysis
| | |-+  Should I be checking behind on river?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Should I be checking behind on river?  (Read 4594 times)
pokerplayingfarmer

View Profile
« on: January 11, 2015, 09:14:51 PM »

Just a hand that's bugging me from recent 25/25 at leeds.

End of first level, 50/100 it's been quite a bit of loose aggro play but stacks are somehow all still pretty much around starting of 25k. I've decided to take the approach of seeing as many cheap flops as possible as every raise pre so far has had little or no respect and can't see the point of inflating pots against a table of looser than loose unknowns just yet, hate this but I refuse to nit up and polarise my range as I know I'd get put in so many tough spots.

Anyway, we have  A5ss in HJ with 2 limpers so I limp along and see a flop 5 ways

Js9d4s.

Bb opens 300
New late reg lady raises to 700 (this is her 1st hand, I recognise her, she's very competent)
I call
Bb folds.

Turn .

New lady bets 1200
I raise 2800
Calls

River J.

Lady checks, I bet 3100, lady calls with J9.

I knew this was the nut worst river for me.  In my eyes my hand was fairly transparent, I had her on some sort of J combo,
J-9TQK which I beat 50% of, but all the best ones still call, or a smaller flush, I know she's a decent player and really didn't think she would be risking missing value by checking a boat, hence why I bet.  Hate it when I value town the worst hand!!  Opinions please.

I've never got it.....ever
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 11:11:14 PM »

Might be inclined to make it more on the turn to charge sets and two pair hands (given her raise on the flop these seem likely - although she may be raising Q10 or worse flush draws?)

Not sure why she flat calls the river. J9 is effectively second nuts.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 11:37:44 PM »

4k on the turn - v rarely getting a fold here.

Have to bet river, sizing is fine, could go a touch bigger but nit much.

Ul. Wp pre and flop btw.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
PathFinder

@AWI_POKER

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 02:30:55 PM »

Think I prefer flatting the turn than raising as our hand is pretty transparent given flop action and I would want to try and keep my range as wide as possible when I have the nuts. Then you can probably ninja call the 3rd barrel instead of being the river aggressor. But it's whatever you just got unlucky. Love the lady's river check though Smiley
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 02:40:33 PM »

Think I prefer flatting the turn than raising as our hand is pretty transparent given flop action and I would want to try and keep my range as wide as possible when I have the nuts. Then you can probably ninja call the 3rd barrel instead of being the river aggressor. But it's whatever you just got unlucky. Love the lady's river check though Smiley

Seems unnecessary in a live £200er.

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
PathFinder

@AWI_POKER

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 05:42:36 PM »

Your unnecessary
Oxford_HRV

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 11:59:43 PM »

I knew this was the nut worst river for me.

Should probs check back

To win at poker is to not have to play
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 05:28:51 AM »

Her flop size, turn bet, and river call all seem pretty awful instead of competent.

Hate your turn size, much bigger is fine, doubt your going to get folds in a live bird and I'd presume she is rarely folding a hand that she has bet the turn with. Her river check is fine unless she can assume you will a) always fold to a check/raise and b) will call a much bigger river bet than you will actually bet yourself. On the turn we should be developing an idea of her range, and presuming this is full house heavy rather than flush heavy, as she likely doesn't raise the flop with a flush draw, we can either bet a similar size amount to what you bet or checkback. I'm fairly certain that I bet, just because its a rec heavy live comp and she should only really be continuing with flushes + ott, rather than betting other hands which have just gone behind on the debatably worst turn in the deck.

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
pokerplayingfarmer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 06:27:37 PM »

Thanks for the input, I think if I do raise the turn more I'm more likely to check the river as I'd be more worried about a check shove, when my river bet would probs touching 1/3 of my remaining stack.

I've never got it.....ever
Lawro74

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 09:24:11 PM »

flat the turn and bet small on the river...I don't think she's ever checking the river with a boat as she could be losing any value...IMO
gouty

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 07:15:48 AM »

Your opponents flop re-raise is just weird. She must be a right punter. Limped pots are nearly impossible anyway and I don't think you did a lot wrong here.

QTss or some combo is what it looks like. Never putting a live player on top 2 or a set here are we?
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 10:45:55 AM »

i wouldnt be worried about a river check - raise, if you are check raised you defo have the worst hand so could fold fairly happily, surprised she doesnt raise here tbh when your hand looks incredibly like a flush.

I concur to bigger turn sizing ,I think you might get some hero folds off her OTR (speshly to big bets) but she will call virtually 100% on the turn so go bigger here and smaller OTR best way for max value.

I wouldn't have been too worried about the river tbh

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: