blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:55:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  The time of your poker life
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The time of your poker life  (Read 3870 times)
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2015, 07:41:19 PM »

I won the first proper live tournament I played in 2006 (I know, how come I haven't mentioned it before?). Been downhill ever since.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2015, 12:51:03 PM »

Short version...

In 2012 I managed to final table two Grand Prix at Dusk and won one trip to St Kitts. I played really well out there and went out in a classic AA<QQ AIPF situation. If I hold there I would have been in the top three stacks.

Longer version.... Feel free not to bother.

Started in a disappointing fashion,
 I played the January Deepstack at DTD and with not long of Day1 remaining found myself on a table with a Blonde of renowned refinement. We tangled a couple of times and then I managed to get it all in pre with tens v sevens.
The four hearts on the board matched one of his sevens...

I didn't fare so well in The February Deepstack busting in Day 1 when the only player on the table who didn't believe I had a very strong hand was the only one I wanted to believe it. But I did manage a trip saving 5th in the Super £50.

In March it was my first shot at a UKIPT, a generous round of satellites aimed at achieving that Million Guarantee saw me there and I made Day 2 with a need to double up. I managed that, and more, and had the satisfaction of eliminating Liv Boeree before suffering a nasty one just shy of the money. My flopped two pair counterfeited by running threes to go with the Jacks of my opponent.

And then...

April - running like God for two and a bit days took me to 2/2325 in the Grand Prix and won me a trip to St Kitts.

June - playing with immense skill and superb tactical judgement took me to 5/1872 in the following Grand Prix. That one, disappointingly, didn't generate a second St Kitts ticket. It did however, get me into the £500 Deepstack in August.

August - 52/910 with my crusade to get max value for the buy in ending when I ran KK into Aces in a spot where I should never get credit for having a hand.

All this took me to St Kitts in high spirits and that week was one of the highlights of my poker life.

I cashed in two of the three tournaments I played and only went out of the main event two off the money when I ran Aces into JP Kelly's Queens. All in pre flop. Queen on the turn. I was not happy. But I bumped into Nicola as I walked out of the card room and shared my woes and she responded perfectly. Effectively telling me to remember "You're in St Kitts". If only every bad beat story could have that response.

All other things aside I believe that the poker I played in St Kitts and in that main event in particular was the best I have ever played. I got lucky sometimes, and I managed to avoid the tricky seat positions other than a session with Devilfish to my immediate left which worked out ok for me.

I don't play a lot currently and haven't been to DTD for nearly a year, I still wonder what might have come of my tournament and my poker future had those Aces held though.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
Junior Senior

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2015, 07:35:09 PM »

The tourneys and cash games in gala notts back in the day, even after 2 bottles of rose wine! And no those days are gone forever....

Pretty much sums it up for me. Glory glory days.
action man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2015, 08:07:25 PM »

me and kev getting 1st and 2nd in dtd monte carlo 2013, we were room sharing and both under it, to share a moment like that with a close mate was out of this world, we danced around the carpark after. Then myself, kev and jamie roberts all ponied up to treat the lads
to a day at newmarket races for the 1,000 guinees in this party bus. Having been on the receiving end of many free box offs in vegas, namely, middy, jake, moor and pez.
Skgv

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2015, 01:45:05 AM »

me and kev getting 1st and 2nd in dtd monte carlo 2013, we were room sharing and both under it, to share a moment like that with a close mate was out of this world, we danced around the carpark after. Then myself, kev and jamie roberts all ponied up to treat the lads
to a day at newmarket races for the 1,000 guinees in this party bus. Having been on the receiving end of many free box offs in vegas, namely, middy, jake, moor and pez.
This is why u a Legend m8 !
TL900

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2015, 03:50:06 AM »

That event, festival, cash session etc where you felt you had the biggest edge, that it translated into results and you knew you would win at whatever level/buy in you were playing?

Heads up in poker 770 DTD event

@MtSpewmore
Quote from: jgcblack
I wouldn't normally try so hard, but didn't have another opportunity I could wait for. I wasn't ready to surrender what I WANTED SO MUCH, that easily, I couldn't guarantee a call with me staying stoic and relying on a flinch "top pair" calling reflex.
leethefish

winners never quit quitters never win

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2015, 08:07:31 AM »

The same tourney as trig..... 2013 Monte Carlo at Dtd

I was pretty skint at the time and I had a rough year to that point with my dad going thru major surgery and a close friend dying.

I can remember I sold and swapped 50% of my action after winning an online  satellite in for £50-60

The min cash was I think 2k and to be honest I was over the moon at that and then I laddered like crazy :-)

My mates came over from Leicester to rail when we got down to two tables which was just amazing.

To manage to get 6th and £18k was just awesome for a part time player like me.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 08:09:06 AM by leethefish » Logged

http://www.ljwcarpenter.co.uk       

http://alzheimers.org.uk/

www.ageuk.org.uk/

If you can meet with triumph and disaster And treat those two impostors just the same......yours is the Earth and everything that's in it...And - which is more --you'll be a Man, my son.
OverTheBorder

just one of those days

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2015, 08:46:58 AM »

That picture is incredible! So much going on! Is that Shallow on the mic? Looks like he is mid concert
action man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2015, 08:46:03 AM »

the very same
claypole

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2015, 09:05:45 AM »

A lot of my "time of my poker life" moments involved staking; hardly surprising for lucky fish - and my old man funnily enough who passed away in 2012. A couple  of amazing memories - I'll share one here and needless to say in a weird way Dubai is some sort if fairy god mother.

Dad had never taken much interest in poker, however after his cancer diagnosis he became a bit more interested and on a night in late 2010 I think he sat and watched me play an online session, was a lovely time - He was genuinely interested and we ended up one tabling the Big 162 - from memory thinkI came 5th.  At the start of the session we were probably at the giddy heights of 10 tables, by the end a solitude single table - at which point the old man gets a bit bored and asks me "what I do" when it's this dull ha ha.

I tell him the usual, open oddschecker, read the sports news and sometimes read forums - of which blonde is my favourite. We pull the site up and there is the thread - "WCOOP Hi Roller Staking" - so we have read and I have to explain to dad what's it's all about. I've never met Shallow, never staked anyone in my life - and although I know this geezwr is "pretty solid" by reputation really do y have a clue who he is. The old mans reading and says "go on have a go son, you've just won $5k"

Anyway, the rest is history. My $600 became $30,000, had some great memories of that night - and after this stranger obviously sent me the cash with minimal fuss we got chatting more on line and got on ok - him being through a similar thing.  The money was huge at the time,eetimg Dave led to a few good nights outs, us becoming mates - and me getting to know Kev who I'm
Really close to know. And it's started some wierd sort of karma thing where Dubai was some sort of ATM for a couple of years, with staking success around WPT, Triggs Bink, Hi Roller at DTD and a possed night out with random PLO spins.

Thought Id get the story in as a pre nip before they go deep today at Hippo ha ha. Good memories.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 09:08:03 AM by claypole » Logged
lucky_scrote

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2015, 11:14:19 PM »

@Keith £1000 + £30 main event, those were the days!!!!

<3 ENSUING
stato_1 said, "banoffee pie i reckon"
stato_1 said, "this is delicious"
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2015, 01:02:57 AM »

@Keith £1000 + £30 main event, those were the days!!!!

40% to the winner too.

Happy days.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
littlemissC

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2015, 05:25:15 PM »

March/April 2008

Won a £50r for £3.2k on a Tuesday at Dtd, beat Rupert Elder heads up pretty sure I was being a bit of a nob (sorry) but was so excited as it meant I was the first woman to win a comp at dusk. Love that I'll always have that Smiley

2 weeks later 3rd in Dtd £300 for £5k behind des jonas and pete Linton. Took Joe and lily to Florida for a month with those 2 weeks of poker run good Smiley

Agree with woodsy and simon too, those gala days were incred. So were the blonde bashs 2007/2008. Loads of fun memories. Don't really play anymore but glad I had those few years met some lovely people
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: