blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:59:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272608 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Are you a bit jealous?........
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Are you a bit jealous?........  (Read 7566 times)
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2015, 06:34:29 PM »

Don't you have to have a decent understanding of variance in order to be remotely shrewd as a punter?

Not really.  You do if you want to make money gambling long term but you can be a really shrewd judge who is clueless bankroll management wise/variance wise and does his nuts chasing every day but if you use his information because he finds even money shots which are 5/1 every day then you will get very rich following him blind with correct bankroll management and understanding of variance.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 06:46:16 PM by arbboy » Logged
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2015, 07:05:12 PM »

Don't you have to have a decent understanding of variance in order to be remotely shrewd as a punter?

Not really.  You do if you want to make money gambling long term but you can be a really shrewd judge who is clueless bankroll management wise/variance wise and does his nuts chasing every day but if you use his information because he finds even money shots which are 5/1 every day then you will get very rich following him blind with correct bankroll management and understanding of variance.

A wise man once said "it is better to be a good judge of judges than a good judge."

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2015, 07:07:07 PM »

A wise man once said "it is better to be a good judge of judges than a good judge."

That is the truest saying in the game!  I know several successful pro gamblers who seriously couldn't price up a coinflip.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2015, 07:18:40 PM »

That is the truest saying in the game!  I know several successful pro gamblers who seriously couldn't price up a coinflip.

Bad analogy, sir. Reminded me of this piece of TfT Gold, two years ago...

Last 5 been heads. I'm lay some 21/20 heads. Just got a feeling

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2015, 07:25:23 PM »

First time I turned up at the Aussie Millions I spotted a well known high stakes player in a mammoth cash game on my first venture into the cardroom.

"how are you doing?" I asked.

"Doing my cobblers"

"ah, sorry to hear that, still 2 weeks to get out of it"

"I want to get out of it now, what is your roll for the trip Keith?"

"About 15k English"

"That's a conincidence, it's what I'm losing in this session. I'll tell you what, I'll lay you 5/4 red or black on the next flop, but you must bet the whole lot".

I would still have had enough money to pay my hotel and exes, but would have faced 2 weeks with no poker (exclude the fact I could have borrowed).

In my spot do you gamble or turn him down?

edgascoigne

Newbury Racecourse's Best Dressed Gent. And What?

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2015, 07:40:01 PM »

First time I turned up at the Aussie Millions I spotted a well known high stakes player in a mammoth cash game on my first venture into the cardroom.

"Doing my cobblers"

"About 15k English"

"That's a conincidence, it's what I'm losing in this session. I'll tell you what, I'll lay you 5/4 red or black on the next flop, but you must bet the whole lot".

I would still have had enough money to pay my hotel and exes, but would have faced 2 weeks with no poker (exclude the fact I could have borrowed).

Turn it down, Shirley?

Positive expectation of £1,875 - ie. 12.5% of the roll. Surely less than forecast ROI on the comps you're going to play? Especially if this is a few years back!

Possibility to borrow makes this pretty much an unsolvable, but in isolation I don't think this is close at all?

Allez!!
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2015, 07:40:18 PM »

"Doing my cobblers"

"About 15k English"

No unless my total net worth is £400k+ then i might give him a spin.
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2015, 07:51:51 PM »

"Doing my cobblers"

"About 15k English"

Turn it down, Shirley?

Positive expectation of £1,875 - ie. 12.5% of the roll. Surely less than forecast ROI on the comps you're going to play? Especially if this is a few years back!

Possibility to borrow makes this pretty much an unsolvable, but in isolation I don't think this is close at all?

I was sorely tempted.

If the Sydney beaches had been in Melbourne I don't think I could have refused him!

cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2015, 08:50:10 PM »

For a breakeven decision, wouldn't you need the forecasted ROI of the comps you were going to play to be 50% higher than £1875, to account for the times you win the flip AND play the comps?

So you'd actually need a forecasted ROI of great than £2812 to forego the bet?

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2015, 08:52:35 PM »

For a breakeven decision, wouldn't you need the forecasted ROI of the comps you were going to play to be 50% higher than £1875, to account for the times you win the flip AND play the comps?

So you'd actually need a forecasted ROI of great than £2812 to forego the bet?

Yes.  Plus you could also factor in you will play more comps during the trip because your bankroll has doubled and/or sell less action in the comps you were already playing.
Junior Senior

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2015, 11:21:28 PM »

In answer to the question posed in the op.... Yes I am.

Good luck to him.
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2015, 11:21:34 PM »

At least he hasn't taken a Lamborghini and modded it so it's 2,000bhp (apparently) and then driven it into a lake:

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2015, 11:31:06 PM »

But then he is a shrewd tipster or a shrewd judge, but not a shrewd gambler Sad

the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2015, 06:01:41 PM »

Sicilian is 5'2, and drives a Porsche.

Think that make arbboy right.

which is an inch taller than you Smiley

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2015, 06:12:49 PM »

Why are these types always like 5'4'' tall?  Looks like small man snydrome to me.

Looking at the picture of him collecting the keys he is tiny compared to his missus and the car dealer guy.   He is going to burn through his loot pretty quick at this rate. £28m is hardly monster cash to be donking this type of cash on cars.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2928127/British-multi-millionaire-person-world-3million-Holy-Trinity-hypercars.html

Most cars like these are not designed for the taller person..driving them would be uncomfortable for anyone over 6'2" so prob why the majority are driven by short arses.... im pretty sure a lot of tall blokes would love to drive a motor like this but alas for once their tallness counts against them..

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: