blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:32:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272605 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  What individual dominated their sport more than any other dominated theirs?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What individual dominated their sport more than any other dominated theirs?  (Read 19280 times)
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 23, 2015, 01:48:48 AM »

Murray is a much better player than Becker ever was but Becker didn't have to beat 2 out of 3 of best players in world ever to win an event, take out nadal Federer and Djokovic and Murray would have double figures in grand slam events.
The level of game the top 8-10 players are playing at no surpasses anything before it by along way

Have you seen who is currently in the top 10 in the world? Cilic?  Berd? Ferrer? Nish? Wawrinka? Raonic? Outside the top four these are cart horses of the highest order in any discussion about the greatest ever in any era. Do me a favour.
if you put Ferrer or Wawrinka in a time warp back to the 80s or 90s with there current skills and fitness then I would think they would be clse to being a favourite every game they played

It must be April the first. I am off to bed and hope my clock corrects itself to the right date in the morning.  That has to be the most redic post in the history of blonde poker.
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 23, 2015, 01:49:30 AM »

I can't believe we are talking about a home town non major tennis event which only Murray actually seriously was training that year to peak for as one of the greatest tennis performances of all time.

1984 lawns final was one of the finest demolition jobs of all time I agree. My first ever memory of tennis

I bet you if you asked Federer if he had any regrets from his career he'd answer "Not winning the Olympics singles".

He even played the doubles at the Olympics ffs, that's how much he wanted a gold medal.

What other regret would he possibly have? Other than the roid cheat Rafa being alive at the same time as him and stopping him winning 5 frenchs on top of everything else.  Comical to think fed took the London games as seriously as the lawns earlier in the summer. It was a warm up event for him before the Us open nothing more nothing less,

Not winning a grand slam?

Not beating Rafa in Paris?

If Roger didn't care about the Olympics he wouldn't have played the doubles. You are doing Murray (and Federer) a massive disservice to suggest he was non trier in that match.

He obviously cares about representing his country. He pulled out of a ATP Grand Final final v Djoko so he'd be sure he'd be fit for the Davis Cup final the week afterwards.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
Larry David

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 23, 2015, 01:54:00 AM »

Easy to look at the top 10 and pick fault,check out the top 10 over 10 years ago.  Wawrinka has come to the party late,his very best tennis is a match for any player in the top 4,not many,if any have beaten Djokovic and Nadal back to back to win a grandslam.

Federer had it easy 7-10 years ago compared to the last 3-4 years.  

I think the best of Agassi beats the best I have seen from Murray though.

Lay Low Back High
Larry David

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 23, 2015, 01:57:58 AM »

Andy made Federer luck fairly weak in that olympic final, Rog looked cooked physically.

Lay Low Back High
moonandback

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 23, 2015, 03:34:06 AM »

Serguy Bubka in pole vault 6 world championships in a row (got unlucky and only won 1 olympic gold)

Byron Nelson, golf 1945 won 18 times including 11 in a row with a stroke average of 68.33 which stood as a record for 55 years

UCLA in college basketball from 1963 - 1975 won 10 NCAA championships in 12 years had 4 undefeated seasons in that span for comparison Kentucky have a chance to get the 1st undefeated season this year since Indiana in 1976!

its better that i have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 23, 2015, 03:56:57 AM »

I'm pretty sure if they had come from any other era all of Federer, Nadal, Novak and Murray would be undisputed and clear number 1 in the world.

I don't entirely agree Keef. I think they are so good because they have to play and compete against one another so regularly.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
exstream

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 23, 2015, 09:05:01 AM »

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1177880622234995
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: March 23, 2015, 02:00:08 PM »

Michael Jordan vs Kobe Bryant vs Lebron James?

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 23, 2015, 02:10:00 PM »

Fall asleep listening to Nadal on drugs comments,A-Plus for uncle Tony hiding this from the authorities.  He was a physical beast from the age of 16. You can't be serious with Safin? One of my favourite players but a complete nut job which stopped him from winning more major tournaments so he can't even enter the equation. Murray and Safin 2 majors each but Murrays consistency to keep reaching semis and finals can't be ignored.  He has done great winning two in this era of tennis.

It is also pointless comparing the likes of nadal/djokovic/federer/murray to the likes of becker/bjorg/edberg/lendle,the game has changed completely,serve and volley is virtually dead and defence and physical strength rule the game.

Federer won serving and volleying at the beginning of his career.

Federer won as an all court player from his mid twenties onwards.

I can't imagine Becker, Lendl, Stich, Sampras, Agassi or Connors being able to win majors playing two completely different syles of tennis.

In my lifetime only Borg and McEnroe have been able to do it.

And Federer has done it for longer and against better opponents.

He's the GOAT.

I think you need to balance this against the fact that today's courts are more similar in speed from the 80s/90s.  The days of clay courters not turning up at Wimbledon are over.

I think Agassi figuring out how to win on grass in that era was notable.  He was hopeless when he first played on grass.
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 23, 2015, 02:12:01 PM »

Murray is a much better player than Becker ever was but Becker didn't have to beat 2 out of 3 of best players in world ever to win an event, take out nadal Federer and Djokovic and Murray would have double figures in grand slam events.
The level of game the top 8-10 players are playing at no surpasses anything before it by along way

Have you seen who is currently in the top 10 in the world? Cilic?  Berd? Ferrer? Nish? Wawrinka? Raonic? Outside the top four these are cart horses of the highest order in any discussion about the greatest ever in any era. Do me a favour.
if you put Ferrer or Wawrinka in a time warp back to the 80s or 90s with there current skills and fitness then I would think they would be clse to being a favourite every game they played

It must be April the first. I am off to bed and hope my clock corrects itself to the right date in the morning.  That has to be the most redic post in the history of blonde poker.

Yes this is bizarre.

Sampras v Wawrinka on grass
Ferrer v Kuerten on clay

Ferrer/Wawa would be huge dogs in these match ups.  And there are tons more we could pull up!
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 23, 2015, 02:17:25 PM »

Yes this is bizarre.

Sampras v Wawrinka on grass
Ferrer v Kuerten on clay

Ferrer/Wawa would be huge dogs in these match ups.  And there are tons more we could pull up!

Either v Coria on clay as well.
DungBeetle

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 23, 2015, 02:22:16 PM »

Agassi on rebound Ace (or whatever it is called in Australia!)
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 23, 2015, 02:22:37 PM »

MJ is miles clear of those two.  Lebron a slight 2nd to Kobe.  Kobe too selfish and individual record/financially driven to be considered above these two.  Kobe wasn't even the best player on 3 of his title teams imo.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 23, 2015, 03:10:13 PM »

This made me laugh Cheesy

kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: March 23, 2015, 03:20:54 PM »

MJ is miles clear of those two.  Lebron a slight 2nd to Kobe.  Kobe too selfish and individual record/financially driven to be considered above these two.  Kobe wasn't even the best player on 3 of his title teams imo.

Jordan was from my teenage years, when I used to play basketball and so my judgement of him is clouded.  He was immense, a freak. I'm sure there are others who'll argue the case for Lebron though.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: