blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:55:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Hypothetical family death mid-main event
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hypothetical family death mid-main event  (Read 5437 times)
BigAdz

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2015, 09:22:55 AM »

If it was me that had died I wouldn't want the person to come back.  If I was a close family member I would tell the player not to come back.

There are plenty that turn up for a funeral and are utterly no help to the bereaved family thereafter and that's when they need support.

Pretty much this.

If I played for a living and it was for a massive score, my parents/relatives would want me to finish the job and make the difference, as would I.

If it were my parents/brother etc, I suspect I wouldn't be able to do anything but leave, anyway.

If I ever needed backers, I would only ask people close to me, that would accept the circs regardless too. On the other hand, if I asked people I didn't know, tough. Unless of course, one was called Donn something!

Good evenink. I wish I had a girlfriend.......
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2015, 09:38:50 AM »

If it was me that had died I wouldn't want the person to come back.  If I was a close family member I would tell the player not to come back.

There are plenty that turn up for a funeral and are utterly no help to the bereaved family thereafter and that's when they need support.

Pretty much this.

If I played for a living and it was for a massive score, my parents/relatives would want me to finish the job and make the difference, as would I.

If it were my parents/brother etc, I suspect I wouldn't be able to do anything but leave, anyway.

If I ever needed backers, I would only ask people close to me, that would accept the circs regardless too. On the other hand, if I asked people I didn't know, tough. Unless of course, one was called Donn something!

That is the case for the vast majority on here, I would think, we are mostly "social stakers", staking our mates. So yes, we'd accept their decision without question.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
LOJ

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2015, 09:45:04 AM »

Depends what state of mind this leaves the player with also.  Are they going to play optimal when thinking of whats going on back home.

I think the 'who' question is really important.  if it were me, and say a close family member passed, I don't think i could play. 

Totally down to player.
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2015, 09:58:27 AM »

The question is a bit wide, in truth. If it were a third cousin, it's a lot different to losing a Parent, child, or partner.

I can't imagine anyone on earth would continue to play, or be expected to by a staker, if it were a parent, child, or wife/husband.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2015, 11:14:41 AM »

If you're staking someone for a tourney, you're at the mercy of your horse suffering a bad beat and not getting any money. This is one of those bad beats.

Would be different if you were staking Stephen Ireland and he told you that another of his grandmothers had died.
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2015, 11:17:35 AM »

If you're staking someone for a tourney, you're at the mercy of your horse suffering a bad beat and not getting any money. This is one of those bad beats.

Would be different if you were staking Stephen Ireland and he told you that another of his grandmothers had died.

That Stephen Ireland thing was the weirdest story ever.

Did he ever explain himself?

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
pleno1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2015, 12:14:02 PM »

Sure I've seen this on WSOP coverage before. Guys have definitely
Left huge stacks on the bubble too.

Wonder how many people have missed their child being born.

Worst playcalling I have ever seen. Bunch of  fucking jokers . Run the bloody ball. 18 rushes all game? You have to be kidding me. Fuck off lol
Eck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2015, 12:25:25 PM »

Probably less than those that missed it being conceived.
doubleup

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2015, 12:43:50 PM »

Probably less than those that missed it being conceived.

audience goes ooooooohhhhhhhh
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2015, 12:54:58 PM »

His girlfriend had a miscarriage which kind of fits in nicely with this thread.  I am fairly sure it was a significant way through the pregnancy, so probably pretty painful for him and his girlfriend.  From what I remember his girlfriend didn't have family close by for support.  I think he didn't want to reveal what happened so made something up.  I guess he didn't think particularly straight at the time, but it is difficult to think straight at times like this.  So he did a bad thing, but you can see why he did it.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2015, 12:57:47 PM »

Player goes home and owes nothing unless their stack cashes

I'd say this.

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2015, 03:43:17 PM »

I remember a guy lost his 3 or 4 year old nephew to a drowning accident a few years ago.

Had a huge stack blinded away and he pure bubbled.

Thought they could have taken 50k off the top or something to compensate him.

The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2015, 03:44:54 PM »

His girlfriend had a miscarriage which kind of fits in nicely with this thread.  I am fairly sure it was a significant way through the pregnancy, so probably pretty painful for him and his girlfriend.  From what I remember his girlfriend didn't have family close by for support.  I think he didn't want to reveal what happened so made something up.  I guess he didn't think particularly straight at the time, but it is difficult to think straight at times like this.  So he did a bad thing, but you can see why he did it.

Understandable he withdrew, but somewhat strange he didn't tell his manager the reason.

Sure the FAI could have just said "personal reasons" to the press.

Oxford_HRV

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2015, 03:55:56 PM »

jam all hands until bust or CL then leave promptly

To win at poker is to not have to play
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2015, 03:57:47 PM »

Understandable he withdrew, but somewhat strange he didn't tell his manager the reason.

Sure the FAI could have just said "personal reasons" to the press.

I had a look back after I posted, and his girlfriend had been trying to contact him. When asked why she said his grandma had died as she thought they'd release him quicker.  She told him the truth when he spoke to her, but he went along with what she said to the manager.  It then blew up and he compounded it by then saying it was other grandma.

Both young and stupid at the time.  But I think miscarriage is one of those things people just don't talk about.  

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: