blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:30:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272539 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Hand ranges and optimal playing style for the first 4 levels in a 2 day comp?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hand ranges and optimal playing style for the first 4 levels in a 2 day comp?  (Read 2015 times)
UgotNuts

View Profile
« on: March 16, 2015, 09:44:20 PM »

I'm trying to draw up a range of hands/position's to play within the first 4 levels of say a 25/25 comp or the DTD deepstack. I tend to be a little too swingy and am trying to tighten up a bit.

I normally play a wide range aggressively and often end up on a second bullet or a huge stack early doors, and tighten up during the latter stages of day 1. I proberally need to play something like top 10% of hands early on and use the image later on.

Any thoughts?
Sulphur man

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 05:04:18 AM »

Busting or getting that huge stack is the thing though. A more conservative style
will not put you in a position to get the huge stack you speak of unless the stars
align.

Personally feel going into any game of poker with a set plan of how to play
is not the best strategy. Play each hand and the opponents on merit.

I've never played any game, or done anything that was so powerful at making you believe that you 'owned' it... before making you realize that you actually don't.
mikeymike

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 10:19:20 AM »

Fold all your hands if i limp in from an early position.

LOL

Probably see you at dtd in april
cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 10:47:28 AM »

Busting or getting that huge stack is the thing though. A more conservative style
will not put you in a position to get the huge stack you speak of unless the stars
align.

Agree with the second paragraph completely. It contradicts the first paragraph pretty heavily though!

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
UgotNuts

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 11:55:21 AM »

Fold all your hands if i limp in from an early position.

LOL

Probably see you at dtd in april

I think that is the option I will take unless I have one of two hands!
mikeymike

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 12:17:28 PM »

Whats happened to your blog
UgotNuts

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 12:39:43 PM »

Thanks for the advice.

I think I probably just need to stop opening up OFP with marginal hands until I get a better feel for the table.

Blog has been a bit slow recently, haven't had the time unfortunately to update. I will try and update it today.
Sulphur man

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 03:51:21 AM »

align.

Agree with the second paragraph completely. It contradicts the first paragraph pretty heavily though!
Going for the massive stack early is not part of my game in terms of playing a larger number of
starting hands. Was just addressing the merits of such a style in the first paragraph.

Glad you concur with the second as that is what I try to base my play on. Think it's foolish
to set out with a rigid approach to playing NLHE as there are endless variables.
To quote Bruce Lee "Be formless, shapeless - like water. Water can flow or it can crash.” 

I've never played any game, or done anything that was so powerful at making you believe that you 'owned' it... before making you realize that you actually don't.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: