blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:27:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  R.I.P David "Devilfish" Ulliott 1954-2015
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: R.I.P David "Devilfish" Ulliott 1954-2015  (Read 30477 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2015, 09:31:01 AM »

Simon Aces Trumper @Dusk_Till_Dawn_  · 

The one & only DevilFish playing to a packed audience in Hull last night:

Click to see full-size image.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2015, 05:15:05 PM »

From Bluff Europe......

News has emerged that one of UK's most popular players, Dave 'Devilfish' Ulliott, has cancer.

The veteran pro is at home with his family in Hull and according to Dusk Till Dawn chief Rob Yong, who visited him over the weekend, remains in high spirits.

Yong's colleague, Simon Trumper, posted an update via Facebook.

“I have been literally inundated with messages about my pal David Ulliott . I am still in Thailand but Rob has been to catch up with him at his home in Hull and whilst it's important to completely respect Dave's privacy I got this message and photo from Rob who said it was fine for me to share.

“So I get the Devil's house and he is having a nap, waited a few hours and decided not to wake him up and I get half way back to Notts and his wife mails me that he has woke up and said 'tell that xxxx to turn the xxxx round and get back here', so I went back to Hull and The Fish entertained me and Numpty till 5am on the piano and guitar. He's spending some quality time with his family and is really touched by all of the wishes of support from everyone.”

A host of friends, colleagues and fans have offered their good wishes to one of the game's most colourful characters.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2015, 05:52:17 PM »

I knew the dog in that picture was Numpty.

The older I get, the better I was.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2015, 11:09:56 AM »

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Poker-star-Devilfish-Dave-Ulliott-cancer-battle/story-26262452-detail/story.html

My eyes are open wide
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2015, 04:57:20 PM »

Massive respect to the Fish for showing such humility, bravery, determination and an amazing sense of humour in the face of all that.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2015, 07:32:12 PM »

The following message was posted a short time ago

David Ulliott

Unfortunately Dad, Dave 'Devilfish' Ulliott lost his battle with cancer today and died peacefully surrounded by his loved ones. Thank you for all your support, love the family xxxxxxx

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2015, 07:32:56 PM »

David "Devilfish" Ulliott who has died aged 61 from colon cancer lived life to the full.

He grew up in a small council house in a working class area of Hull where he had early introductions to gambling, a fledgling boxing career, was the wrong side of the tracks via crime as a Safecracker, two spells in jail, homelessness, setting up as a Pawnbroker and then, ultimately, discovering Poker.

In the poker world Devilfish started off in small games in hull, ventured out into cash games in Leeds and then onto the UK circuit. From there, having amassed a £100,000 bankroll (in 1997 money) reputedly over a two week period at the Vic, he went to Vegas and the World Series and experienced the extreme highs and lows of a relatively old school gambler meeting a Poker world moving out of the back rooms into respectability.

In 1997 Devilfish won the Four Queens Omaha Classic on his second trip across, and cleared a six figure profit on his trip. A year later, he entered a WSOP event $260,000 in the hole including $60,000 to a bondsman he happened to have befriended on the trip. Pressure on, he won the last event he can enter with case borrowed money, got out of it and won a bracelet.

From the first trips to Vegas, Devilfish came into many of our lives via the seminal "Late Night Poker" series which took poker in the UK into the mainstream. In 1999, Ulliott was one of 40 players to appear in the first series of the Late Night Poker television series, the first poker show to use hole cam technology. Ulliott dominated the first final from the first hand and won the £40,000 first prize.

Ulliott's win was watched by over 1.5m people (a huge figure for the channel) and his character at the table was part of the reason for the renewal of the series, which went on to run for five more series, with Ulliott appearing in them all. Ulliott also made the final table in the second series. Dave was one of the main reasons a generation of players took up poker.

In January 2003, Ulliott won the World Poker Tour first season's Jack Binion World Poker Open. Ulliott outlasted a field of 160 players, beat Phil Ivey heads up and won $589,175. Mike Sexton has referred to his win as "still the most dominating performance in WPT history."

In the UK, Ulliott became such a household name that he was name-dropped in EastEnders, and in the inaugural edition of PokerPlayer magazine, Ulliott was not only on the front cover, but also voted No. 9 on their (worldwide) Top 10 Poker Legends List.

After his successes a decade or more ago there followed in poker terms some years in the wilderness and he no longer frequented UK tournaments but in the last three years he was back with a deep run in the EPT London main event and an EPT High-Roller final table too amongst a series of strong performances. He was at DTD regularly too and I would regularly watch and listen as recreational players spoke of their awe at being on the same table as Dave.

Aside from being back on the felt, his personality was as huge as ever with the wise-cracks at the table and the guitar at the tournament parties.

It was perhaps easy to forget when in the midst of his persona what a terrific poker player he was, and what a huge role he had to play in the growth of not just UK but global poker.

He was, simply, one of a kind.

He leaves his wife, Anpaktita who he married in November 2011 and eight children.

My eyes are open wide
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2015, 07:33:27 PM »

RIP devilfish.

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
Steve Swift

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2015, 07:38:36 PM »

Rip
Omm

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2015, 07:39:15 PM »

Very sad news, thoughts are with his family and all his friends, what a great legacy he leaves behind. Will be truly missed from the poker world and can be truly called a hero for all his achievements in life.

Wherever you have gone Dave I hope you give them as much entertainment as you gave us. Sleep well Devilfish. X x x
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2015, 07:40:33 PM »

Very sad news. Very much a marmite type of character but I was firmly in the "love him" camp.

RIP fella!!

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2015, 07:41:28 PM »

Mr Dave "Devilfish" Ulliott. Sadly gone, but guaranteed never to be forgotten.

May he rest in peace.

The older I get, the better I was.
leethefish

winners never quit quitters never win

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2015, 07:47:26 PM »

Shared a birthday & a name but unfortunately not the skill
A sad loss for the poker world and of course his family RIP

http://www.ljwcarpenter.co.uk       

http://alzheimers.org.uk/

www.ageuk.org.uk/

If you can meet with triumph and disaster And treat those two impostors just the same......yours is the Earth and everything that's in it...And - which is more --you'll be a Man, my son.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2015, 07:49:25 PM »

Really glad he (and his family) got to see the enourmous public outpouring of best wishes over the last week. RIP
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2015, 07:50:22 PM »

It all happened so quickly.

RIP Dave, & condolences to your family.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: