blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:21:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  On this day........
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 59 Go Down Print
Author Topic: On this day........  (Read 203014 times)
kukushkin88

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2015, 11:03:35 PM »

2013: thousands take to streets to celebrate the death of a human.

Whats going on here then?

People who probably suffered at the hands of Thatcher´s government celebrating her death.
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2015, 11:14:05 PM »

1985: Nothing interesting. Oh, wait, I was born.
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2015, 11:40:08 PM »

1985: Nothing interesting to post, was born.

FYP

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2015, 11:39:33 AM »

Rmarkable to think that Pater Hain, now very much an establishment figure, but back then something of a radical, was charged with bank robbery.

He was acquitted, & it was suggested he had been set up by the South African Secret Service, as he had been a vehement opponent of apartheid.

He has led a quite remarkable life, one way & another.

Click to see full-size image.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 12:01:49 PM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2015, 11:41:45 AM »

Saddam was toppled.

Off you go, Son.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 12:05:43 PM by tikay » Logged

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2015, 11:43:40 AM »

We love a Royal wedding.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2015, 11:46:21 AM »

Saddam was toppled.

crikey. 12 years ago?

remember watching it live one late afternoon, iirc.

momentous day it seemed, and yet it didn't solve a great deal

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2015, 11:54:07 AM »

Perhsps the most memorable & momentous strike in my lifetime, as Arthur Scargill & Co took on Mrs Thatcher.

The strike was to last over a year.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2015, 12:01:16 PM »

This man had to go to Couirt to earn the right to wear a turban whilst driving a bus.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2015, 12:24:00 PM »

time for some history

At Appomattox, Virginia, Confederate General Robert E. Lee surrenders his 28,000 troops to Union General Ulysses S. Grant, effectively ending the American Civil War. Forced to abandon the Confederate capital of Richmond, blocked from joining the surviving Confederate force in North Carolina, and harassed constantly by Union cavalry, Lee had no other option.

In retreating from the Union army’s Appomattox Campaign, the Army of Northern Virginia had stumbled through the Virginia countryside stripped of food and supplies. At one point, Union cavalry forces under General Philip Sheridan had actually outrun Lee’s army, blocking their retreat and taking 6,000 prisoners at Sayler’s Creek. Desertions were mounting daily, and by April 8 the Confederates were surrounded with no possibility of escape. On April 9, Lee sent a message to Grant announcing his willingness to surrender. The two generals met in the parlor of the Wilmer McLean home at one o’clock in the afternoon.

Lee and Grant, both holding the highest rank in their respective armies, had known each other slightly during the Mexican War and exchanged awkward personal inquiries. Characteristically, Grant arrived in his muddy field uniform while Lee had turned out in full dress attire, complete with sash and sword. Lee asked for the terms, and Grant hurriedly wrote them out. All officers and men were to be pardoned, and they would be sent home with their private property–most important, the horses, which could be used for a late spring planting. Officers would keep their side arms, and Lee’s starving men would be given Union rations.

Shushing a band that had begun to play in celebration, General Grant told his officers, “The war is over. The Rebels are our countrymen again.”

Although scattered resistance continued for several weeks, for all practical purposes the Civil War had come to an end

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
taximan007

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2015, 10:15:47 PM »

Funeral of Martin Luther King Jr.

humbled to be included alongside such esteemed people - thank you
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2015, 10:44:22 PM »

There is another royal connection today.

On 9 April 1483, the twelve year old Edward V succeeded his father, Edward IV to the throne. His Lord Protector, the Duke of Gloucester, soon found himself in the fortunate position: a sermon preached that the late Edward IV had been betrothed to another woman before marrying, rendering his children (the young king and his brother, the Duke of York) Fitzroys - illegitimate. Now, just 86 days later, the Duke of Gloucester, Richard III was King.

He duly made sure his young predecessor was properly supervised...by locking him and his brother in the inner reaches of Tower of London, where they had been living in the summer. They disappeared shortly afterwards, their bodies discovered some two centuries later. The Princes in the Tower.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Redsgirl

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2015, 11:36:26 PM »

On 9 April 1483, the twelve year old Edward V succeeded his father, Edward IV to the throne. His Lord Protector, the Duke of Gloucester, soon found himself in the fortunate position: a sermon preached that the late Edward IV had been betrothed to another woman before marrying, rendering his children (the young king and his brother, the Duke of York) Fitzroys - illegitimate. Now, just 86 days later, the Duke of Gloucester, Richard III was King.

He duly made sure his young predecessor was properly supervised...by locking him and his brother in the inner reaches of Tower of London, where they had been living in the summer. They disappeared shortly afterwards, their bodies discovered some two centuries later. The Princes in the Tower.

I do wish her Maj would allow the two little skeletons that are believed to be the princes to be forensically examined.
I know that wouldn't help find out who did actually kill them, but it would be great if they could at least prove their identity, which is entirely possible now they have their uncles DNA.

If a man speaks in a forest and no woman is there to hear him, is he still wrong?
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2015, 07:30:57 AM »

Please tell me you just made that up?

Can't be true, can it? History is boring, that sort of stuff never happened in the old days.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2015, 08:09:35 AM »

Please tell me you just made that up?

Can't be true, can it? History is boring, that sort of stuff never happened in the old days.

If I were making it up, I'd have flicked in a couple of direwolves, some mead, a grumpy dwarf and a naked dragon-handler and made myself a few quid.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 59 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: