blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 09:32:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  On this day........
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 ... 59 Go Down Print
Author Topic: On this day........  (Read 203919 times)
Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: July 04, 2015, 02:21:39 PM »

this time in 1976 Britain was sweltering under a heat wave. The hottest day being 3rd July when the temp reached 35.9. Some pictures from the time.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/18-photos-of-the-uk-heatwave-of-1976#.uc6NyjP6a

I know exactly what I was doing on that day. I wonder if anyone else does? (Know what they were doing I mean, not what I was doing)

I remember the time well but not exactly what I was doing. Ok I'll bite, what were you doing Tom.

Andrew? 8? really?  Grin

The_nun

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: July 04, 2015, 02:27:44 PM »

Getting married?

RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #422 on: July 04, 2015, 02:32:03 PM »

Getting married?

No. That was the following year.

The older I get, the better I was.
bobAlike

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: July 04, 2015, 03:11:52 PM »

this time in 1976 Britain was sweltering under a heat wave. The hottest day being 3rd July when the temp reached 35.9. Some pictures from the time.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/18-photos-of-the-uk-heatwave-of-1976#.uc6NyjP6a

I know exactly what I was doing on that day. I wonder if anyone else does? (Know what they were doing I mean, not what I was doing)

I remember the time well but not exactly what I was doing. Ok I'll bite, what were you doing Tom.

Andrew? 8? really?  Grin

lol. Yep def 8 just not worn too well Smiley

Ah! The element of surprise
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #424 on: July 04, 2015, 03:58:38 PM »

On this day in 1976 we were stopping on Dinnington Camp, one of the new purpose-built Gypsy sites.

As council sites go it was exceptional in that it was well tolerated by the local settled community. Another plus was that most of the families on there were related, so it mirrored to some extent the way we would live in the wild.

Each plot had a good sized concrete slab to park your caravan on, a utility shed with a sink, toilet and shower, and, best of all, an electricity supply via a meter.

The day before I had been to Barnsley in my Transit lorry. On the way home I was just cresting a hill in Hoyland when I heard a funny plink plink noise coming from my engine. Before I had time to pull over a con rod snapped and pushed it's way through the side of the block leaving a hole in the side of the engine that was big enough to put my hand in. To prove this point, I did put my hand in and quickly learned that the oil in a transit engine that has just come up a big hill in Hoyland gets pretty. I also learned that Yorkshire audiences are very generous with their applause for inpromptu dance performances.

To cut a long story short, the next day my transit was parked in front of my caravan on the slab at Dinnington. At the front stood the old knackered engine that I had removed with the aid of a borrowed trolley jack. I had unbolted it from the gearbox, put the jack under the sump, lifted it about half an inch to remove the pressure from the drive shaft and locator studs etc and then I just wheeled the jack out along the concrete with the engine balanced on it. Beautiful.

Now to fit the replacement engine that I had bought yesterday from a scrap yard that we passed as my dad was towing me home. All I had to do was reverse the removal process, i.e. balance the engine on the trolley jack and push it into place. The trouble was, the replacement engine was on the back of the lorry and I had no way of getting it off.

I stood at the side of the lorry trying to come up with a solution, and I clasped the engine to my chest, then I sort of leaned back a little and found that I had actually manged to lift it clear of the lorry floor, which is pretty amazing because I've just looked up the weight of a 2ltr V4 Transit engine and it comes in at 148gk dry. Mine was filled with oil and had the flywheel and clutch plate fitted. 

What I didn't realise was that I hadn't actually lifted this engine, what I had done was just support it's weight with my back and legs locked in position. As soon as I turned away from the lorry I realised that I couldn't put it down. What's more, in the few seconds that I had been holding it I had sagged a few inches and so I couldn't put it back on the lorry either. I was just stuck.

After standing there quivering and panicking for a minute or so I had to let go. The engine dropped on to the concrete and one of the cast gearbox mountings shattered instantly rendering it useless.

At that time my bankroll had stretched to buying a replacement engine but it wouldn't stretch to buying another and my dad had to bail me out. I was mortified at my own stupidity and even more mortified at having to put on my dad.

That night on the news the man said this would be remembered as the hottest day of the hottest year and I thought, 'That's not why I'll remember it'.

Kev B

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: July 05, 2015, 11:19:15 AM »

What a devastating day Tom, no wonder you remember it so well.

atdc21

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 05, 2015, 11:43:55 PM »

Hi Tom, see there is a twin wheel mark one transit in one of those photos  Smiley
I remember fitting a brand new v4 engine into our works transit, we had engine lifting hoist tho, so was easy job....

No point feeding a pig Truffles if he's happy eating shit.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #427 on: July 06, 2015, 09:30:13 AM »

Hi Tom, see there is a twin wheel mark one transit in one of those photos  Smiley
I remember fitting a brand new v4 engine into our works transit, we had engine lifting hoist tho, so was easy job....

Yes. There's a red van in one pic and a grey Luton box in another.

Can you identify any of the other vehicles in the pic with the red van?

atdc21

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 06, 2015, 09:56:25 AM »

Hmm well there is a Mini and Rover 2200. A Triumph Herald, and looks like Mk 1 Cortina. Cant decide if thats a BMW (2002 ?) or old Fiat with foreign plate

atdc21

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: July 06, 2015, 09:58:06 AM »

Maybe a D-series at the back

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: July 06, 2015, 10:15:30 AM »

Sure that is a BMW.  Two Routemasters on the way to Putney Common.  Guessing this is Parsons Green.  Travelled on that bus a few times. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Tonji
They got a name for all the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #431 on: July 06, 2015, 11:56:13 AM »

Burt Ward. Born today 1945.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burt_Ward

http://www.photonet.org.uk/

They got a name for all the winners in the world. I want a name when I lose.
RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #432 on: July 06, 2015, 06:28:02 PM »

Hmm well there is a Mini and Rover 2200. A Triumph Herald, and looks like Mk 1 Cortina. Cant decide if thats a BMW (2002 ?) or old Fiat with foreign plate

I think it's a Beemer.

RED-DOG
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #433 on: July 06, 2015, 06:29:24 PM »

Maybe a D-series at the back

The yellow one with the cherry picker? Is it a Dodge?

atdc21

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 07, 2015, 01:11:35 AM »

I think its a Commer. Spot the Watneys sign L/H side of street

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 ... 59 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: