blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:18:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  On this day........
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 ... 59 Go Down Print
Author Topic: On this day........  (Read 202963 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #615 on: September 20, 2015, 12:42:14 PM »

The nation was shocked by the killing in Staffordshire of a paper boy, Carl Bridgewater, aged 13.

He inadvertently disturbed burglars, who then shot him in the head at point blank range.

4 people were jailed for life, but, after 19 years, 3 were freed as the conviction was ruled unsafe, & the fourth died in prison. Several books were published chronicling the story, one by Paul Foot.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
booder

Lazy , Hazy days

View Profile WWW
« Reply #616 on: September 20, 2015, 01:50:02 PM »

The nation was shocked by the killing in Staffordshire of a paper boy, Carl Bridgewater, aged 13.

He inadvertently disturbed burglars, who then shot him in the head at point blank range.

4 people were jailed for life, but, after 19 years, 3 were freed as the conviction was ruled unsafe, & the fourth died in prison. Several books were published chronicling the story, one by Paul Foot.

I can remember this,the TV and Newspapers were full of it for weeks and weeks. Such a tragic loss.

Quote from: action man
im not speculating, either, but id have been pretty peeved if i missed the thread and i ended up getting clipped, kindly accepting a lift home.

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.
Martin Luther King Jr
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #617 on: September 21, 2015, 01:57:43 PM »

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: September 21, 2015, 10:09:42 PM »

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
BorntoBubble

View Profile
« Reply #619 on: September 21, 2015, 11:26:28 PM »

Sad

"ace high"

http://plascolwyn.co.uk/ - 9 Bed Self Catering Holiday let in Snowdonia, North Wales Pm for more details.

Follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/CalMorgan7
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #620 on: September 22, 2015, 12:36:38 PM »

(From yesterday...)

Two RAF Harrier "Jump Jets" collided over Wisbech, one crashed into a house, killing 3 people.

This was the report from the internationally renowned "Fenland Citizen".

http://www.fenlandcitizen.co.uk/news/latest-news/memories-of-harrier-crash-horror-1-448942

Click to see full-size image.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #621 on: September 22, 2015, 12:46:44 PM »

The BBC TV monopoly was ended, when Independent TV was launched. And for the first time ever, we had adverts on TV. Adverts. They'll never catch on.

The BBC tried to "spoil" the evening, by arranging an episode of The Archers in which poor old Grace Archer was killed in a fire. I still miss her.

One problem was that TV's had no means to change channels - why would they? - so we needed two tellys.

First advert?

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #622 on: September 22, 2015, 12:58:42 PM »

War breaks out between Iran & Iraq. This was an "old-fashioned" war, fighting in the trenches, tanks, guns & the like.

[/img]

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #623 on: September 23, 2015, 01:56:28 PM »

The world of online poker was about to change forever, & all those "High Stakes" cash games on TV  - the poker equivalent of American Wrestling, I always thought - were soon to disappear.

Things would get worse before they got better, but slowly, online poker is sorting itself out. Quite how 'Stars came out of it so well is quite a mystery, but we all got paid - eventually - so I suppose we should not complain.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: September 24, 2015, 10:35:40 AM »

Mozilla Firefox is 13 years old today.

My eyes are open wide
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #625 on: September 24, 2015, 10:46:34 AM »

Tory MP David Mellor resigned after a sex scandal. Phone calls had been hacked, misinformation had been added by the odious Max Clifford, but all in all he was not really a safe pair of hands. 

Now this is a tremendous photo, imo.

It shows Antonia de Sancha, with whom he was said to have had a lurid, toe-sucking affair.

But right behind here, loving life as he helped destroy another career, is Mr Clifford, that look on his face says it all. A nasty, vicious, vindictive man, who made much of his considerable fortune by being destructive to others. Nice mobile 'phone, too.

tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #626 on: September 24, 2015, 11:07:20 AM »

Ben Johnson won the Olympic Gold Medal in the Blue Riband 100 metres - then came the shock news - he was a drug cheat, & 2 days later, he was disqualified & banned. Those were the days when these things came as a shock to us all, & it was headlines for weeks. That moment defined that whole Olympic Games.

He was eventually allowed back into athletics, was caught cheating again, & that was that. 

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: September 24, 2015, 11:16:11 AM »

this man was born on this day

this makes him 66. Springsteen. 66. I can hardly credit it

My eyes are open wide
rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: September 24, 2015, 12:21:51 PM »

War breaks out between Iran & Iraq. This was an "old-fashioned" war, fighting in the trenches, tanks, guns & the like.

[/img]

The war cost both sides in lives and economic damage: half a million Iraqi and Iranian soldiers, with an equivalent number of civilians, are believed to have died, with many more injured; however, the war brought neither reparations nor changes in borders. The conflict has been compared to World War I[44]:171 in terms of the tactics used, including large-scale trench warfare with barbed wire stretched across trenches, manned machine-gun posts, bayonet charges, human wave attacks across a no-man's land, and extensive use of chemical weapons such as mustard gas by the Iraqi government against Iranian troops, civilians, and Iraqi Kurds. The United States, alongside regional and international powers, supported Iraq with loans, military equipment and satellite imagery during Iraqi attacks against Iranian targets.[45][46] At the time of the conflict, the U.N. Security Council issued statements that "chemical weapons had been used in the war." U.N. statements never clarified that only Iraq was using chemical weapons, and according to retrospective authors "the international community remained silent as Iraq used weapons of mass destruction against Iranian as well as Iraqi Kurds."[47][48][49] The UN Security Council did not identify Iraq as the aggressor of the war until 11 December 1991, some 12 years after Iraq invaded Iran and 16 months following Iraq's invasion of Kuwait.[50][51]

This has always bothered me a bit. We know Iraq had chemical weapons then. How come we never find any after the 2003 invasion?

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
Knottikay

View Profile
« Reply #629 on: September 24, 2015, 01:54:48 PM »

this man was born on this day

this makes him 66. Springsteen. 66. I can hardly credit it

Any idea what country he was born in?*

*please only answer if you can not sing it in your head.

Life has no rebuy options
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 ... 59 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: