blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:07:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  The Rail
| | |-+  Super System 2015
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Super System 2015  (Read 9764 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2015, 09:52:53 AM »

whoever wcg puts in his power ranking on twitter.

Who is wcg?

Unbelievable! How can you not know who Wcg is? He's like literally the best player ever ever ever.

Tell him, Pleno.

Lol, tell me too, please.

It's this guy

never heard of him

known personalities required, i think

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2015, 09:58:10 AM »

+1 to known personalities.

No joke, Gus Hansen would sell this book. The poker curious as Teeks calls em are blissfully unaware of his $20m in online losses, all they know he is that crazy guy who won a bunch of WPTs.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2015, 10:10:45 AM »

Who is wcg?

Unbelievable! How can you not know who Wcg is? He's like literally the best player ever ever ever.

Tell him, Pleno.

It's this guy

He's lost half a million dollars in the last 18 months!

You sure?

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=191988

Really isn't like he is a nobody.

And presumably Dave Shoelace put Gus Hansen's name on the cover of his book to make it sell?   Wink

Maybe he missed a trick?

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2015, 10:18:08 AM »

Who is wcg?

Tell him, Pleno.

It's this guy

You sure?

If the basis of him being the BITB is his results, I'd take his High Stakes DB results as most representative, given the sample size.

He can obviously poker, but I have a book to sell, so it's the irrefutable best or I want a name that is a good writer.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2015, 10:21:34 AM »

Who is wcg?

Tell him, Pleno.

It's this guy

You sure?

He is a nobody though, to the audience we are talking about. The audience for a modern super system is people dipping their toe into poker, just getting into it, on the fences. These guys have know idea who WGCRider is, they do know who Negreanu, Hellmuth, Hansen, Ivey, Brunson, Durrrr, Devilfish etc is, mostly from TV.

WGC is a huge somebody in the serious poker community, but we are a very small community.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2015, 10:23:54 AM »

In fact, the fact that people in this thread didn't know who he is backs up my point.
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2015, 10:27:13 AM »

How about a chapter on weeding or going South as they call it in the USA.

I can think of several who were masters of this art but one famous one.

I thought weeding and going South were two separate disciplines Ralph, the former being to remove money from the game while staying at the table, and the latter being to leave the table with the money.

I always assumed the the "going South" bit was the money going under the table and into a pocket but I could be mistaken.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 10:29:40 AM by Karabiner » Logged

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
strak33

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2015, 10:30:27 AM »

Seems we have a mix between wanting to write a good book and just trying to sell.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2015, 11:10:37 AM »

In fact, the fact that people in this thread didn't know who he is backs up my point.

What is the average age of the people who don't know who he is?  How many poker books are they likely to buy between them in the next 12 months?  What age group is going to be buying poker books?

He is the Durrr of his day.  He is the one making and accepting challenges*, and not Dwan.  I assume Gus/Durrr etc are no longer sponsored as their day is past.  I am not saying that he is better known than Gus Hansen, just that I don't think there is much in it amongst your kids just discovering poker and looking for a book.  A Google search on Hansen isn't going to be a big selling point these days.  And why would the kids know who Tom Dwan is at all?

* and finishing them?

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2015, 11:34:19 AM »

How about a chapter on weeding or going South as they call it in the USA.

I can think of several who were masters of this art but one famous one.

I thought weeding and going South were two separate disciplines Ralph, the former being to remove money from the game while staying at the table, and the latter being to leave the table with the money.

I always assumed the the "going South" bit was the money going under the table and into a pocket but I could be mistaken.

Possible, but unlikely.

The older I get, the better I was.
Oxford_HRV

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2015, 11:50:23 AM »

Put Doug in the Staking/Backing/Stable part of the book?

To win at poker is to not have to play
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2015, 12:12:07 PM »

What is the average age of the people who don't know who he is?  How many poker books are they likely to buy between them in the next 12 months?  What age group is going to be buying poker books?

He is the Durrr of his day.  He is the one making and accepting challenges*, and not Dwan.  I assume Gus/Durrr etc are no longer sponsored as their day is past.  I am not saying that he is better known than Gus Hansen, just that I don't think there is much in it amongst your kids just discovering poker and looking for a book.  A Google search on Hansen isn't going to be a big selling point these days.  And why would the kids know who Tom Dwan is at all?

* and finishing them?

The problem is that we (everybody ITT and the industry, not just you and I) have different opinions of what this 'untapped curious mainstream audience' looks like demographically. You for examples see them as young online guys about to find the game via Google etc. I view them much more broadly as mass market, all ages, finding the game via WPT reruns, Sky Poker on Sky Sports etc.

cambridgealex

#lovethegame

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2015, 12:18:23 PM »

I'll sound like I'm from Tikay's era when I say this, but according to that HSDB link, WCGRider is down like $500k in cash games in the last 18months. And he's the best in the world at cash games?

I remembers Pleno's "you should never have a losing month" cash game theory. Has he just been reeeeeeeally unlucky? Won loads on "untracked" sites? Won loads at stakes too small to be reported by HSDB?

Poker goals:
[ ] 7 figure score
[X] 8 figure score
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2015, 01:23:45 PM »

I'll sound like I'm from Tikay's era when I say this, but according to that HSDB link, WCGRider is down like $500k in cash games in the last 18months. And he's the best in the world at cash games?

I remembers Pleno's "you should never have a losing month" cash game theory. Has he just been reeeeeeeally unlucky? Won loads on "untracked" sites? Won loads at stakes too small to be reported by HSDB?

There generally isn't the same amount of volume in the high stakes games online than the rest of em. Never having a losing month might be accurate for Pleno1 when he was doing NL500 Zoom because he could get a shit load of hands in. Player pools are small in the nosebleeds and only a handful of tables run online, so its actually probably closer to live poker in the volume respect than many people realise (Still loads more hands in general though).
strak33

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2015, 01:44:12 PM »

He is representing the humans vs the machines so take that for what it is worth.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: