blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:00:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272582 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Forgotten Bands...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Forgotten Bands...  (Read 9625 times)
The Wycher

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2015, 07:03:27 PM »

The The

First saw infected video album after night out while still living at my parents. My dad and brother didn't get it and went to bed. Still my fav band.

Unfortunately no idea how to put anything up. Anyone able to help.

Thanks for that.
The Wycher

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2015, 07:05:22 PM »

I finally found my thread on Blonde! I could make 100 posts in this thread.

At The Drive-In

Saw this band play at Reading Festival. I'm guessing in 2000. I was working as a steward. It was a good gig, you got in for free, got paid a bit and got nice camping and showers. I'm manage to wangle it so I was working in the tent when they played. It was the New Bands tent, the smallest one. I remember there was a fair buzz about them. Their breakthrough and as it turns out final album Relationship of Command was either out or about to come out.

Anyhow. When they came on the whole tent went absolutely crazy, it was packed anyway and people started clambering up things, and generally going mental. After about half a song of trying to stop people climbing up things, there was so much energy,  I thought -  forget this, took of my hi vis tabard and went down the front. Amazing show.

I was fully expecting to get fired but in the chaos I guess nobody saw that I had abandoned post.

This video is one of the most shambolic TV performances I've ever seen, but to me it adds to the song and makes it even better. Amazing television

The band went on indefinite hiatus shortly after and basically split into two. Members being in other banks such as Sparta, Mars Volta and Bosnian Rainbows. But none of them have got close to this anytime since.

I was at reading for that gig it was mayhem they were piled up about 10 deep outside the tent trying to get a view. Great performance still gets mentioned amongst us who were there.
The Wycher

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2015, 07:08:20 PM »

from the NME

50 forgotten '90s bands who prove '90s indie wasn't just about Oasis and Blur

http://nmem.ag/AAdHs 

Jogs a few memories!

Actually saw the Auteurs supporting The The in Newcastle, they were excellent (although I think they fell out with The The later in the tour) the Baader Mainhoff album is good to, one song includes the line "your going home in a xxxxxx ambulance" absolute class.
Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2015, 09:48:59 PM »

The Gallows
This sounds horribly clichéd, but the first time I listened to the album Orchestra of Wolves (particularly the song In the Belly of a Shark), I was convinced they were going to be huge and define punk for this generation. Although Wikipedia tells me they're still knocking about, they never replicated that album's brilliance. I have at least learned through tonight's research that they have just released a new album.

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2015, 08:47:14 AM »

No rock music ITT

I'll start with Ugly Kid Joe.
I posted this track because it's undoubtably their biggest hit, but there was so much more to this band that this song. Some really good rock music spread across three really good albums. I was 18 when this came out and I was about 4 years into learning to play the guitar. Some of my favourite bands, the guitar work was too hard for me at the time, some too easy, but UKJ was just at the right level to be taxing, but achievable with hard work so I spent many many hours jamming along to "America's Least Wanted"

Never got to see them live back int he day, and also missed a reunion tour a couple of years ago, but in September, I finally get to see them in Nottingham.
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2015, 08:52:34 AM »

And another one.
Not exactly "forgotten" but non-metal fans might not realise to what extent these fellas are still going strong.

As I mentioned above, when I was in the early stages of learning guitar, some bands were just too scary to take on, and Maiden were definitely one of those. Quarter of a century down the road, and I actually have Iron Maiden, and particularly Adrian Smith nailed style wise. Gigging this song for the first time a couple of years ago was a very proud moment for me.

Tal

"He's always at it!"

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2015, 08:54:06 AM »

Iron Maiden? Forgotten bands?!

"You must take your opponent into a deep, dark forest, where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one"
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2015, 10:13:44 AM »

I used to listen to a great band back in the day, I just can't remember what they were called.

The older I get, the better I was.
AdamM

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2015, 11:30:49 AM »

Iron Maiden? Forgotten bands?!

No, as I say, not exactly forgotten, but I don't think they're in the non-metal public consciousness as much as they were 20 years ago.

Difficult thread to get involved with when most of the music you listen to stands the test of time Smiley
baldock92

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2015, 11:42:04 AM »

The Gallows
This sounds horribly clichéd, but the first time I listened to the album Orchestra of Wolves (particularly the song In the Belly of a Shark), I was convinced they were going to be huge and define punk for this generation. Although Wikipedia tells me they're still knocking about, they never replicated that album's brilliance. I have at least learned through tonight's research that they have just released a new album.

I had that album, it was brilliant, especially the song Abandon Ship. I had a few mates go to see them live in a small gig and was told they were insane, the lead singer had to go off with his head split open

Feed em rice.
Nakor
Tinca Tinca

Serve the spider

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2015, 02:21:52 PM »

The Gallows

I had that album, it was brilliant, especially the song Abandon Ship. I had a few mates go to see them live in a small gig and was told they were insane, the lead singer had to go off with his head split open

Relentless paid the band a Million pounds sponsorship after Orchestra for the Wolves - nice work if you can get it.

Frank Carter was/is an amazing front man, and of all the times I saw the Gallows I don't think he ever left the stage without losing some blood.  On his final tour with the band they played a gig at the Waterfront in Norwich, where he managed to climb the air conditioning pipes and complete most of the gig hanging upside down from the ceiling above the crowd - he managed this for about 10 songs.

What was surprising that after Frank left his solo stuff was much calmer, and the album by the Gallows post him leaving was completely mental, when most expected the opposite.
Great band.

Shit post Nakor, such a clown.

What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
Nakor
Tinca Tinca

Serve the spider

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2015, 02:35:17 PM »

Rebelation - not sure they have been forgotten by many to be honest.  They managed some of the minor festivals and supported some of the mainstream SKA bands in the early 2000's, maybe had a Peel session or Giles Peterson session on Radio 1 around this time as well.

When they started out they had the freshest and most powerful Horn section I have ever heard in a SKA band.  But as that big break failed to come the talent moved on.  I think the trumpet player has found himself in Bad Manners now, and the Whistle player who was a genius left music completely.

Lyrically they were very political and even the newer stuff has continued that theme.  So if you like music with something to say they are a good listen.

They still shoot round the local circuit and have a quite a following in the lowlands of Europe and tour regularly but never quite got over the cusp of wider recognition.

#Invalid YouTube Link#
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 03:03:42 PM by Nakor » Logged

Nakor
Tinca Tinca

Serve the spider

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2015, 03:06:39 PM »

Rebelation - not sure they have been forgotten by many to be honest.  They managed some of the minor festivals and supported some of the mainstream SKA bands in the early 2000's, maybe had a Peel session or Giles Peterson session on Radio 1 around this time as well.

When they started out they had the freshest and most powerful Horn section I have ever heard in a SKA band.  But as that big break failed to come the talent moved on.  I think the trumpet player has found himself in Bad Manners now, and the Whistle player who was a genius left music completely.

Lyrically they were very political and even the newer stuff has continued that theme.  So if you like music with something to say they are a good listen.

They still shoot round the local circuit and have a quite a following in the lowlands of Europe and tour regularly but never quite got over the cusp of wider recognition.

#Invalid YouTube Link#

baldock92

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2015, 03:11:45 PM »

Dragonforce

They rose to fame in the mid noughties and were well known for their outrageously fast guitar sounds mixed with an electronic sound. As a young teen I fell in love with their music, and I'm sure if you've ever tried to play their songs on some of the old Guitar Hero games you'd have been left wondering how they managed to play with such speed on a real guitar, let a lone a 5 button playstation guitar!

Feed em rice.
Nakor
Tinca Tinca

Serve the spider

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2015, 03:57:03 PM »

Lo Fidelity Allstars - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lo_Fidelity_Allstars

The first album (How to operate with a blown mind) really did "Blow my mind".
I can remember hearing Vision Incision played on Mary Anne Hobbs late night show on Radio 1 about 6 weeks before the album came out and being so excited that it was something completly new. 

The album didn't disappoint.
The opening tune to the album is still one of my favourite opening tracks to any album.

- contains strong language.

Live they were magnificiant, I stumbled across them at some festival on Hackney Marshes late at night - they appeared to play live (as live as any electronic band can be), had loads of energy onstage and were just everything I hoped they would be.

The achieved a little commercial success, but faded away after a fine second album.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: