blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:25:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272535 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 686 687 688 689 [690] 691 692 693 694 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2190800 times)
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10335 on: June 27, 2017, 02:40:30 PM »

Sturgeon backs off from secondref. Says she won't try to introduce legislation for immediately. Will revisit Autumn 2018

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10336 on: June 27, 2017, 03:37:24 PM »

awkward

Click to see full-size image.

My eyes are open wide
MintTrav

View Profile
« Reply #10337 on: June 27, 2017, 04:18:29 PM »

Maybe Theresa May should let this DUP leader handle the Brexit negotiations.

Not just a joke. Both DUP and SF are hugely experienced at negotiating with massive stakes (lives at stake, in fact) for many years. The govt would benefit from their advice.

Look at the current situation, for example. There was probably no need for the govt to concede anything to them. They would never do anything to topple the Tory govt. Yet they turned hardball when May gave the impression that she needed them and seem to have beaten the Tory negotiators to a pulp.

If I was in Tory high-command, I would consider adding some DUP to the negotiating team as strategy advisors.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 04:21:03 PM by MintTrav » Logged
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #10338 on: June 27, 2017, 04:22:41 PM »

I think £1 billion looks extremely cheap compared to the alternative of the Labour manifesto and their expenditure plans.

And as for the Europeans treating us as weaker, well many of those countries governments have been coalitions for years.

The needless pensions triple lock was in the agreement too and is expected to cost us £20bn or so over the next 40 years or so vs the double lock (and way more vs RPI/CPI only).  It depends a lot on the actual inflation rates vs forecast.  It cost us £6bn over the last parliament.

I am in the US but haven't seen this mentioned anywhere.  Of course if you compare vs the money labour were planning to spew you can ignore it and guess there was no way it was getting removed under any type of minority Government.  Though it absolutely should do.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #10339 on: June 27, 2017, 05:51:13 PM »

I think £1 billion looks extremely cheap compared to the alternative of the Labour manifesto and their expenditure plans.

And as for the Europeans treating us as weaker, well many of those countries governments have been coalitions for years.

The needless pensions triple lock was in the agreement too and is expected to cost us £20bn or so over the next 40 years or so vs the double lock (and way more vs RPI/CPI only).  It depends a lot on the actual inflation rates vs forecast.  It cost us £6bn over the last parliament.

I am in the US but haven't seen this mentioned anywhere.  Of course if you compare vs the money labour were planning to spew you can ignore it and guess there was no way it was getting removed under any type of minority Government.  Though it absolutely should do.

Apologies.  The cost is £6bn a year now compared to what it would have been without the triple lock.  The people getting excitable over £1bn are not seeing the wood for the trees. 

The labour party had maintaining this monstrosity in their manifesto too, so it would be a bit hypocritical to complain about it, but rank hypocrisy hasn't seemed a barrier to politicians commenting on Greenfell.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
buffyslayer1

View Profile
« Reply #10340 on: June 28, 2017, 09:07:05 AM »

Keep calm and carry on?

May is back to her relatively comfort zone of governing......rather than her weakness of campaigning.
Corbyn is returning to his weakness of leading an opposition..... rather than his strength of campaigning.

...and of course we are now back to typical British Summer weather.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/448986/theresa-may-jeremy-corbyn-tory-government-returns-normalcy

Not sure if you agree with the article or not. It's one of the most ridiculous things I have read this week. Pretty detached from reality.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10341 on: June 28, 2017, 10:26:27 AM »

Michael Fallon: "Austerity is never over until we clear the deficit." Why that argument no longer works for Tories:

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2017/06/how-conservatives-lost-argument-over-austerity

My eyes are open wide
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10342 on: June 28, 2017, 10:27:01 AM »

How TMay abandoned David Cameron's playbook – and paid a terrible price

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/elections/2017/06/how-theresa-may-abandoned-david-camerons-playbook-and-paid-terrible-price

My eyes are open wide
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #10343 on: June 28, 2017, 12:11:58 PM »

just watched some old Cameron vs Blair PMQ's clips.

These lads playing a different game.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10344 on: June 28, 2017, 03:34:09 PM »

Now that the three Deputy Speakers have been elected, 320 is the number needed for a working majority in the House of Commons.

My eyes are open wide
bergeroo

View Profile
« Reply #10345 on: June 28, 2017, 03:41:06 PM »

Now that the three Deputy Speakers have been elected, 320 is the number needed for a working majority in the House of Commons.

Does Ind mean Independent? Who is the independent MP in this parliament?

I love all these graphs and graphics you put up. Cheers.
KarmaDope

View Profile
« Reply #10346 on: June 28, 2017, 03:47:20 PM »

There is an Independent MP from Northern Ireland, Sylvia Hermon.

She identifies as Independent Unionist.
DMorgan

View Profile
« Reply #10347 on: June 28, 2017, 03:59:46 PM »

Just caught up, thanks to everyone that helped to kept the thread rolling over the past few weeks

Yet more interesting times ahead!

rfgqqabc

View Profile
« Reply #10348 on: June 29, 2017, 01:15:46 AM »

"A decision not to proceed with the second part of the Leveson inquiry into relations between the media and police, following the phone hacking revelations and subsequent trial of executives from the News of the World."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/18/tories-pledge-drop-leveson-part-two-investigation-corrupt-dealings/

https://www.ft.com/content/fce9027a-3bc8-11e7-821a-6027b8a20f23?mhq5j=e2

caution; didn't read this link but wanted to save it/the site for later

http://hackinginquiry.org/comment/the-governments-consultation-on-the-press-amber-rudd-and-karen-bradley-are-trying-to-deceive-the-public/

[21:05:17] Andrew W: you wasted a non spelling mistakepost?
[21:11:08] Patrick Leonard: oll
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #10349 on: June 29, 2017, 09:19:48 AM »

Really this is a dream scenario for Labour right now.

They get to pick the battles they fight with Tories, such as the pay cap for public sector workers debate yesterday, make the government gradually more and more unpopular as they go a long. But at the same time don't have to deal with the poisoned chalice of Brexit negoiations.

If Labour don't shoot themselves in the foot, they might be win a 100 seat majority in the next election.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
Pages: 1 ... 686 687 688 689 [690] 691 692 693 694 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: