blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:15:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272484 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1464 1465 1466 1467 [1468] 1469 1470 1471 1472 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2181065 times)
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #22005 on: November 15, 2019, 09:47:33 AM »

The bit where they tax Amazon, Facebook and Google more is surely ok though?  How they do it is the problem, and not sure it is easily resolved.   I kind of hate taxing some multinationals penally nd not others "correctly", though accept there can be a big dispute on what is "correctly".   The solution shouldn't be a race to the bottom between countries/states on corporation tax or we all suffer.

I get that broadband for all is a worthwhile aim, but does it need to be superfast and don't we fix all the people who haven't got usable broadband first?   There is a case that Openreach should be a Nationalised company, I have read many complaints about Openreach and the BT monopoly from all sides.  And it is 2030, so it isn't such a bold claim?

The real issue is that people just get a bit wary of the drip feed of ambitious spending plans that "others" will pay for.  I don't think the Conservatives are that far off on broadband, but they just haven't costed it, or produced a target?

The Conservatives are aiming to get superfast broadband available for everybody - that's a pretty long way from saying free broadband for everyone.

Reducing corporation tax to attract companies and how to effectively tax complex multinationals like amazon and google etc aren't really the same issue.

The latter is already being addressed, but it's far from clear how much money it'll actually raise because it's always going to be an ongoing war between accountants.

And spending that money on free broadband for everyone doesn't immediately seem like it should be a priority.

I think it is a bit of a mish mash of policies; some which I cam agree with and some that are debatable.  Getting everybody access to broadband is a noble aim, and should be done much cheaper than giving it free to me.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22006 on: November 15, 2019, 10:39:39 AM »

Of the various reactions I've seen to the Broadband announcement, this is the most rationally argued one which amplifies my initial gut instinct that this is a terrible idea.

https://twitter.com/uk_domain_names/status/1195245408953483264

In general, I like a lot of what Edwin Hayward posts.  This, from a few days ago, was another great insight, this time on the impact of the recent Tory governments:

https://twitter.com/uk_domain_names/status/1194580555033133056

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #22007 on: November 15, 2019, 06:09:51 PM »

Of the many tweets I've seen over the last few days I was surprised to see one from Paul Brand where Labour MP's have told him that they seem to be doing well on the doorstep. It's very surprising and if of course it's correct, then you've got to wonder if the Labour collapse is still likely.

Brexit Party have moved out of Tory seats - So Labour leavers still struggling to find a political home and as much as they may want to leave, would still never tick the blue party box. Therefore the move by the Brexit Party isn't what it seems.

I genuinely think Labour aren't going to get hammered in this election and I think they will be comfortably over 220 seats. Anything significantly more and that unlikelyness of Labour getting in turns into a distinct possibility, backed up by 80 MP's from LD and SNP.
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22008 on: November 15, 2019, 06:29:47 PM »

I would be interested to know which election promises, if any, people believe.

The older I get, the better I was.
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22009 on: November 15, 2019, 07:11:04 PM »

I thought we could bring together Labour's pledges and offer free broadband that only works four days a week.

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #22010 on: November 15, 2019, 07:21:13 PM »

I thought we could bring together Labour's pledges and offer free broadband that only works four days a week.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #22011 on: November 15, 2019, 07:48:12 PM »

Add in the trains too......only the older bunch on here will remember how useless British Rail was  Angry
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #22012 on: November 15, 2019, 07:52:22 PM »

‘To endorse Jeremy Corbyn as prime minister would be to surrender in the fight against anti-Jewish prejudice, say 24 signatories including John Le Carré, Fay Weldon, Joanna Lumley and William Boyd’

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/14/concerns-about-antisemitism-mean-we-cannot-vote-labour?CMP=fb_gu&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1573804917
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #22013 on: November 15, 2019, 08:20:22 PM »

Add in the trains too......only the older bunch on here will remember how useless British Rail was  Angry

British rail was truly terrible but lots of examples of state owned rail working really well - you'd hope we'd do a better job of it these days if it came to it

sola virtus nobilitat
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #22014 on: November 15, 2019, 08:26:07 PM »

‘To endorse Jeremy Corbyn as prime minister would be to surrender in the fight against anti-Jewish prejudice, say 24 signatories including John Le Carré, Fay Weldon, Joanna Lumley and William Boyd’

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/14/concerns-about-antisemitism-mean-we-cannot-vote-labour?CMP=fb_gu&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1573804917

Labour are no more or less discernably anti-semitic than anyone else imho.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #22015 on: November 15, 2019, 08:28:01 PM »

British rail was truly terrible but lots of examples of state owned rail working really well - you'd hope we'd do a better job of it these days if it came to it

I travel around the whole of the UK on trains probably 2-3 days a week, they are honestly pretty good on the whole compared to back in the BR day.

Did a first this week, took an overnight sleeper from Paddington to Truro, it exceeded my expectations. Partly did it for the experience but I really enjoyed it......
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #22016 on: November 15, 2019, 08:30:22 PM »

Well they are referring to JC rather than the broader labour I think, either way he’s a useless fk.....don’t know how anyone could vote for him tbh given the sensible candidates they could have had, but the nutters took over labour......
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22017 on: November 15, 2019, 10:32:36 PM »

https://twitter.com/staylorish/status/1195406354065821700?s=20

Looks like the costings for the broadband pledge were subject to a bit of a spreadsheet error.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #22018 on: November 16, 2019, 01:22:13 AM »

Well they are referring to JC rather than the broader labour I think, either way he’s a useless fk.....don’t know how anyone could vote for him tbh given the sensible candidates they could have had, but the nutters took over labour......

Some people who don't vote labour are continuing to not vote labour?   

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #22019 on: November 16, 2019, 03:18:30 AM »

Some people who don't vote labour are continuing to not vote labour?   

Can’t imagine he’s attracting many new voters......it’s more of a case how many does he bleed to other parties, mostly Lib Dem’s I would think.
Pages: 1 ... 1464 1465 1466 1467 [1468] 1469 1470 1471 1472 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: