blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 11:26:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272534 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 1488 1489 1490 1491 [1492] 1493 1494 1495 1496 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2189685 times)
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #22365 on: December 06, 2019, 01:43:54 PM »

I was chatting to a work colleague this week, poker player you'd know of, who is canvassing for the Labour party in his spare time in marginals across London and the South.

I told him I couldn't vote for either major party and he told me what he says on the doorstep is "you don't have to like Corbyn to vote for Labour, he won't be around for ever..."

He battles it on the campaign trail every day

I have never voted Labour, but probably would have done this time (against this iteration of the Conservative party) if I had a Cooper or a Benn or a Starmer in charge toning down the barmy/over-optmistic/unedifying stuff and I suppose that might be said of plenty of marginal voters who just can't hold their nose and do it for a Corbyn led party but could for something a little more palatable

As it is, the Brexit vote is a lot more unified than the remain vote 

Think your friend is wrong on this or fighting a losing battle at least. All parties are a bit hoist by their own petard when it comes to trying to play down the importance of individuals/leaders.

The left are very happy to talk about Trump as though he is America or will be in power for ever - ludicrous to develop and foster this hate of all things American because they do things differently to us. Silly to attack Johnson rather than conservative policy in my view - it's a distraction. They do the same with Jo Swinson. Anyhoo, general point is that you can't go around personalising and trivialising everything through personal attacks and then try to dissuade people from judging your party on the basis of the leader you elected.

At a basic level, actually you really do have to like Corbyn to vote Labour right now

sola virtus nobilitat
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22366 on: December 06, 2019, 02:14:53 PM »

do you think Labour had a decent shot at a majority government under a diferent leader?

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
buffyslayer1

View Profile
« Reply #22367 on: December 06, 2019, 02:49:36 PM »

do you think Labour had a decent shot at a majority government under a diferent leader?

I know wasn't directed at me, but personally I do. I don't really dislike Corbyn that much. To be honest I am not really sure why he is by so many, but regardless the thing is many do and just won't vote labour no matter how good the policies they propose are. Not saying they are good, just it seems with him as leader they won't ever be elected.

Last election which May held onto power just about, I think labour would have pulled off a shock victory. Because the Tories manifesto was so poor both in policies and execution and the leader had 0 charisma. Not that it should matter but it does in today's world. Another problem corbyn has as well in my opinion, but having charm/charisma and being a good orator is very important in terms of getting message across and getting people on board.

Jon MW

View Profile
« Reply #22368 on: December 06, 2019, 02:52:44 PM »

I know wasn't directed at me, but personally I do. I don't really dislike Corbyn that much. To be honest I am not really sure why he is by so many, but regardless the thing is many do and just won't vote labour no matter how good the policies they propose are. Not saying they are good, just it seems with him as leader they won't ever be elected.

Last election which May held onto power just about, I think labour would have pulled off a shock victory. Because the Tories manifesto was so poor both in policies and execution and the leader had 0 charisma. Not that it should matter but it does in today's world. Another problem corbyn has as well in my opinion, but having charm/charisma and being a good orator is very important in terms of getting message across and getting people on board.

While you may be right - I think that if Corbyn hadn't been Labour leader, there wouldn't have been an election called and if there was it would have been a different manifesto and different campaign.

Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield

2011 blonde MTT League August Champion
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - 2007 Razz Champion
2007 WSOP Razz - 13/341
nirvana

View Profile
« Reply #22369 on: December 06, 2019, 04:07:57 PM »

Probably not but a fair chance of getting to be the Government with LD, SNP support

sola virtus nobilitat
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22370 on: December 06, 2019, 05:00:44 PM »

I was chatting to a work colleague this week, poker player you'd know of, who is canvassing for the Labour party in his spare time in marginals across London and the South.

I told him I couldn't vote for either major party and he told me what he says on the doorstep is "you don't have to like Corbyn to vote for Labour, he won't be around for ever..."

He battles it on the campaign trail every day

I have never voted Labour, but probably would have done this time (against this iteration of the Conservative party) if I had a Cooper or a Benn or a Starmer in charge toning down the barmy/over-optmistic/unedifying stuff and I suppose that might be said of plenty of marginal voters who just can't hold their nose and do it for a Corbyn led party but could for something a little more palatable

As it is, the Brexit vote is a lot more unified than the remain vote 

I'm guessing this is the one who's spent the last 4 years branding himself in pro-Corbyn gear, so I suspect most people will be thinking of the same person with regard to the 'mystery activist'.

The "won't be around forever" line must have been part of their canvassing briefings as it's the same line that was fed to us on our doorstep, and it's pathetic.  The reason Corbyn is disliked isn't simply a case of a personality clash that magically disappears when he steps down.  It's the fact that he's been responsible for fundamentally turning the party into an intolerant cesspit where former SWP, Communist Party members and anarchists now make up the core fabric of the CLPs, NEC and the head office functions, and they've gone back to the dark days of being run by union bosses (one union boss in particular, in this case).

Corbyn's personal history only accounts for a small part of the problem.  There'll be a favourable reaction when he does step down, but simply replacing him with someone like RLB, Pidcock, Burgon or whichever is the favourite acolyte of the moment won't be enough unless the inner workings fundamentally change.  The more moderate leadership candidates that would give them a wider electoral appeal won't get elected ahead of whichever Corbynista they ultimately align behind after a bit of an internal power struggle.

I doubt there's an internal will within the party to make any fundamental changes.  The best hope is that the EHRC verdict will change that by making things untenable for the senior party members, but I fully expect them to plough on regardless to ensure that they don't relinquish control of the party that they now hold.  The small matter of winning elections will always be secondary to this.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22371 on: December 06, 2019, 07:01:53 PM »

Another thread of observations from Lewis Goodall, who's reporting has been generally excellent, both before and during the campaign.

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1202982233520386048

It initially reads as very bleak for Labour,

The comments on potential reluctance of Tories to vote could be an interesting factor next week, particularly if the weather is bad on election day.  Presumably the Tories are at greater risk of this via their generally older voter base.  Labour will presumably have an advantage in their ability to mobilise their voter base, so you would assume that bad weather will favour them, in relative terms.

I'm hopeful it still might be enough to bring things back into hung Parliament territory, despite what the polls are currently indicating.  Such are the joys of hoping for another non-result.

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #22372 on: December 06, 2019, 09:10:59 PM »

Corbyn is winning this debate, the response from the audience is clear

Corbyn - clear and decisive

Boris - blabbering
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22373 on: December 06, 2019, 09:12:53 PM »

Interesting thread here outlining how there could be three potential sources of polling error, and all three would overstate the Tory vote share in the polls.

https://twitter.com/centrist_phone/status/1202678707288264709
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22374 on: December 06, 2019, 09:39:45 PM »

Boris - blabbering

๐Ÿ˜‚

On who performed best in the #BBCDebate:

Boris Johnson: 52%
Jeremy Corbyn: 48%

via @YouGov
Representative survey of viewers

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22375 on: December 06, 2019, 10:20:34 PM »

All that debate did for me was reinforce the existing view that neither of them deserve to be anywhere close to Number 10.

The fact that one of them will be next Friday is depressing beyond belief.

aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #22376 on: December 07, 2019, 01:00:48 AM »

Boris - blabbering

๐Ÿ˜‚

On who performed best in the #BBCDebate:

Boris Johnson: 52%
Jeremy Corbyn: 48%

via @YouGov
Representative survey of viewers

The problem with 52% is that theyโ€™ve always been seen as stupid

YouGov polling is biased anyway
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #22377 on: December 07, 2019, 01:32:40 AM »

Looks like Johnson is trying to do a May here

Leader satisfaction ratings:

Johnson
Satisfied 36%
Dissatisfied 56%
Net -20

Corbyn
Satisfied 24%
Dissatisfied 68%
Net -44

Corbyn up from -60 to -44 since Nov
Johnson down from +2 to -20

In 2017 at this time Corbyn was -11 and May -7.

Above from Britain Elects

Though not much to see here

Tory lead now below 10pts according to the Britain Elects poll tracker:

CON: 42.4% (+0.1)
LAB: 32.8% (+1.4)
LDEM: 13.1% (-1.0)
BREX: 3.4% (-0.4)
GRN: 3.0% (-0.2)

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #22378 on: December 07, 2019, 09:25:05 AM »

Marina Hyde was very good yesterday

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/dec/06/tories-johnson-scary-manifesto-scrutiny-safari-park

In amongst that she raises the serious issue of page 48 where they promise to do what the heck they like in the future.   We won't have pesky citizens taking us to court when we do something illegal etc.

https://www.indy100.com/article/page-48-tory-manifesto-general-election-judiciary-courts-constitution-9234351

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Alverton

View Profile
« Reply #22379 on: December 07, 2019, 11:18:48 AM »

All that debate did for me was reinforce the existing view that neither of them deserve to be anywhere close to Number 10.

The fact that one of them will be next Friday is depressing beyond belief.

Very much this.
Pages: 1 ... 1488 1489 1490 1491 [1492] 1493 1494 1495 1496 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: