blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 08:34:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272715 Posts in 66756 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged
Poll
Question: How will you vote on December 12th 2019
Conservative - 19 (33.9%)
Labour - 12 (21.4%)
SNP - 2 (3.6%)
Lib Dem - 8 (14.3%)
Brexit - 1 (1.8%)
Green - 6 (10.7%)
Other - 2 (3.6%)
Spoil - 0 (0%)
Not voting - 6 (10.7%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: 1 ... 201 202 203 204 [205] 206 207 208 209 ... 1533 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The UK Politics and EU Referendum thread - merged  (Read 2217987 times)
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #3060 on: June 23, 2016, 12:03:10 AM »

Doobs and Camel talk about increasing immigration to pay for us when we are old which is correct, but aren't we just kicking the can down the road?  Presumably we bring in a load of working age bods to generate tax and then they'll get old and we'll have to increase the number of new workers again.  At some point we'll run out of capacity unless we are planning to kick out the new tax generators once they have done their bit and paid for our care homes!

So what's the answer?

Selective immigration of skilled workers who earn higher salaries and pay more tax.

When my Dad was in a care home for the last few months of his life not one of the nurses, cooks or cleaning staff was a native British person.

How do you propose to staff care homes and hospitals which within 30 years we will need far more than we've got now.

Employ some of the 1.5 mill (or whatever the actual number is) unemployed in the uk first, then fill any shortfall with other immigrants as we require.

British people (on the whole) don't want shitty jobs.

Tough shit, they shouldn't get to choose over sitting on their arse, take the job or lose your benefits. Not having money tends to focus the mind....

I did all kinds of shit jobs when I was starting out, never did me any harm. Rights of passage imo...
Pinchop73

View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: June 23, 2016, 12:03:54 AM »

You can't have Open Borders and a Welfare State.

First they came for the nits, and I did not speak out because I was not a nit
Pinchop73

View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: June 23, 2016, 12:06:13 AM »

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the ones most adaptable to change

First they came for the nits, and I did not speak out because I was not a nit
david3103

View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: June 23, 2016, 12:07:29 AM »

Doobs and Camel talk about increasing immigration to pay for us when we are old which is correct, but aren't we just kicking the can down the road?  Presumably we bring in a load of working age bods to generate tax and then they'll get old and we'll have to increase the number of new workers again.  At some point we'll run out of capacity unless we are planning to kick out the new tax generators once they have done their bit and paid for our care homes!

So what's the answer?

Selective immigration of skilled workers who earn higher salaries and pay more tax.

When my Dad was in a care home for the last few months of his life not one of the nurses, cooks or cleaning staff was a native British person.

How do you propose to staff care homes and hospitals which within 30 years we will need far more than we've got now.

The Windward generation came to these shores in the post war years to fill gaps in our workforce. They grew up and enriched our nation. The Ugandan Asians arrived some time later and have also had a positive impact over the years. We have taken in the displaced of many conflicts.

Right now there are millions of people who have been displaced by war and famine in the world beyond Europe. One report suggested a number that is the equivalent of the U.K. population. We can't take them all, but I'd feel a lot better about my country if it was seeing net migration of 300,000 a year from that group. Our capacity to help these people is limited by our commitment to the EU. Sure we can allow EU citizens to come here to work, but the operative word has to be allow.

It's more about the winning than the winnings

5 November 2012 - Kinboshi says "Best post ever on blonde thumbs up"
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: June 23, 2016, 11:23:17 AM »

this is really really good on some of the issues we were talking about last night

The UK is now two nations, staring across a political chasm

Leave voters aren’t lemmings jumping off a cliff, and the left urgently needs to understand their choices

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/23/united-kingdom-two-nations-political-chasm-left?CMP=share_btn_tw

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3065 on: June 23, 2016, 11:47:06 AM »

Price on Remain has crashed in the past hour - Leave now out to 6.2 on betfair, the biggest it's been since the campaign began. FTSE also jumped 80 points and the pound gained a cent vs the dollar.

Looks like whoever has commissioned some private exit polls have started getting some data back.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3066 on: June 23, 2016, 11:53:14 AM »

Quick question from a dense person about currency

Looks like Remain is happening, I get paid in dollars, would it be in my interest to submit my regular invoice today, or tomorrow, assuming Remain does happen, to get the better exchange rate? I'd get paid same day so would be instant.
AndrewT
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3067 on: June 23, 2016, 11:56:43 AM »

Looks like Remain is happening, I get paid in dollars, would it be in my interest to submit my regular invoice today, or tomorrow, assuming Remain does happen, to get the better exchange rate? I'd get paid same day so would be instant.

Today you will get more pounds for your dollar than you will tomorrow, though with this move in the past hour the market may already have adjusted as far as it will go
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: June 23, 2016, 11:57:01 AM »

yesterday!

Seriously, if you want certainty I'd do it now.  Most of thE currency gain from remain should be already in there.  Guess you are taking a 6/1 chance on a 10% pay drop if you wait until tomorrow.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3069 on: June 23, 2016, 12:00:54 PM »

Thanks guys, confirmed what my gut instinct was there, will do. If nothing else its a fun little gamble of sorts.
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: June 23, 2016, 12:05:43 PM »

Thanks guys, confirmed what my gut instinct was there, will do. If nothing else its a fun little gamble of sorts.

actually, I got it the wrong way round.  You are paid in dollars, so a sterling collapse is in your interest.  Gamble on the 10% pay increase like a boss. 

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: June 23, 2016, 12:11:06 PM »

I have one nice invoice submitted in $, paid in £ next Monday. Sweat :-)

My eyes are open wide
Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: June 23, 2016, 12:15:20 PM »

Am tempted to take the 6/1, then at least if the proper working class get their way then I can have a nice glass of champagne in my Tuscan villa to drown my sorrows.  Ok Yah.

TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: June 23, 2016, 12:15:29 PM »

Price on Remain has crashed in the past hour - Leave now out to 6.2 on betfair, the biggest it's been since the campaign began. FTSE also jumped 80 points and the pound gained a cent vs the dollar.

Looks like whoever has commissioned some private exit polls have started getting some data back.

I was exit polled this morning (or at least thats what he told me it was), but i didn't think there were any exit polls tonight

anyone else been exit polled?

My eyes are open wide
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3074 on: June 23, 2016, 12:21:28 PM »

Am tempted to take the 6/1, then at least if the proper working class get their way then I can have a nice glass of champagne in my Tuscan villa to drown my sorrows.  Ok Yah.

That will be nice for you before the Gulag come along and seize it from you Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 203 204 [205] 206 207 208 209 ... 1533 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: