blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 01:16:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272891 Posts in 66759 Topics by 16723 Members
Latest Member: callpri
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Championship chat 2017-18
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 ... 38 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Championship chat 2017-18  (Read 100658 times)
NoCardDSC

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: May 18, 2016, 02:44:46 PM »

Jeez, last night was not a pleasant watch - what a shocking performance all over the park by us (Hull). Livermore's second half just about made up for his absolute howling first.

Looking forward to another Wembley day, always handy living in Milton Keynes for these occasions, a lot less effort/stress commuting. (Yes a Hull fan that comes and lives in Milton Keynes, bizarre).

Anyway - if we play like we did on Saturday, we'll walk it. Last night, lose 3/4 nil. We have been seriously inconsistent the last 6 months. We just need to ensure we get the ball on the ground, Huddlestone/Livermore are strong in the middle of the park and we get  wide to the likes of Elmo who can deliver a ridiculous costs.

We'll also need to make sure we can get the ball up to Abel.H - which did not happen whatsoever last night.

Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: May 30, 2016, 12:21:22 PM »

Just thought I'd have a quick look around this thread.  Had forgotten what it felt like to be part of it!

See you in August.

Cheesy

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: May 30, 2016, 12:28:34 PM »

Just thought I'd have a quick look around this thread.  Had forgotten what it felt like to be part of it!

See you in August.

Cheesy

Well done Sheriff, great result for you.

Impressive turn around in last 5 months.

DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #333 on: May 30, 2016, 01:55:23 PM »

See you in August.

Cheesy

Well done Sheriff, great result for you.

Impressive turn around in last 5 months.

This, I was amazed when I saw where you were at Crimbo, almost Leicester-esque in the turnaround.

Plus I'm glad Millwall will not be joining us next year.
Sheriff Fatman
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: May 30, 2016, 06:40:24 PM »

Despite it being started whilst he was still in charge, the turnaround is undoubtedly a result of Lee Johnson leaving the club in February, and Heckingbottom being put in charge.  Never can having a manager being poached from you have been as beneficial to a football club.  We didn't even replace the missing body (Hecky stepped up from the U21 coaches role) until the end of the season, so we effectively did things with a man down.

If Johnson had stayed he'd have eventually tinkered us back into another downward spiral.  Players who were under-performing under him suddenly found confidence again and it slowly enabled us to gain momentum.  Almost throwing things away in the penultimate game against Colchester, when we conceded in the dying seconds to draw 2-2 against 10 men, provided the kick up the arse required and we've been fantastic in the games since then vs Wigan, Walsall (x2) and the anti-football, hoofball tactics adopted by Millwall.

Next season will undoubtedly be a battle against the odds to stay up, but I'll take that for every season I can get.  The key for us now is to retain Hourihane, Hammill, etc (we have a chance of this now that we can offer Championship football).  The John Stones transfer situation is also important as we have a 15% sell-on clause (that's the most-quoted figure, but no-one knows for sure) which will potentially break our incoming transfer record in itself.

Having abandoned all hope in the season at Christmas, it's miraculous to even be thinking about Championship football again in August, and I have the memory of two wins at Wembley this season too.

This season has been incredible in terms of footballing stories.  Leicester, Wimbledon, Burton Albion and Northampton Town are all remarkable stories in themselves.  Nothing will top the Leicester one, but Barnsley 2016 is another remarkable one to add to the list, even taking into account the obvious bias.

"...And If You Flash Him A Smile He'll Take Your Teeth As Deposit..."
"Sheriff Fatman" - Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine

2006 Blonde Caption Comp Ultimate Champion (to be replaced by actual poker achievements when I have any)

GUKPT Online Main Event Winner 2008 (yay, a poker achievement!)
NoCardDSC

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: May 31, 2016, 01:36:15 PM »

See you in August.

Cheesy

One man in one man out Smiley

aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 20, 2016, 12:27:40 AM »

What's happened to Wolves for them to be considered one of the favourites to go up? It wasn't long ago, they was being tipped as likely relegation candidates.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 20, 2016, 12:30:56 AM »

What's happened to Wolves for them to be considered one of the favourites to go up? It wasn't long ago, they was being tipped as likely relegation candidates.

Potential buy out in the mix.  Change of ownership.  Follow Nick goff on twitter (head of football at Corals and big Wolves fan).  Most of the info is on there generally Wolves related.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 20, 2016, 12:34:15 AM »

Potential buy out in the mix.  Change of ownership.  Follow Nick goff on twitter (head of football at Corals and big Wolves fan).  Most of the info is on there generally Wolves related.  Given the fact lolarols are stupidly clear bottom price Wolves i would imagine it will probably be going through.
aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: July 28, 2016, 06:49:03 AM »

Not long till it starts off again, I'd go against it it being ultra competitive this year, because it looks very likely the winner is going to be one from two. In fact, in my view, it looks like a three tiered league

Norwich
Newcastle

Wednesday
Derby
Brighton
Villa

Rest (where they all beat each other)

Not sure on Wigan/Wolves
rinswun

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: July 28, 2016, 09:34:20 AM »

My prediction:

Newcastle
Norwich
---------------
Derby
Wednesday
Cardiff
Brighton
---------------
Birmingham
Brentford
Leeds
Villa
QPR
Ipswich
Forest
Wolves
Bristol City
Wigan
Huddersfield Town
Reading
Fulham
Barnsley
Blackburn
-----------------
Preston
Rotherham
Burton

Free Golf Tips - www.fairwaywedge.com

@fairwaywedge
anthonyl
Old blog:

www.lindfield1984.blogspot.com

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: July 28, 2016, 09:45:06 AM »

1 Newcastle
2 Norwich
---------------
3 Brighton
4 Wednesday
5 Villa
6 Bristol City
---------------
7 Wolves

21 Reading
-----------------
22 Birmingham
23 Rotherham
24 Burton

RickBFA

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: July 28, 2016, 10:38:23 PM »

Pudil and Abdi signings confirmed.

Pudil a competent left back at this level.

Abdi seems like a top, top quality creative midfielder.

Add these to Fletcher at centre forward who should be excellent at this level which makes three great signings.

We need a quality centre half and we'll have a great base for a promotion push this season.

Will be tough though, you have to expect Norwich, Newcastle, Brighton, Derby, Villa and another surprise package to make it really competitive.

aaron1867

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: July 29, 2016, 11:23:41 AM »

I think Brighton will be very interesting. They came from nowhere last year, but look as if they are going to lose a couple of their best players. Expecting us to be above them and potentially being a few places worse off than last season
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 29, 2016, 11:26:17 AM »

came from nowhere? i think Brighton have been in the play offs 3 of the last 4 seasons?

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 ... 38 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: