blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:46:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272603 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Devastating news , what would you do ?....Tunisia
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Devastating news , what would you do ?....Tunisia  (Read 21887 times)
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2015, 08:18:27 PM »

I probably would go too, no more riskier than this time last week.

Yeah, but as we now know, it was very risky last week.

We knew that last week tho, and the week before, and the week before etc

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
LonOhRay

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2015, 08:35:41 PM »

Absolutely no chance

I quantify basically everything I do on some sort of scale be it risk or otherwise, consciously or subconsciously, and even a 10000/1 chance this could happen again over a 2 week period is not worth the risk for me. I couldn't enjoy myself and would be looking over my shoulder the whole time. Let alone leaving my family to worry about me for the time I was gone.
Hard to put numbers on it but it feels smaller than 10000/1 for a dangerous situation to arise.
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2015, 08:44:29 PM »

But surely the point is, if you booked knowing there was a risk, then that risk hasn't changed, and if it has changed, then it's changed for the better?

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
leethefish

winners never quit quitters never win

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2015, 08:50:39 PM »

My feelings are......

We booked this in January and have been working hard to pay for it if I was to cancel I will get approximately £2800
We won't get all-inclusive anywhere for that for two weeks and we can't afford to pay anymore!

Now as much as you would all say can't put a price on life ...of course I can't.

My kids 11-15-16 have seen the news and still want to go desperately

If we didn't go anywhere anything bad has ever happened we wouldn't go anywhere

The chances of something else happening are slim (imo)

The chances of us being in the wrong place at the wrong time .....slim

Just my thoughts

http://www.ljwcarpenter.co.uk       

http://alzheimers.org.uk/

www.ageuk.org.uk/

If you can meet with triumph and disaster And treat those two impostors just the same......yours is the Earth and everything that's in it...And - which is more --you'll be a Man, my son.
The Camel

Under my tree, being a troll.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2015, 08:53:36 PM »

Absolutely no chance

I quantify basically everything I do on some sort of scale be it risk or otherwise, consciously or subconsciously, and even a 10000/1 chance this could happen again over a 2 week period is not worth the risk for me. I couldn't enjoy myself and would be looking over my shoulder the whole time. Let alone leaving my family to worry about me for the time I was gone.
Hard to put numbers on it but it feels smaller than 10000/1 for a dangerous situation to arise.

I would say anyone who likes a drink is a lot less than 10000/1 to get in a dangerous situation in Las Vegas.

Probably well shorter than 1000/1 to be frank.

2 of my friends have got in very dangerous spots there independently.

In fact, one of them was probably less than 10/1 to be coming home in a box at one point.

Congratulations to the 2012 League Champion - Stapleton Atheists

"Keith The Camel, a true champion!" - Brent Horner 30th December 2012

"I dont think you're a wanker Keith" David Nicholson 4th March 2013
kinboshi
ROMANES EUNT DOMUS
Administrator

We go again.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2015, 08:54:54 PM »

A friend of mine was at the hotel next door by the pool when it happened.  Last I heard (yesterday) is that they were trying to get a flight back today.  I can understand why someone out there now would want to come home.  But if you're going out there in a week or so - is the risk higher?  If you think there might be subsequent attacks, then the risk would be higher than you previously thought was there. If you think it's unlikely, and that there'll be lots of armed security in place now, then it's probably a lot safer.  Also less likely to be hassled or pick-pocketed, etc.!

The question is, if you don't go to Tunisia, because of the risk then where do you choose to go?  There 'could' be a terrorist attack in Bali, Spain, Turkey, London or anywhere in the next few weeks.  But it's hard to make a rational decision at a time like this.  There was a big crash on the M40 the other day, does that mean I should avoid the M40 for the next few months?  The risk is the same now as it was last week, and the risk of being in a car crash is probably higher than being caught in a terrorist attack by a factor of hundreds or thousands.  Yet, we continue to drive our cars, cross the road, get out of bed in the morning.

'The meme for blind faith secures its own perpetuation by the simple unconscious expedient of discouraging rational inquiry.'
The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2015, 08:56:00 PM »

My feelings are......

We booked this in January and have been working hard to pay for it if I was to cancel I will get approximately £2800
We won't get all-inclusive anywhere for that for two weeks and we can't afford to pay anymore!

Now as much as you would all say can't put a price on life ...of course I can't.

Just my thoughts

Is that a full refund?

If it is, you should think about cancelling and rebooking.

Sure there will some extremely cheap offers available for the next few months.

leethefish

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2015, 08:56:37 PM »

A friend of mine was at the hotel next door by the pool when it happened.  Last I heard (yesterday) is that they were trying to get a flight back today.  I can understand why someone out there now would want to come home.  But if you're going out there in a week or so - is the risk higher?  If you think there might be subsequent attacks, then the risk would be higher than you previously thought was there. If you think it's unlikely, and that there'll be lots of armed security in place now, then it's probably a lot safer.  Also less likely to be hassled or pick-pocketed, etc.!

The question is, if you don't go to Tunisia, because of the risk then where do you choose to go?  There 'could' be a terrorist attack in Bali, Spain, Turkey, London or anywhere in the next few weeks.  But it's hard to make a rational decision at a time like this.  There was a big crash on the M40 the other day, does that mean I should avoid the M40 for the next few months?  The risk is the same now as it was last week, and the risk of being in a car crash is probably higher than being caught in a terrorist attack by a factor of hundreds or thousands.  Yet, we continue to drive our cars, cross the road, get out of bed in the morning.

Good points boshi

www.ageuk.org.uk/

If you can meet with triumph and disaster And treat those two impostors just the same......yours is the Earth and everything that's in it...And - which is more --you'll be a Man, my son.
leethefish

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2015, 08:57:48 PM »

My feelings are......

Just my thoughts

Is that a full refund?

If it is, you should think about cancelling and rebooking.

Sure there will some extremely cheap offers available for the next few months.

Good point

www.ageuk.org.uk/

LonOhRay

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2015, 09:02:33 PM »

But surely the point is, if you booked knowing there was a risk, then that risk hasn't changed, and if it has changed, then it's changed for the better?

Also true if you were aware of the previous attacks and unrest.  I was looking for a cheap short haul holiday for a week leaving the next day or within the week a month ago, I could have gone to any number of Tunisian hotels for £230pp all inclusive but I never considered it.

If you could get a refund on this one and weren't put off by another attack I'm sure prices will drop even more if any UK travel agents offer them.
George2Loose

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2015, 09:11:51 PM »

Think for me it'd be peace of mind. I think it's probably safer to go now then at any other time but can see myself being able to relax and would probably be super paranoid. Also if something did happen with the recent history I don't think I'd ever be able to get over it

Ole Ole Ole Ole!
RED-DOG
International Lover World Wide Playboy
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2015, 09:14:30 PM »

Think for me it'd be peace of mind. I think it's probably safer to go now then at any other time but can see myself being able to relax and would probably be super paranoid. Also if something did happen with the recent history I don't think I'd ever be able to get over it

This about sums it up for me.

The older I get, the better I was.
LonOhRay

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2015, 09:14:54 PM »

Also true about Vegas, I've been in some unfavourable situations too. The same can be said about drinking in any nightclub in England or walking down the wrong street at night.

If you have drunk you willingly altered your state of mind and changed actions/behaviour putting yourself at risk somewhat. - Obviously nobody is going to not drink or enjoy theirselves because of potential risk in Vegas until something serious happens to them or friends. They might not plan to drink a bottle of Vodka and 10 beers in Iran because it's a different scenario and their perceived risk is a lot higher.

If there is a terrorist attack there is next to nothing you can do about it and there is a high chance you will die if caught up in it, that is without drinking or waving an anti Islamic banner, it's just by being in the country.

Simon Galloway

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2015, 11:26:28 PM »

In Vegas, you stick to the strip, the canopy and Peppermints and you'll be very safe, by any city's standards.  </derail>

For Tunisia, I'd take my refund tyvm.

The Camel

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2015, 12:19:49 AM »

In Vegas, you stick to the strip, the canopy and Peppermints and you'll be very safe, by any city's standards.  </derail>

For Tunisia, I'd take my refund tyvm.

Both incidents I was refering to started off with a *chance* encounter with a female on the strip.

They were quickly led far away from the safe confines.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: