blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:23:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272540 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  Betting Tips and Sport Discussion
| | |-+  Nadal / Woods / Neither ?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nadal / Woods / Neither ?  (Read 30648 times)
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2019, 09:05:54 AM »

Well yes, his downfall was self-inflicted, & the public are usually very unforgiving in these things.

Generally though, most people are essentially decent, & I think we all love a great comeback, when someone overcomes huge adversity.

The public adore him too. He's a black American, the Masters is held in Georgia of all places, & the galleries were almost exclusively white. Great stuff.

Click to see full-size image.

I think you’ll find mixed race is the correct PC terminology 

Honest to God, I have no idea what we are supposed to say these days, folks can take offence at anything.

It was, for most of my life, acceptable to describe people simply as blacks or whites. About 10 years ago, in a Live Update, Maria Demetriou chided me for using "black", she said "coloured" is correct. Or I might have that back to front, I have no idea.

Then "person of colour" became the thing.

Mixed race? I spent all my life describing that as "half-caste", & it never struck me there was anything wrong with that. Can't say that now though.

If that is confusing, it gets even worse with gender, of which, if I'm not mistaken, there are now 3 varieties.

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2019, 09:09:40 AM »

Also shows just how much success at top level sport is mental.
He's gone from a distressed personal life and playing poorly/injured/disinterested to having sorted his shit out and back playing to his abilities again.
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 15, 2019, 09:14:44 AM »

Well yes, his downfall was self-inflicted, & the public are usually very unforgiving in these things.

Generally though, most people are essentially decent, & I think we all love a great comeback, when someone overcomes huge adversity.

The public adore him too. He's a black American, the Masters is held in Georgia of all places, & the galleries were almost exclusively white. Great stuff.

Honest to God, I have no idea what we are supposed to say these days, folks can take offence at anything.

It was, for most of my life, acceptable to describe people simply as blacks or whites. About 10 years ago, in a Live Update, Maria Demetriou chided me for using "black", she said "coloured" is correct. Or I might have that back to front, I have no idea.

Mixed race? I spent all my life describing that as "half-caste", & it never struck me there was anything wrong with that. Can't say that now though.

If that is confusing, it gets even worse with gender, of which, if I'm not mistaken, there are now 3 varieties.

Haha, I honestly dont care was just joking. The last time I checked I wasnt even white  Cheesy
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 15, 2019, 09:16:39 AM »

Haha, I honestly dont care was just joking. The last time I checked I wasnt even white  Cheesy

I know, but it's interesting, isn't it, how things change so?

All details of the 2016 Vegas Staking Adventure can be found via this link - http://bit.ly/1pdQZDY (copyright Anthony James Kendall, 2016).
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 15, 2019, 10:12:49 AM »

Think I saw an article somewhere saying there is over 60, just madness.

Funny thing I saw on Rogan was a guy trolling all this bs. He identified as a woman for a minute, while he broke the women's deadlift record Cheesy

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 15, 2019, 10:48:31 AM »

Half-caste is offensive because it suggests that you are only half pure.  Mixed race is fine, though we had an arguement here the other day where someone suggested mixed heritage is better. 

If Tiger Woods says he is black, it is fine to call him that, but he is a very mixed bag.  People see themselves differently.  I get your point earlier, My memory is terrible, but I think when he first started playing there, it was all-white membership at Augusta.  I am pretty sure it has changed in my lifetime, which can only be a good thing.

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
tikay
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2019, 11:00:48 AM »

Half-caste is offensive because it suggests that you are only half pure.  Mixed race is fine, though we had an arguement here the other day where someone suggested mixed heritage is better.  

If Tiger Woods says he is black, it is fine to call him that, but he is a very mixed bag.  People see themselves differently.  I get your point earlier, My memory is terrible, but I think when he first started playing there, it was all-white membership at Augusta.  I am pretty sure it has changed in my lifetime, which can only be a good thing.

Half-caste may have been offensive, but it was the standard terminology not long ago. Certainly no offence was intended by those who described it like that & I very much doubt many, if any, realised it meant "half pure".  

As to Augusta National, this is what Wiki tell us;

The club long held racist and sexist policies: Augusta National had no African American members until 1990 and women until 2012. The club, which long required all caddies to be black, barred black golfers from the Masters Tournament until Lee Elder participated in 1975. In 1997, Tiger Woods became the first person of color to win the tournament; Vijay Singh later became the second.

Thankfully all that's in the rear-view mirror now. Interesting context though.

Doobs

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 15, 2019, 11:08:03 AM »

Half-caste is offensive because it suggests that you are only half pure.  Mixed race is fine, though we had an arguement here the other day where someone suggested mixed heritage is better.  

If Tiger Woods says he is black, it is fine to call him that, but he is a very mixed bag.  People see themselves differently.  I get your point earlier, My memory is terrible, but I think when he first started playing there, it was all-white membership at Augusta.  I am pretty sure it has changed in my lifetime, which can only be a good thing.

Half-caste may have been offensive, but it was the standard terminology not long ago. Certainly no offence was intended by those who described it like that & I very much doubt many, if any, realised it meant "half pure".  

As to Augusta National, this is what Wiki tell us;

The club long held racist and sexist policies: Augusta National had no African American members until 1990 and women until 2012. The club, which long required all caddies to be black, barred black golfers from the Masters Tournament until Lee Elder participated in 1975. In 1997, Tiger Woods became the first person of color to win the tournament; Vijay Singh later became the second.

Thankfully all that's in the rear-view mirror now. Interesting context though.

No women until 2012 is pretty sad, but I am sure there are a fair few clubs where women still have second class membership.  It seems mad these days. 

Even in that sentence you can see the differences; I am sure that African American is better than black in the US, and they use person of colour much more than we do.

Not long ago must be different when you are 96.   I am sure I used half-caste until the 80s, not sure after that.

You sorted your schedule out yet?  Robbie tickets booked?   

Most of the bets placed so far seem more like hopeful punts rather than value spots
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 15, 2019, 11:22:14 AM »

Half-caste is offensive because it suggests that you are only half pure.  Mixed race is fine, though we had an arguement here the other day where someone suggested mixed heritage is better. 

If Tiger Woods says he is black, it is fine to call him that, but he is a very mixed bag.  People see themselves differently.  I get your point earlier, My memory is terrible, but I think when he first started playing there, it was all-white membership at Augusta.  I am pretty sure it has changed in my lifetime, which can only be a good thing.

I think Condoleezza Rice became the first lady-member(PC?) of Augusta GC, not sure if she was also the first black member or not.

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Pokerpops

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 15, 2019, 11:33:51 AM »

Hard to believe this was less than 2 years ago;

He seems to have identified himself as Black at this point.

Out of interest, what Race are you?
I’ll stick with Human I think.

"More than at any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly."
Woodsey

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 15, 2019, 05:43:56 PM »

Well I learn’t a new word as a result of the last page or two........Cablinasian

In any event, the whole thing has given me a reason to like Tiger the first time in a very long time. Yes he can actually smile and show some positive emotion, whatever happens next I’m really pleased that his kids got to see their dad being the legend he genuinely was/is  Smiley
TightEnd
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 16, 2019, 10:32:49 AM »

A very rare SI cover with no writing, reserved for very special sporting moments

Expect Nike to use the silhouette of this image widely much like they did with the Air Jordan one years ago

My eyes are open wide
By the way,I made it through the day
I watch the world outside
By the way, I'm leaving out today
Juperjiper

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 09, 2019, 06:04:50 AM »

He’s still going
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 09, 2019, 08:04:13 AM »

Who said 'drugs don't work'?
Karabiner

James Webb Telescope

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 09, 2019, 09:47:38 AM »

Who said 'drugs don't work'?

The Verve

"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated. It satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time maddening and rewarding and it is without a doubt the greatest game that mankind has ever invented." - Arnold Palmer aka The King.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: