blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:04:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272539 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Poker Forums
| |-+  Diaries and Blogs
| | |-+  Beginner PLO advice!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beginner PLO advice!!!  (Read 11174 times)
stacksaa

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2015, 08:32:32 AM »

Morning All,

Been a member on blonde for some time but never really posted.

Looking for some advice on PLO which I'm looking to start playing / studying (micro stakes).

Suppose firstly would be what site would anyone recommend? Currently play on pokerstars but is there anywhere better / softer?

Next would be training sites? Is it worth me subscribing to any just yet as I'm only playing micro stakes? Also any software that would be beneficial?

Lastly any general advice about starting to play PLO? how to study? and also moving up stakes?

Any help / advice would be great.

Cheers

Jason
Ransom

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 08:55:12 AM »

Run It Once has some decent PLO videos on 10c/25c and higher. It's $10 a month for the standard plan that includes all 'Essential' videos. For roughly £6 a month, it's a steal IMO.
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 09:05:57 AM »

Morning All,

Looking for some advice on PLO which I'm looking to start playing / studying (micro stakes).

Suppose firstly would be what site would anyone recommend? Currently play on pokerstars but is there anywhere better / softer?

Next would be training sites? Is it worth me subscribing to any just yet as I'm only playing micro stakes? Also any software that would be beneficial?

Lastly any general advice about starting to play PLO? how to study? and also moving up stakes?

Cheers

Jason

Hi Jason,

Welcome to blonde.

The answer to your first question is pretty much EVERYWHERE. Stars undoubtedly is the safest in terms of keeping your money. It has the best software of the options available to you. It has the most games. Overall it has the best security and customer support. Unfortunately its player rewards are not good which is of huge importance at the stakes you will be starting at. Secondly, the games are also overrall toughest.

I'd definitely advise trying a few of the European sites. DTD/Partypoker will be a popular fit around here given the forum is sponsored by DTD who are partnered with Party. Otherwise give ipoker/sky etc a spin and see where you do best and what you like most.

Runitonce has many good videos for PLO. At first I'd lap up all the good free information you can find on the internet. Post some hands in the Poker Hand Analysis (PHA) section of this forum and you can get some very good players giving you feedback and advice as well as some extra comments from the likes of Tikay and myself. Smiley

PHA really is a great learning resource. Given that it's free, lap it up! Whilst I don't want to direct you away from our forum, take a look at 2+2's micro stakes PLO sub section.

Invest in a HUD where you can analyse your Hands/statistics so you can identify mistakes and also your win rates. When you have a big enough sample of hands at any given limit that shows a nice win rate and your bankroll has grown enough that you can justify moving up without risking too much of your bankroll, then make the move or take a shot and if it doesn't go well, move back down. But be careful about this. If you are someone with tilt issues etc, take extra caution.

Very best of luck.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
POWWWWWWWW

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 01:06:12 PM »

Invest in Pro Poker Tools Odds Oracle. You can do tons of work with it and nearly every strat thread you come across will use it or pokerjuice (which is a lot more expensive but prettier). When I transitioned over from NL I got this, opened it up and played some micro zoom plo. Typed every hand I got into PPT to get an idea of hand strength. Think it's really useful to get an idea % wise of how strong a hand is, which allows you to develop ranges. You can do tons with it, like check how often you can stack off with hand vs opponents range in a 3bet pot, how much equity you need to do so, how often you'll realise this equity etc. You'll improve massively in a short space of time and feel a lot more comfortable when you have a good maths based foundation.
Skgv

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 11:36:16 PM »

Morning All,

Cheers

Jason

Hi Jason,

Welcome to blonde.

The answer to your first question is pretty much EVERYWHERE. Stars undoubtedly is the safest in terms of keeping your money. It has the best software of the options available to you. It has the most games. Overall it has the best security and customer support. Unfortunately its player rewards are not good which is of huge importance at the stakes you will be starting at. Secondly, the games are also overrall toughest.

I'd definitely advise trying a few of the European sites. DTD/Partypoker will be a popular fit around here given the forum is sponsored by DTD who are partnered with Party. Otherwise give ipoker/sky etc a spin and see where you do best and what you like most.

Runitonce has many good videos for PLO. At first I'd lap up all the good free information you can find on the internet. Post some hands in the Poker Hand Analysis (PHA) section of this forum and you can get some very good players giving you feedback and advice as well as some extra comments from the likes of Tikay and myself. Smiley

PHA really is a great learning resource. Given that it's free, lap it up! Whilst I don't want to direct you away from our forum, take a look at 2+2's micro stakes PLO sub section.

Invest in a HUD where you can analyse your Hands/statistics so you can identify mistakes and also your win rates. When you have a big enough sample of hands at any given limit that shows a nice win rate and your bankroll has grown enough that you can justify moving up without risking too much of your bankroll, then make the move or take a shot and if it doesn't go well, move back down. But be careful about this. If you are someone with tilt issues etc, take extra caution.

Very best of luck.
Got to be one of your best posts ! Was good to chat to you in Vegas,good luck for the future which im sure you will get as you seemed to have matured well in life !!!! Greek xxx
celtic
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 11:49:10 PM »

Pete Smiley

Keefy is back Smiley But for how long?
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 10:08:12 AM »

Hi Jason,

Welcome to blonde.

Very best of luck.

Great post, really great.

Not much to add but a few things I would really stress are;

1. Don't play many tables, such a huge, very common mistake I see inexperienced omaha players makes, they play too many tables and as a result are not watching/taking in/learning from anything they see they are just racing themselves to click buttons as fast as they can. Remember this is a learning and developing time, don't let rake-back or bonuses or anything tempt you into mass-tabling, play 1 or 2 tables MAXimum and just really watch what is happening, when hands you're not participating in get to showdown look at them, how did X, or Y player play this hand, analyse it yourself there and then, it's a great way to keep yourself sharp and focused. Like cos said when you use PHA, it doesn't have to be your hand you post!

2. Pick the right stakes, as you're not going to be multi-tabling hard (I hope!!) you don't need a huge amount of buyins and it's defo best to start with small deposits and try to run them up, that way you don't feel any financial pressure on the money, "No I'm down to 80 from 300 if I don't win it back then XXX" as any thoughts/fears like this will just cause you huge deflection of focus away from the play which is where 100% of our focus should be. My advice would be to pick stakes where you are completely financially comfortable playing (basically could you lose 15 buyins at this level and be completely unaffected in your way of living etc) I would say though try to pick a level where the money does have a little meaning, so you avoid ever thinking "well it's only £15" or whatever, and you get a lil run in your stomach when you win a big pot, as this is a great part of the game - we're not robots after all.

Once you've picked your stakes I'd start off by depositing 400 big blinds for that stake (4x buyins) and kick off with one table,  obviously the risk of losing this deposit in its entirety is pretty high, so be prepared for that, and be ready and willing to deposit another 4 if it happens. Running a decent bankroll up from tiny investment is a great feeling for morale, and excellent when you are starting out.

3. Take notes, as you're watching, write stuff down, if you can invest in a tracker like Holdem manager or pokertacker they have a feature which is "mark hand" which makes going back to look at hands very easy. Writing stuff down though to look at after the session is a great way to improve, write anything down, "when I open in the cut-off I get 3bet a lot" "I seem to be losing with low run-downs" "was it right to get all-in with just a flush draw in XXX hand" whereas the notes themselves might not be amazing quality(!) the practice of always looking at everything, and then immediately noting it is a really really good one to be in as it really holds your focus.

4. Makes notes on players, when you see them do something bad - note it, good - note it. Something that is a clear indication of their style of play - note it. Even basic notes "Good player, very aggressive" might come in useful later.

5. MOST IMPORTANT - Enjoy playing, don't play because you "need to get X hours in and make $X" play because it's fun and you're enjoying learning. SO many people I see starting out in poker or a new typeof poker and they just bludgeon all the enjoyment out of it with pressure and expectation. The reality of what you're about to do is this, you're starting to play a game you are inexperienced in, in games where the rake structure is very high and against people who are likely more experienced playing than yourself. When you first take your seat you're unlikely to be in a position of expected profit, it's a really fun, interesting game OMAHA, so play, enjoy playing, enjoy learning about it, really focus and watch the action and you'll give yourself a great chance to really improve - but make sure you have fun doing so!

Very best of luck, keep us posted with how it goes and get some hands fired into PHA.

David

strak33

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 10:25:04 AM »

At this point the only advice that can be given is to read the posts by Cos and Dave again. Then read them again slowly. Then print them out and read them each day.

Well done both.
stacksaa

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 02:15:21 PM »

Hi All,

Firstly thanks for all the advice it's very very helpful, will be sure to revert back to this thread and keep all of it fresh in my mind.

So I've invested in RIO which is a steal at £6/month as there is so much information / videos and the hand analysis is also very interesting and helpful. It also has very good material regarding the use of poker juice which I have invested in which seems like a great tool, just need to work out how to use it to its full potential!!

Will be spending tonight setting up HUD for PLO and making sure I've got all that working correctly.

Decided to open up an account on bet365 where I've never played before traffic seems ok just need to keep my money of the sports book when the footie season kicks off.. Going to 2 table PLO10 at the start I've been use to 10 tabling NL so 2 should be ok if I don't feel I'm taking everything in, taking notes effectively and concentrating will drop to 1 tabling for the time being, what is the reasoning with sitting 400bb deep I have been sitting 100bb deep with auto top up?

Won't be putting in a full session until Saturday evening as I'm heading down to Brighton Friday for golf and a night out.  Will play a full session Saturday and Sunday and be sure to update here and will post some hands I found interesting which you can all flame away on!!

Going to really concentrate on opening ranges and position as it seems a lot of people play to tight and passive pre flop not sure if that the case in the stakes I'm playing?

Anyway thanks again for the advice.

Jason
SuuPRlim

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 03:55:48 PM »

Sorry I didn't mean buyin to the table for 400 big blinds, I meant kick off your bankroll in the site with 400bb for the game you're going to play, spinning up from small money when you are learning is easily the best way to go,as long as you're prepared to invest some more money as risk of busting is pretty high.

You might even wanna think about starting off with 50big blind buyins... see how you feel.

stacksaa

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 04:28:06 PM »

Ok got ya..

Happy with 100bb and auto top up.. Starting at PLO10 is going to be okay as I have the bankroll to accommodate the risk / downswings whilst I'm learning.

Cheers for confirming and good luck with the blog will be a good read!
Skgv

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 12:05:00 AM »

Pete Smiley
CELTIC 
stacksaa

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 12:29:23 AM »

Evening all..

So played a small session tonight started grinding PLO10 then jumped onto PLO20 table just to try and spin up and see what the standard was like, was playing pretty well / comfortable until the below happened!! Guess I couldn't really get away from the hand..

Anyway was just a small session to make sure hud and all table settings were ok.

Real grind starts on Saturday where I will post some more interesting spots / hands after the session.

Golf tomorrow hopefully can shoot another sub 82 round will post score card depending on how it looks!! Then its a night out on the town.

IPoker, $0.10/$0.20 Pot Limit Omaha Cash, 6 Players
Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $20 (100 bb)
BB: $35.03 (175.2 bb)
UTG: $7.73 (38.7 bb)
MP: $14.32 (71.6 bb)
CO: $22.41 (112.1 bb)
Hero (BTN): $22.23 (111.2 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with
2 folds, CO raises to $0.70, Hero calls $0.70, 2 folds

Flop: ($1.70) two spades (2 players)
CO bets $1.19, Hero calls $1.19

Turn: ($4.08) (2 players)
CO bets $3.26, Hero raises to $7.40, CO raises to $20.52 and is all-in, Hero calls $12.94 and is all-in

River: ($44.76) (2 players, 2 are all-in)

Results: $44.76 pot ($2.23 rake)
Final Board: two spades
CO showed  and won $42.53 ($20.30 net)
Hero mucked and lost (-$22.23 net)

Think this is pretty standard the only a small number of hands on villan but he was playing circa 75% of pots from the time I was on the table.

Cheers

Jason

Honeybadger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 12:47:20 AM »

Isn't this just a turn call rather than a turn raise?
stacksaa

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 01:00:15 AM »

What would be the reason behind a turn call? I've really been struggling to put people on hands since playing as they all seem to play so loose. I saw him over playing over pairs previously and also sets on the turn i put him on KK/QQ/JJ hands and maybe two pair? Is there an argument for 3betting pre? I flat called as I was in position and could disguise the strength of my hand?

Sorry if I'm being stupid just starting to learn the game so any comments are appreciated. Thought this was a standard spot / bad beat but maybe I'm wrong!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: