blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:31:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272537 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 142 143 [144] 145 146 147 148 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 533913 times)
sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #2145 on: May 20, 2017, 07:11:50 PM »

I didn't do squats this time. I coundnt get on & just stuck to the leg press.

Is using the smith machine a bad idea?

In my opinion, yes. My default if the squat racks were taken would be to hit the leg press. The smith machine takes away the need to engage your stabiliser muscles in the hips and core, and will force you to develop an unusual (unnatural) movement pattern. The leg press doesn't try to mimic the movement pattern of a squat, so while it's definitely an inferior movement and one that I would advocate as an accessory movement rather than a replacement, you won't develop "incorrect" motor functions.

If you are comfortable in your squat, then you can start adding in smith machine squats for accessory to encourage hypertrophy in the quads and glutes.

Almost 2 years later & i can squat properly, granted not very high weights but i can do them without feeling like my hamstrings are going to snap.

Thank you for the advice, i don't post much anymore but i do pop by now & again to see how the strong men are doing.

Smiley

In the category of Funniest Poster I nominate sovietsong. - mantis 21/12/2012
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: May 21, 2017, 03:09:32 PM »

Only got a few sessions in this week as I went down to the O2 to watch the darts and only came back late last night.

Obviously food and calories were rather high but hoping for a very lively few sessions next week.

Did get 160 for 2x5 last week. Feel like I might be pushing the 3x pain free.

Still no real desire to back squat, but quite fancy some heavy fronts next week.

Also looking to bring some OHP back in too.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: May 21, 2017, 03:10:11 PM »

Hows food going in general?

Food's always pretty decent but I'm not counting at all.

I've cut back a little bit so I imagine I've lost a few kilos. I don't eat as much on non-training days so as I've had my laziest week for ages (zero training!!) I've not eaten too much this week.

Everything is pretty healthy stuff, plenty of fruit, veg, lean meat, wholegrain rice/pasta, that kind of thing.

I really don't have the inclination to be as strict with diet as I used to be. It's such a massive chore and the results however amazing are only ever temporary unless you want to be a slave to calories for the rest of your life.

Similar mindset, no real incline to diet to strictly right now. But trying to keep in and around 90-95 KG for the rest of the year.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: May 21, 2017, 03:11:01 PM »

Bit worried about bench today as my shoulder, arm, elbow and wrist were really giving me some stick when I woke up yesterday. Not sure if I slept a bit funny but I was really struggling. I skipped training making it a full 5 days off but I did loads of stretching and mobility stuff which by bed time made it all feel reasonable again.

Still a bit worried today but it felt okay and thankfully the session went really well. DB press up to 40kg for 10 as a warm up then in to the programme:

6 x 4 @ 105kg
3 x 3 @ 120kg with the slingshot.

Managed everything with a bit left in the tank but it's a really long hard session getting 9 sets in especially as the breaks need to be 3 minutes or so to recover. Finished off with a few accessory movements to make it a really good workout.

Much lower on the volume next week but also a lot heavier, just doubles and singles but 120kg and 127.5kg

Feeling very confident for a good shot at a PR in 2 or 3 weeks Smiley

Everything other than chest is going pretty terribly. Squats and DL are just meh. Will keep working at them in the hope that my hip eventually allows something good to happen but it's going to be a long game getting there. Currently working on some flexibility and mobility stuff to see where that leads.

Fingers crossed that things get better but I'm happy to focus on bench and le t the lower stuff catch up in the future.

Are pressing levels at all time high now?

Seems some huge numbers going through there.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: May 21, 2017, 04:22:34 PM »

Bit worried about bench today as my shoulder, arm, elbow and wrist were really giving me some stick when I woke up yesterday. Not sure if I slept a bit funny but I was really struggling. I skipped training making it a full 5 days off but I did loads of stretching and mobility stuff which by bed time made it all feel reasonable again.

Still a bit worried today but it felt okay and thankfully the session went really well. DB press up to 40kg for 10 as a warm up then in to the programme:

6 x 4 @ 105kg
3 x 3 @ 120kg with the slingshot.

Managed everything with a bit left in the tank but it's a really long hard session getting 9 sets in especially as the breaks need to be 3 minutes or so to recover. Finished off with a few accessory movements to make it a really good workout.

Much lower on the volume next week but also a lot heavier, just doubles and singles but 120kg and 127.5kg

Feeling very confident for a good shot at a PR in 2 or 3 weeks Smiley

Everything other than chest is going pretty terribly. Squats and DL are just meh. Will keep working at them in the hope that my hip eventually allows something good to happen but it's going to be a long game getting there. Currently working on some flexibility and mobility stuff to see where that leads.

Fingers crossed that things get better but I'm happy to focus on bench and le t the lower stuff catch up in the future.

Are pressing levels at all time high now?

Seems some huge numbers going through there.

Heaviest all time but not if you take volume in to account. I'm pretty sure I used to do 4 x 10 @ 100kg without too much trouble but I doubt I could do that quite so easily now. I think 140kg would move really easily right now and 145kg should be there.

Reasonable squat and DL today which I was pleased about. Only squatted up to 80kg for 3 x 5 but with no pain. I'm trying to focus on glute activation to get some assistance there and take a bit away from the hips.

DL went 100 x 3, 120 x 3, 140 x 2 and a couple of 160 singles.

Grip struggled a bit at 160kg although it was a pretty shit bar which didn't help. I think 160 is a PR and it moved pretty easily. Might try something around 180kg or so on test day but will need to go back to hook grip in the lead up. Expecting 200 from you of course.....

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: May 22, 2017, 08:12:53 PM »

Hows food going in general?

Food's always pretty decent but I'm not counting at all.

I've cut back a little bit so I imagine I've lost a few kilos. I don't eat as much on non-training days so as I've had my laziest week for ages (zero training!!) I've not eaten too much this week.

Everything is pretty healthy stuff, plenty of fruit, veg, lean meat, wholegrain rice/pasta, that kind of thing.

I really don't have the inclination to be as strict with diet as I used to be. It's such a massive chore and the results however amazing are only ever temporary unless you want to be a slave to calories for the rest of your life.

Similar mindset, no real incline to diet to strictly right now. But trying to keep in and around 90-95 KG for the rest of the year.

Another on this bus.

~230g protein and 2000 calories.

I'm in pre holiday depression Cheesy

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: May 27, 2017, 04:01:19 PM »

Another crappy week for me not making it a single day Monday to Friday. Don't know what's wrong but when my alarm goes off I just can't be arsed to move. Need to get out of this quick, it's not affecting me at the moment but I need to get some weekday training in before long.

My shoulder's been a bit funky the last few days so I didn't know how bench would go today but it was actually really good. Usual warm up with some bicep and shoulders work then DB press superset with lat activation.

Programme was 3 x 2 at 120kg which I managed reasonably well. It wasn't moving brilliantly so I got a spotter for the third set and put in an extra long pause. There was plenty left on the tank on that final set so that was good.

Slingshot sets were just singles. Supposed to be at 127.5kg but I went 130kg, 132.5kg and 135kg

135kg was a bit tricky un-racking on my own. Might need to consider a spotter more often if progress continues.

Feel ready for a PR attempt now. Either next weekend or the one after works for me. Weekend after may be better as I'm struggling a bit with my hip at the moment so my squat and DL won't be up to much. Extra week might help me get that right again.

Talking of squats, some fella in the corner smashing 5 plates for doubles without a spotter then 5.5 with a guy behind him. Steady 230kg..... Didn't look a huge guy at all, perhaps slightly bigger build than me but not hugely. Scary strong. Pretty sure that's the most weight I've ever seen squatted in real life. Just doesn't seem right when you see it happen. How the fuck!?!?!

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: May 27, 2017, 08:25:04 PM »

I have no problem getting to the gym, but struggle when it's time to stop putting food into my gob Cheesy

Good numbers if you're having a niggly time of things, though.

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: May 29, 2017, 09:27:46 AM »

I have no problem getting to the gym, but struggle when it's time to stop putting food into my gob Cheesy

Good numbers if you're having a niggly time of things, though.

haha, don't we all
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: May 29, 2017, 09:28:56 AM »

Another crappy week for me not making it a single day Monday to Friday. Don't know what's wrong but when my alarm goes off I just can't be arsed to move. Need to get out of this quick, it's not affecting me at the moment but I need to get some weekday training in before long.

My shoulder's been a bit funky the last few days so I didn't know how bench would go today but it was actually really good. Usual warm up with some bicep and shoulders work then DB press superset with lat activation.

Programme was 3 x 2 at 120kg which I managed reasonably well. It wasn't moving brilliantly so I got a spotter for the third set and put in an extra long pause. There was plenty left on the tank on that final set so that was good.

Slingshot sets were just singles. Supposed to be at 127.5kg but I went 130kg, 132.5kg and 135kg

135kg was a bit tricky un-racking on my own. Might need to consider a spotter more often if progress continues.

Feel ready for a PR attempt now. Either next weekend or the one after works for me. Weekend after may be better as I'm struggling a bit with my hip at the moment so my squat and DL won't be up to much. Extra week might help me get that right again.

Talking of squats, some fella in the corner smashing 5 plates for doubles without a spotter then 5.5 with a guy behind him. Steady 230kg..... Didn't look a huge guy at all, perhaps slightly bigger build than me but not hugely. Scary strong. Pretty sure that's the most weight I've ever seen squatted in real life. Just doesn't seem right when you see it happen. How the fuck!?!?!

Still some big numbers.

5 plates is huge, I know Sean said a few guys at his old gym did similar. I think I have only ever seen 160 for 5 in the flesh. Seen a few guys smack on 200 but not even bend their knees.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: May 29, 2017, 09:32:05 AM »

Training has been going good on the whole. No huge numbers to talk about, definitely working up in either a rep a week or 1.25 a week.

Two hottest days last week fell on legs which was annoying. Didn't really think and should have swapped it as it was really draining.

Have a busy few weeks coming up, so I might try a month of full body 3-4 times a week, then if I can get in for a 5th do some accessory work.

Can't remember where I posted it but I am sure I did on here, great prediction by me about Eddie's chances in WSM.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: May 30, 2017, 12:27:27 AM »

Amazing stuff by Eddie. Managed to avoid the spoilers for about 4 minutes I think Cheesy

I thought similar after seeing him last year doing really well with a messed up hand. Couple of events really got affected by it and still he was close.

Will be interesting to see the full event at Christmas time. I saw an excerpt where big Z was really struggling with the OHP. Got to be a huge benefit to Eddie when big Z isn't taking points off him in the static overhead events.

There's a pretty good chance that this has saved his life as well. I heard that he announced his retirement immediately afterwards. Weighing in at 400+ this time round I believe!!!

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: May 30, 2017, 12:41:13 AM »

Completely fried my lower back and hips yesterday training lower. Squats went nicely up to 80kg for 5. I was focussing really hard on form trying to figure out what exactly I do that makes my hips hurt. Possibly something to do with slight internal rotation of the knees so I made sure they kept pointing in the same direction.

Deadlifts were okay but not amazing. Went up to 140kg for a double but the form felt awful. Everything was tight but I felt my body swing forward when I started to pull. presumably the bar was too far from my shins? Anyway I switched to light paused to try to rectify that and it helped. Got some good reps out and felt a good glute/ham squeeze. Did a few leg extensions and leg curls as finishers and then later on felt absolutely fucked!!

Went in today for an upper session and didn't do my back any favours. 5 x 5 on DB press up to 50kg and had to get belted up as it was starting to hurt a bit. Probably should have cut the session short but did some really light (just the bar) BoR with a really strong contraction. They felt incredible and I might have to do them again. I did same grip width as my bench press with the idea being it helps you pull the bar in before you explode in to the press.

I think I may have surpassed my previous strength levels for chest. 50kg for 5 felt really easy today even though I was a bit below my best. Pretty sure I could get 10 to 12 if I wanted to and on a good day might manage 55kg. Happy times Smiley

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: May 31, 2017, 03:08:37 PM »

Amazing stuff by Eddie. Managed to avoid the spoilers for about 4 minutes I think Cheesy

I thought similar after seeing him last year doing really well with a messed up hand. Couple of events really got affected by it and still he was close.

Will be interesting to see the full event at Christmas time. I saw an excerpt where big Z was really struggling with the OHP. Got to be a huge benefit to Eddie when big Z isn't taking points off him in the static overhead events.

There's a pretty good chance that this has saved his life as well. I heard that he announced his retirement immediately afterwards. Weighing in at 400+ this time round I believe!!!

Mental result, still can't believe he did it. I don't think big Z was at full flow, on recently put the weight back on. Surprised with Shaw, injured maybe? Heard there was a point between Eddie and Thor.
I think all the top three come in at 400 plus.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: May 31, 2017, 03:09:33 PM »

Completely fried my lower back and hips yesterday training lower. Squats went nicely up to 80kg for 5. I was focussing really hard on form trying to figure out what exactly I do that makes my hips hurt. Possibly something to do with slight internal rotation of the knees so I made sure they kept pointing in the same direction.

Deadlifts were okay but not amazing. Went up to 140kg for a double but the form felt awful. Everything was tight but I felt my body swing forward when I started to pull. presumably the bar was too far from my shins? Anyway I switched to light paused to try to rectify that and it helped. Got some good reps out and felt a good glute/ham squeeze. Did a few leg extensions and leg curls as finishers and then later on felt absolutely fucked!!

Went in today for an upper session and didn't do my back any favours. 5 x 5 on DB press up to 50kg and had to get belted up as it was starting to hurt a bit. Probably should have cut the session short but did some really light (just the bar) BoR with a really strong contraction. They felt incredible and I might have to do them again. I did same grip width as my bench press with the idea being it helps you pull the bar in before you explode in to the press.

I think I may have surpassed my previous strength levels for chest. 50kg for 5 felt really easy today even though I was a bit below my best. Pretty sure I could get 10 to 12 if I wanted to and on a good day might manage 55kg. Happy times Smiley

Some good numbers coming there.
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 142 143 [144] 145 146 147 148 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: