blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:59:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 260 261 [262] 263 264 265 266 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 535755 times)
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #3915 on: April 22, 2021, 04:16:43 PM »

Nice little bench routine during the week at the moment doing 3 x 5 @ 120 to maintain strength then dropping to 100 and doing a complete failure max reps set for some nice hypertrophy and conditioning.

I managed to get a spotter today so I could really push it and just managed to squeeze out 19..... Zero chance an attempt at a 20th would've even left my chest so I know it was a max effort.

Might push it a bit heavier on Saturday if I feel good as I'll be with my mate but I'm more than happy at my current weight.

Everything else going well but my hip is completely f**ked to the point I can't do an RDL even just with a 15kg bar. Starting to think I need to get this looked at by a consultant of some kind as I have a feeling it's more than a simple physio fix. I can work around it by doing leg extension and leg curl but and kind of press doesn't feel like it's doing me any favours.

They have a glute ham raise at the gym now which is great as it means I can train hamstrings without needing to bend at the hips. Only problem is I can't even do a full rep of the lowering phase never mind get myself back up Cheesy

It's a tad embarrassing but I'm going to stick with them and see if I can get a full rep at some point then just work from there. It really shows how weak my hamstrings are that's for sure. No wonder my deadlift is so poor even when fully fit......

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3916 on: April 26, 2021, 08:57:48 PM »

First session back this afternoon, and it doesn't half take a bloody long time on my own Cheesy

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #3917 on: April 27, 2021, 08:05:48 AM »

First session back this afternoon, and it doesn't half take a bloody long time on my own Cheesy

PT gone for good now?

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3918 on: April 27, 2021, 02:27:48 PM »

PT gone for good now?

He's still working on the scaffolding, as it's a regular wage.

I'm the only one that wants to train 4x a week, others want one day or not bothering.

They're open 24 hours now, so it's nice and quiet in the afternoon.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #3919 on: May 01, 2021, 09:45:48 PM »

3rd week back and I'm slowly starting to see the bench improvements.

Just training bench twice per week now but dropped a few sets in at 130kg last week and then a 140kg today.

I un-racked myself and did two solid reps which is a gym PR and first time I've ever managed or even attempted a double at three plates.

Felt like 3 reps would've been possible with my mate hovering close by but I had no intention of going all out so the double is great.

I'll be sticking to sets of 5 for the most part which should be up to 130kg pretty soon. I've done 4 a few times now and the gym set up is starting to feel more normal after the long spell on the home bench.

Posterior chain work is going really well and I'm doing GHR 4 times per week to try to strengthen my hamstrings. I can finally do a rep on my own but have been sets of 5 with a band for assistance to help build up. First few sessions I was getting insta cramps but I'm feeling much better now so that's clearly working.

All in all loving being back Smiley

Hope everyone else doing okay.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3920 on: May 01, 2021, 10:11:25 PM »

Nice going, mate!

I did three sessions first week back, and just had 2nd jab yesterday, so didn't train.

No sides from this one, which is a result, as the first laid me up for nearly 2 days.

Glad to be back at it, and nice in the afternoons when I go.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #3921 on: May 01, 2021, 10:19:08 PM »

Nice going, mate!

I did three sessions first week back, and just had 2nd jab yesterday, so didn't train.

No sides from this one, which is a result, as the first laid me up for nearly 2 days.

Nice work mate. Biggest hurdle is definitely week one so you should be able to get in to a routine.

Always helps when it's quiet. My place seems really busy pretty much all day but I'm hoping it quietens down once the novelty of it being refurbished wears off.

Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3922 on: May 01, 2021, 10:46:32 PM »

Nice going, mate!

Nice work mate. Biggest hurdle is definitely week one so you should be able to get in to a routine.

Always helps when it's quiet. My place seems really busy pretty much all day but I'm hoping it quietens down once the novelty of it being refurbished wears off.

Yeah, especially as it's the first time I've trained alone in a gym since 2011.

I am normally out before 4pm, which is when ppl slipping off work early all arrive.

They're 24 hours as well, so now have a load of ppl coming in before 8am, which is normally a few hours after I've gone to bed Cheesy

the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #3923 on: May 04, 2021, 03:39:59 PM »

Its a tough road back..

As expected its a real struggle first few weeks back and ive had some what i consider pitiful times and performances.. but am carrying extra timber so thats not helping.

Ive completed 14 sessions in the last 3 weeks.. 5 with the PT. We are working on my olympic lifts..snatches..cleans..squat cleans..deadlifts etc.. currently its volume with light weight.

Alongside this is rebuilding the aerobic engine..and we are doing more pacing work rather than flat out meaning long sweat inducing work.. one example is a run and row combo where you complete as many rounds of 500m row 400m run in twenty minutes.

First week was a set of 20 min ..10 min break then another set of 20 mins.. second week was the same but 8 min rest..3rd week was 3 sets and 8 min rest..this week its going to be 3 sets but 6 min rest..thats an hour of continous go but pacing rather than as fast as possible (not that you could as you would be done before the first set was over) it shows how quick you can improve as my averages week 3 are already better than week 1 and 2 despite the extra 20 minutes

managed to tweek my back and knee though.. but seemed to be holding up... i can always hide behind the age excuse Smiley

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
Ledders

View Profile
« Reply #3924 on: May 21, 2021, 08:11:18 PM »

How's everyone getting on? I've been bro'ing around not on a programme as I keep getting a twinge whenever bench gets above warm-up weight - everything else is fine so just lol'ing about. Squat is heading in the right direction finally - sent 110kg for some triples this week.

Creatine is having a massive effect in giving a boost. +4kg in a month!

Looking to invest circa £50 in my first ever proper lifting gear and wondering what should I go for first - shoes, belt, straps or something else?
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #3925 on: May 22, 2021, 01:04:25 AM »

I've been doing alright, and training pretty consistently since the gyms opened again.

Pain in the ass on my own, but the gym owner's wife said I can just leave the weights, and she'll tidy up after me which helps immensely.

Weighed in at 14 stone dead on Thursday, which is the lightest I've been since 2018, and nearly 3 stone lighter than last summer.

Just going to keep pottering along and see if I can maintain while getting my strength up.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #3926 on: May 22, 2021, 07:26:09 PM »

Tough couple of weeks for me feeling really weak. I've managed to get 120kg on the bar for my benching but it's felt ridiculously heavy.

I've had a couple of steady weeks just training 3 times instead of the usual 5 per week and it seems to have helped as I felt much better today.

Didn't go above 120kg but managed 6, 6 and 8 which is PR territory for that sort of weight so very encouraging.

I think part of the problem has been lack of sleep. I had a few stupid nights staying up 'til 2am and getting up at 5.30am for work which didn't help and also the few times I got to bed a bit earlier I wasn't sleeping well. Seems better recently so that is probably the main reason for getting my strength back.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #3927 on: May 22, 2021, 07:38:34 PM »

How's everyone getting on? I've been bro'ing around not on a programme as I keep getting a twinge whenever bench gets above warm-up weight - everything else is fine so just lol'ing about. Squat is heading in the right direction finally - sent 110kg for some triples this week.

Creatine is having a massive effect in giving a boost. +4kg in a month!

Looking to invest circa £50 in my first ever proper lifting gear and wondering what should I go for first - shoes, belt, straps or something else?

Nothing wrong with just winging it every now and then whilst you decide on a proper goal. It's not optimal of course but the main thing is that you're there.

Where's your twinge when you're benching? Might be able to offer a bit of advice with a bit more detail as I think I've had every twinge in the book at one time or another Cheesy

Nice work on the squat, definitely seems like that's your best lift. Are you squatting multiple times per week?

Definitely not straps until you're lifting some serious weight. Hanging on for dear life will work your grip whilst you're still lifting relatively light weights. If you're only ever bothered about hypertrophy over strength then they're fine but you really need your grip to be working whilst you're a beginner.

A belt has a place but again it's going to stop you strengthening your body's own natural 'belt'. I'd only get a belt when you feel like your back is a potential limiting factor in your lifts.

I would think you'd get a good benefit from some squat shoes especially if that's your favourite lift. Do you find that ankle mobility is an issue with reaching depth? If you do then an elevated heel would be great. If you're really flexible then something with just a very slight elevation would still give a huge benefit. The difference with squat shoes is massive, you'll just feel so much more solid when you're squatting.

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #3928 on: May 22, 2021, 09:49:03 PM »

Out of your options i would suggest knee/elbow sleeves are more important than anything purely for injury prevention.   If you are just a relatively casual trainer then protecting those two joints long term have massively made my training easier over the past 3/4 years as you age.  6 weeks back after lockdown i am getting back to modern day max's on most lifts but i put on chunks of weight during the last year in lockdown.   Back down to 126kg from a peak of 140kg in October 2020.   I just can't diet properly if i am not training i just blow up.   I was 124kg at the start of covid last March fwiw.   My 140kg side on mirror picture is a huge motivator! 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 09:54:43 PM by arbboy » Logged
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #3929 on: May 22, 2021, 10:31:02 PM »

Training at my age (late 40s) without sauna/steam rooms/bubbles makes it so much harder to recover.  This week since they re opened i have felt a big difference recovery wise.  The last 15 months have been a total write off training wise.   Wish i had matt's private basic lifting set up in his house just to stay level weight wise and motivated.
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 260 261 [262] 263 264 265 266 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: