blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:08:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272596 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 276 277 [278] 279 280 281 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 535161 times)
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #4155 on: February 27, 2022, 07:19:49 PM »

Did 3 sets of 4 with 44kg duumbells today unspotted which felt great.    Going to get the 50kg out next week and try and do one rep!

How's this going?

I managed to hit double figures at last with the 50s for the first tie in ages.

Pretty disappointed now that they don't go any higher at my place. They had 54s before they changed from x4l to JD Gyms and I'd definitely be giving them a shot now.

Managed to get 3x8 at 46, unsure if I can get to double figures onto 50s this year, but its on the agenda.

That's crazy strong mate. I was saying to Arby earlier in the thread what a huge step it is jumping from 44 to 50 and obviously it's the same issue for you. An extra 4kg doesn't seem much but it's like trying to add 10kg to your bench which doesn't just happen.

Little bench PR for me yesterday with 142.5kg for a paused double.

2 weeks to go 'til 1RM PR attempt and hoping to crack the 150kg. Temptation is to push a bit higher if I can but the sensible me thinks keep it manageable, don't risk failing and just add 2.5kg every 16 weeks.....

My current programme has improved my strength enormously hitting multiple rep PRs without once risking failing a rep.

I've stayed injury free and just made nice steady progress so really need to stay sensible and stick at what I'm doing.

Easier said than done of course if I think there's a chance of hitting 155 Cheesy

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #4156 on: February 28, 2022, 09:18:50 AM »

For sure, 44 actually felt quite manageable, I ended up with two sets of ten after the first set, but then 46 was very very difficult, real grinders on every last rep. Pressing has got a lot better the last few months, I think this is the first time in a very long time its been a major focus.

Huge pause double as well there!!

Is OHP in for you?
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #4157 on: March 01, 2022, 02:25:35 PM »

For sure, 44 actually felt quite manageable, I ended up with two sets of ten after the first set, but then 46 was very very difficult, real grinders on every last rep. Pressing has got a lot better the last few months, I think this is the first time in a very long time its been a major focus.

Is OHP in for you?

I'm avoiding anything that puts stress on my lower back so OHP is out as are squats, dead lifts and any bent over rowing movement.

I'm doing seated DB press with 40kg which I can get a comfortable but taxing 8 to 10 reps. No real interest in going heavier due to the injury risk swinging them in to place.

Pretty much everything is hypertrophy based at the moment which is working really well for staying injury free.

Obviously pushing the strength a bit with bench but I always keep a little bit in the tank and haven't failed a rep for a few months. I'm hoping I can maintain discipline on PR day and just take a 2.5kg jump. I can realistically get to 160kg in just over a year with my current programme so there's really no need to do more.

I'd take 5 at 140 over 1 at 160 any day that's for sure.

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #4158 on: March 01, 2022, 05:42:52 PM »

Is OHP in for you?

I'm avoiding anything that puts stress on my lower back so OHP is out as are squats, dead lifts and any bent over rowing movement.

I'm doing seated DB press with 40kg which I can get a comfortable but taxing 8 to 10 reps. No real interest in going heavier due to the injury risk swinging them in to place.

Pretty much everything is hypertrophy based at the moment which is working really well for staying injury free.

Obviously pushing the strength a bit with bench but I always keep a little bit in the tank and haven't failed a rep for a few months. I'm hoping I can maintain discipline on PR day and just take a 2.5kg jump. I can realistically get to 160kg in just over a year with my current programme so there's really no need to do more.

40kg shoulders is a little nuts!
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #4159 on: March 01, 2022, 06:07:50 PM »

Is OHP in for you?

I did an insane amount of heavy triceps volume at home through lockdown and the carry over to bench and DB incline and press has been immense.

If you want to improve your pressing then work your triceps. Not that stupid push down and kick back nonsense. Whack a load of weight on a barbell and smash out a load of narrow grip bench press. It's been revolutionary for me.

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #4160 on: March 02, 2022, 08:37:08 PM »

Is OHP in for you?

I did an insane amount of heavy triceps volume at home through lockdown and the carry over to bench and DB incline and press has been immense.

If you want to improve your pressing then work your triceps. Not that stupid push down and kick back nonsense. Whack a load of weight on a barbell and smash out a load of narrow grip bench press. It's been revolutionary for me.

I actually have to move to this as the cables dont go high enough for any tricep work unless I go singles which just takes too long at the end. Really enjoying training the last week or so. i haven't DL'd this year yet, so keen to put that make in over the next few months, but in no major rush. At the minute the most important thing is probably just building up better capacity and an engine. Someone clapped when I finished the ski erg today and never have I felt so taunted. I think they were being nice but it was a very average display.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #4161 on: March 04, 2022, 01:38:25 PM »

Is OHP in for you?

I actually have to move to this as the cables dont go high enough for any tricep work unless I go singles which just takes too long at the end. Really enjoying training the last week or so. i haven't DL'd this year yet, so keen to put that make in over the next few months, but in no major rush. At the minute the most important thing is probably just building up better capacity and an engine. Someone clapped when I finished the ski erg today and never have I felt so taunted. I think they were being nice but it was a very average display.

They have a pushdown machine at my gym that I can literally swing off. Not exaggerating when I say I doubt even Julius Maddox could done a rep on it with the full stack.

It has the same weight plates as the seat lat pull down and I can just about manage 1/3 of the stack on that with decent form.

Anyway yes definitely get on the narrow grip pressing. After your benching drop 20kg off and smash out 3 quick sets of 8-12. Great for the wrist, forearms and of course triceps.

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #4162 on: March 04, 2022, 02:31:12 PM »

Im overhead dumbbell pressing 50kg now for triceps and doing 50kg on EZ bar for skull crushers for reps as well.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #4163 on: March 04, 2022, 03:09:12 PM »

Im overhead dumbbell pressing 50kg now for triceps and doing 50kg on EZ bar for skull crushers for reps as well.

Love the overhead DB press but haven't done them for years due to the dodgy shoulder.

I do a variation of them using a rope which is really good for getting a full stretch and contraction but not as much fun as lumping the 50s about Cheesy

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #4164 on: March 05, 2022, 07:22:09 PM »

Final week before the 1RM attempt and hit another rep PR with 135kg for 4

Last run through of the programme my final 4 weeks were:

130kg x 3
140kg x 2
125kg x 4
147.5kg x 1 (failed 150kg twice.....)

This time:

140kg x 3
142.5kg x 2
135kg x 4
?? x 1

Honestly don't think I've ever felt as strong on bench so there's no excuse and I'm really looking forward to it.

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #4165 on: March 07, 2022, 11:33:38 AM »

130kg x 3
140kg x 2
125kg x 4

This time:

140kg x 3
142.5kg x 2
135kg x 4
?? x 1

Honestly don't think I've ever felt as strong on bench so there's no excuse and I'm really looking forward to it.

Some big big numbers
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #4166 on: March 07, 2022, 04:29:03 PM »

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxing/martyn-ford-weight-iranian-hulk-26401941?fbclid=IwAR23Yp7EdqIdvqwO1UojuHEsz7t8kCDqhlVfYqOc9mVswAC3Zn1-wIFlZbs

Matt after bench day
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #4167 on: March 15, 2022, 09:31:05 PM »

130kg x 3
140kg x 2
125kg x 4

This time:

140kg x 3
142.5kg x 2
135kg x 4
?? x 1

So PR day went really well on Saturday after what I have to class as a perfect build up. Programme was one of the best I've followed and I've gone about 4 months without missing a bench session or having an injury.

Target was just to beat my previous PR which was 147.5kg

I think I planned my warm ups just right at 100, 112.5, 122.5, 132.5, 142.5 then the 150

Anyway it went up really easy so I ended up trying 155kg as well and somehow managed to hit that too for a 7.5kg PR on the day.

I was absolutely buzzing and feeling confident so tried 160kg but only got that half way. Even though I didn't get it 3.5 plates looks f**king cool on the bar so who cares. Feels like it may be possible next time with similar quality build up.

As an added bonus I weighed in at 103kg in the morning so finally cracked the 1.5x BW bench that I've been after for years.

Back to normality now with a couple of semi rest weeks (forced by GC day on Friday) then back to the programme for another run through.

arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #4168 on: March 16, 2022, 01:56:56 PM »

Amazing work Matt so pleased for you.  Your prep and build up suggested something massive was in the tank.   It's great looking at 3 plates + on the bench.  Sadly i have never troubled the judges in that dep (and never will)!
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #4169 on: March 16, 2022, 07:51:35 PM »

Awesome Matt, crazy that 150kg felt easy.
Nearly as impressive for me is you staying pretty much injury free throughout the programme.
Looking forward to you getting 160kg
Pages: 1 ... 274 275 276 277 [278] 279 280 281 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: