blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:34:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272588 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 277 278 [279] 280 281 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 534854 times)
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #4170 on: March 17, 2022, 01:42:02 PM »

Amazing work Matt so pleased for you.  Your prep and build up suggested something massive was in the tank.   It's great looking at 3 plates + on the bench.  Sadly i have never troubled the judges in that dep (and never will)!

Thanks mate. Yes I was confident but it's always difficult mentally to think you might hit 150kg when the most you've touched for the previous 4 to 5 months is 140. Just proves that you don't need to be maxing out to improve your max.

Never say never.... If you really wanted to I think you could. It's not that long ago I was struggling at 120kg for a single.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #4171 on: March 17, 2022, 01:50:04 PM »

Awesome Matt, crazy that 150kg felt easy.
Nearly as impressive for me is you staying pretty much injury free throughout the programme.
Looking forward to you getting 160kg

This has undoubtedly been the key for me.

Main thing has been quitting dead lifts and squats as they always mess me up but also keeping benching with limits.

I can't over state the importance of a good programme if you want to make improvements. There was a YouTube video I watched a while ago that was talking about ignoring 1RM and focussing on 5RM, 8RM etc. instead.

He put it so simply. If one day you can do 6 reps at a certain weight but a month later you can do 7 then you've got stronger and your 1RM has gone up as well.

Almost all of my bench training was well within limits and I didn't fail a rep in the lead up. I wrote everything down and just watched as the numbers improved ever so slightly week by week so I knew I was getting stronger but still not taking any big risks.

Even if the rep quantity was the same I'd still judge by whether it felt a bit easier and how much closer I was to an extra.

It's been revolutionary for me and I can see me sticking to it for quite a while.

It's only been the last 3 or 4 weeks that I've noticed a slight twinge coming back in my left elbow. I can put that down to the increased weights I've been moving which just tells me I need to go back to the start and give my joints a break before pushing the heavy stuff again.

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #4172 on: March 25, 2022, 02:42:16 PM »

Big big numbers from Matt, managed a comfortable 3x8 at 44s for the flat today. Its been really variable the last month, some days a tough 8 some days 876, but after a comfortable 8 today I will take a shot at the 46 soon. Week off next week so will do a 44 on the week back and see where we get to. Not huge progress anywhere else, mainly just trying to add a rep or two with everything.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #4173 on: March 30, 2022, 08:01:22 PM »

Had a slight injury the last couple of weeks and hadn't done back/triceps for 3 or 4 weeks before today and was fearing the worst strength wise but banged out 6 reps with 50kg ez bar skull crushes after doing a set of 15!! with 45kg which i usuallly just about get 10 reps out with.   Actually couldn't believe it how easy the 50kg was.   Pretty sure thats close to an all time PB if not definitely a 21st century pb.    Overhead dumbbell press held up easily numbers wise as well.  

Back strength had a marginal drop off but nothing remotely as big as expected.   Very happy.
arbboy

View Profile
« Reply #4174 on: March 30, 2022, 09:54:05 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH9a00XN5MI

This takes spit and saw dust gyms to a whole new level.  Kid is doing all the old school exercises tbf to him. 
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #4175 on: May 20, 2022, 03:40:42 PM »

No update for a while, so about 6 weeks ago I thought I would give myself a little intense squat circle. Haven't really done squats or deads this year, so I went in with squatting 4x a week. 3x10 Day 1, 8,6,15 on following days.

This week we've had 3x10 100, 3x8 110, 3x6 115, hoping for a 3x15 75/80 tomorrow we shall see. But I think the 3x6 is a lifetime PB? I may have done it at 120 before, I can't remember but either way very pleasing. No belt, no shoes which will definitely be a lifetime PB.

Other than that, most of the other numbers have just been ticking along. Peaked at 3x8 46 for DB chest, 3x8 62.5 OHP and 3x8 100kg BOR. Still quite firm on 4 days a week, and trying to get my steps in now the weather is getting a little nicer. Starting to get the golf itch, so I am easing training a little just to make sure I am not too stuff, depleted for when I play, but its a sacrifice I am quite happy to make this summer. Weighing in around 87/88 so keen to not go to high over, wouldn't mind being 85 by July.

Reintroduced weighted chins, pretty sure I was 3x6 with 20kg at my peak and went 6/6/4 with 10kg today so some improvement ready there.

How is everyone else doing?
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #4176 on: May 21, 2022, 10:31:37 PM »

No update for a while, so about 6 weeks ago I thought I would give myself a little intense squat circle. Haven't really done squats or deads this year, so I went in with squatting 4x a week. 3x10 Day 1, 8,6,15 on following days.

This week we've had 3x10 100, 3x8 110, 3x6 115, hoping for a 3x15 75/80 tomorrow we shall see. But I think the 3x6 is a lifetime PB? I may have done it at 120 before, I can't remember but either way very pleasing. No belt, no shoes which will definitely be a lifetime PB.

Other than that, most of the other numbers have just been ticking along. Peaked at 3x8 46 for DB chest, 3x8 62.5 OHP and 3x8 100kg BOR. Still quite firm on 4 days a week, and trying to get my steps in now the weather is getting a little nicer. Starting to get the golf itch, so I am easing training a little just to make sure I am not too stuff, depleted for when I play, but its a sacrifice I am quite happy to make this summer. Weighing in around 87/88 so keen to not go to high over, wouldn't mind being 85 by July.

Reintroduced weighted chins, pretty sure I was 3x6 with 20kg at my peak and went 6/6/4 with 10kg today so some improvement ready there.

Nice numbers mate especially that OHP and DB chest press. 3x8 at 46 is really good work but you know yourself what a jump it is trying to go up to the 50s from there. Must be good for a few reps now though so maybe next block you'll get to giving them a go. I'd recommend throwing them in between the 46s. Instead of 3 x 8 at 46 maybe 2 x 6 at 46 to keep a bit in the tank then throw in a double at 50 then a rep out at 40. Just feeling the 50s out for a month or so will really work the confidence to then up the reps to 3, 4, 5 etc.

I'd love to be doing weighted chins at some point...... Recently reintroduced assisted chins with almost the full stack so I'm a bit behind 

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #4177 on: May 21, 2022, 10:46:22 PM »

I've not been quite as motivated the last couple of months following my bench PR 10 weeks ago.

I picked up a few niggles during my testing block which developed in to a full on tendon/ligament f**k up after I didn't back down enough in the following weeks. Lesson learned and next time when I go for 1RM I'm going to really take it easy after the top set.

Anyway the injury has meant I've missed a few sessions but generally still made it in for my 3 bench days. It's been pretty painful on occasion but the strength has stayed reasonable. I've only trained 3 days per week most weeks but I'm happy to miss legs and arms.

Please to report that today is the first day that I've been 95% pain free so ready for a run in to another PR attempt. I'll also probably feel motivated to throw in an extra session on Friday with a bit of luck.

I've been back up to full bench strength recently hitting 4 x 10 at 100, 110, 115 and 120 on my 'light' day (Monday) and 112.5 x 5, 122.5 x 5, 130 x 5 and 135 x 4 on 'heavy' day (Wednesday)

Today I hit 9 paused reps at 120kg which is a PR so all is going really well.

Triples next Saturday and if I feel good might have to stick 3 plates on for the first time in 3 months!!

vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #4178 on: May 23, 2022, 09:52:58 AM »

Going well guys, good to hear the updates.
Personally, have had to stop trying to increase weights whilst lowering body weight. Concentrating on reps/sets with lower. Hurt my back deadlifting last month, which didn't help.
On holiday next week, once back i'm going back to using full body workouts, doing individual body parts just  doesn't work as well for me.
Have also been caning the cardio, which has probably limited the strength/muscle gains.
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #4179 on: May 23, 2022, 10:26:40 AM »

Good to see everyone getting it done.. im still doing the mad crossfit stuff with some strength & olympic lifts thrown in for good measure..but have been working more on paced stuff rather than flat out red lining, will leave that to the whipper snappers Smiley going well and looking to be nice and cut for the summer.

Never been one for 1 rep max stuff especially at my age as I dont want to hurt myself but I thought i should update some of my poorer PB's.. squat and deadlift mainly..

upped the squat from 150KG to 170KG..deadlift we are aiming for 200KG as I done 170KG a couple years ago with more left in the tank..not sure if I will go back to bench..was happy with 130KG..although I suppose 3 plates is should be a target Smiley

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #4180 on: May 24, 2022, 10:04:20 AM »

Nice numbers mate especially that OHP and DB chest press. 3x8 at 46 is really good work but you know yourself what a jump it is trying to go up to the 50s from there. Must be good for a few reps now though so maybe next block you'll get to giving them a go. I'd recommend throwing them in between the 46s. Instead of 3 x 8 at 46 maybe 2 x 6 at 46 to keep a bit in the tank then throw in a double at 50 then a rep out at 40. Just feeling the 50s out for a month or so will really work the confidence to then up the reps to 3, 4, 5 etc.

I'd love to be doing weighted chins at some point...... Recently reintroduced assisted chins with almost the full stack so I'm a bit behind 

50s for flat does not seem even remotely close right now, at least for the reps I want. The 46's were 6/10 reps in terms of quality. I can do HB approved ones at 44. I think when I attack the 50s it will be a similar plan, the good news is I have been one arm rowing the 50s for a while now so I have experience in moving and lifting them so I know I can get them in position. I am taking a few weeks off the heavier pressing and going for volume again, then will move back in. Quite a leg dominant split at the minute. Trying to get some volume through the pins.

I really want to build back up to 20kg but I am 7kg heavier than when I last did it so I am nearly there in terms of absolute weight. All my pressing is volume at the minute and most of my pulling is strength so we will see how it goes.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #4181 on: May 24, 2022, 10:06:14 AM »

I've not been quite as motivated the last couple of months following my bench PR 10 weeks ago.

I picked up a few niggles during my testing block which developed in to a full on tendon/ligament f**k up after I didn't back down enough in the following weeks. Lesson learned and next time when I go for 1RM I'm going to really take it easy after the top set.

Anyway the injury has meant I've missed a few sessions but generally still made it in for my 3 bench days. It's been pretty painful on occasion but the strength has stayed reasonable. I've only trained 3 days per week most weeks but I'm happy to miss legs and arms.

Please to report that today is the first day that I've been 95% pain free so ready for a run in to another PR attempt. I'll also probably feel motivated to throw in an extra session on Friday with a bit of luck.

I've been back up to full bench strength recently hitting 4 x 10 at 100, 110, 115 and 120 on my 'light' day (Monday) and 112.5 x 5, 122.5 x 5, 130 x 5 and 135 x 4 on 'heavy' day (Wednesday)

Today I hit 9 paused reps at 120kg which is a PR so all is going really well.

Triples next Saturday and if I feel good might have to stick 3 plates on for the first time in 3 months!!

Pain free really is the one! I am noticing more and more the needs to ease off on certain movements throughout the week. I am not 100% what the best plan of attack would be, and short term/long term is probably a different answer but a Is want to be here for the long term I can be at peace with taking a few sessions 'off' so to speak.

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #4182 on: May 24, 2022, 10:10:18 AM »

Going well guys, good to hear the updates.
Personally, have had to stop trying to increase weights whilst lowering body weight. Concentrating on reps/sets with lower. Hurt my back deadlifting last month, which didn't help.
On holiday next week, once back i'm going back to using full body workouts, doing individual body parts just  doesn't work as well for me.
Have also been caning the cardio, which has probably limited the strength/muscle gains.

Always pro full body, seems like a good choice. Keep it up
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #4183 on: May 24, 2022, 10:11:00 AM »

Good to see everyone getting it done.. im still doing the mad crossfit stuff with some strength & olympic lifts thrown in for good measure..but have been working more on paced stuff rather than flat out red lining, will leave that to the whipper snappers Smiley going well and looking to be nice and cut for the summer.

Never been one for 1 rep max stuff especially at my age as I dont want to hurt myself but I thought i should update some of my poorer PB's.. squat and deadlift mainly..

upped the squat from 150KG to 170KG..deadlift we are aiming for 200KG as I done 170KG a couple years ago with more left in the tank..not sure if I will go back to bench..was happy with 130KG..although I suppose 3 plates is should be a target Smiley

All very impressive numbers as it is! How long was it to get to 150-170?
the sicilian

View Profile
« Reply #4184 on: May 24, 2022, 01:10:42 PM »

All very impressive numbers as it is! How long was it to get to 150-170?

was a bit odd really..i dont do a lot of squatting..i did 150 a couple of years ago and failed 160...started doing some squatting with the pt recently and found i was doing 150 for 5 reps pretty easy..so i said to him that i should be able to improve 1 rep from there.. so went 155..160.165.170.. and failed 175

Just because you don't like it...... It doesn't mean it's not the truth
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 277 278 [279] 280 281 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: