blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:21:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272618 Posts in 66755 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 536061 times)
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #720 on: February 15, 2016, 08:51:30 AM »

Felt really weak this morning. I had a strong Monday through to Wednesday last week and then picked up a bit of a cough so missed Thursday.

Felt generally crappy for a few days, struggled with press ups but forced a few out to keep on track. Felt loads better this morning but struggled with 100kg bench and only managed 40kg OHP. Just shows how feeling a bit poorly can take it out of you I suppose.

Anyway I think I'm fixed now so hopefully I'll be back on it over the next few days.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #721 on: February 15, 2016, 10:28:29 AM »

Felt really weak this morning. I had a strong Monday through to Wednesday last week and then picked up a bit of a cough so missed Thursday.

Felt generally crappy for a few days, struggled with press ups but forced a few out to keep on track. Felt loads better this morning but struggled with 100kg bench and only managed 40kg OHP. Just shows how feeling a bit poorly can take it out of you I suppose.

Anyway I think I'm fixed now so hopefully I'll be back on it over the next few days.

I hear ya, whenever I get the hint of a cold it is like I am stripped of everything. Touch wood I don't get them that often.

Was meant to deadlift yesterday but got carried away with all the sport. So I shall be on that later. I think the book says 3x5 @ 170, but that seems pretty tough so I would take 3x5 @ 160/165/170 and any better would be a bonus.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #722 on: February 15, 2016, 03:10:49 PM »

I hear ya, whenever I get the hint of a cold it is like I am stripped of everything. Touch wood I don't get them that often.

Was meant to deadlift yesterday but got carried away with all the sport. So I shall be on that later. I think the book says 3x5 @ 170, but that seems pretty tough so I would take 3x5 @ 160/165/170 and any better would be a bonus.

Yeah I've always been reasonably immune myself but just recently I've had a few annoying sniffles.

I was surprised how much it affected the press-ups and it really shows how tough it'll be to get to 25k. I managed 500 for the week but I could happily have had the week off and now been 800 behind schedule. Not sure I've made a good decision going for this Cheesy

Those deadlifts are really good you know. Can't believe the weight Sean and yourself are shifting. I seriously can't imagine lifting anywhere even close to the numbers you're doing.

Be interesting if I make Sunday to see how it's done.

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #723 on: February 15, 2016, 03:54:34 PM »

Going to do more cardio based and stretch related training as i have a decent amount of football this week. I seem to feel heavy legged and unflexible in the upper body trying to play football after hard weight sessions even two days after. I think i will need to alter the intensity for the goals i want. Less sets, less resistance, just so i get less DOMS, when I go hard with football. Also give myself a day recover too at the least, so if i have a match on Wednesday or Saturday to do a session on the Monday and Thursday of weights.

All trial and error, I will soon be landing on something that works.

Great progress from the start from me generally, I am between a 34' to 35' waist now and can creep into a 34' waist jeans, down from 38' from when i started the routine which is interesting. I really didn't think i would get that low, and on the look of me I will probably land on 32' as there is plenty still to go.

Even with getting slimmer though I am getting stronger and eating loads so i don't think the weight loss is me losing too much muscle which is good. I just got to keep it up which i have found easy to do tbh.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #724 on: February 15, 2016, 04:07:32 PM »

Yeah I've always been reasonably immune myself but just recently I've had a few annoying sniffles.

I was surprised how much it affected the press-ups and it really shows how tough it'll be to get to 25k. I managed 500 for the week but I could happily have had the week off and now been 800 behind schedule. Not sure I've made a good decision going for this Cheesy

Those deadlifts are really good you know. Can't believe the weight Sean and yourself are shifting. I seriously can't imagine lifting anywhere even close to the numbers you're doing.

Be interesting if I make Sunday to see how it's done.

This is what I mean, 25k is just so so big. But I am still backing down from betting.

Deadlifts were annoying today.

x5 160
x5 165
x3 170

Shoulda done 170 second set in hindsight, but I just lost concentration on the 4th rep and it just wasn't moving. If I was a bit more focused I would be confident.

Enjoyed legs on the whole today.

Squats may be interesting not sure when I will fit them in this week, may wait until Sunday and do a little hybrid session. Good chances you will make it Sunday?
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #725 on: February 15, 2016, 04:11:53 PM »

Going to do more cardio based and stretch related training as i have a decent amount of football this week. I seem to feel heavy legged and unflexible in the upper body trying to play football after hard weight sessions even two days after. I think i will need to alter the intensity for the goals i want. Less sets, less resistance, just so i get less DOMS, when I go hard with football. Also give myself a day recover too at the least, so if i have a match on Wednesday or Saturday to do a session on the Monday and Thursday of weights.

Great progress from the start from me generally, I am between a 34' to 35' waist now and can creep into a 34' waist jeans, down from 38' from when i started the routine which is interesting. I really didn't think i would get that low, and on the look of me I will probably land on 32' as there is plenty still to go.

Even with getting slimmer though I am getting stronger and eating loads so i don't think the weight loss is me losing too much muscle which is good. I just got to keep it up which i have found easy to do tbh.

You shouldn't get repeated DOMS, maybe once every 6-12 weeks when you start a new routine for the first week. But you should adapt pretty quickly, unless you are over 50, then it may be a different issue. So either you aren't recovering well enough, eating/sleeping/drinking/stress. Or you are going way to hard every session.I am on a war against people that are proud of DOMS like its some sort of war wound, its just terrible training (not saying anyone in this thread is like that, it is just a personal pet hate of mine at the minute).

Like you said, trial and error. But just focus on steady progression. Going to failure isn't optimal for everyone. Just progress steadily.
Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #726 on: February 15, 2016, 04:16:51 PM »

You shouldn't get repeated DOMS, maybe once every 6-12 weeks when you start a new routine for the first week. But you should adapt pretty quickly, unless you are over 50, then it may be a different issue. So either you aren't recovering well enough, eating/sleeping/drinking/stress. Or you are going way to hard every session.I am on a war against people that are proud of DOMS like its some sort of war wound, its just terrible training (not saying anyone in this thread is like that, it is just a personal pet hate of mine at the minute).

Like you said, trial and error. But just focus on steady progression. Going to failure isn't optimal for everyone. Just progress steadily.

Nice one for the advice.

I threw doms out there like i knew what i was talking about. I mean more like feeling just a little bit stiff, like if i didn't train so hard the 2 days before i would feel more freedom of movement today. Like you said trial and error, and I hope to eventually optimise it.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #727 on: February 15, 2016, 11:01:35 PM »

Nice one for the advice.

I threw doms out there like i knew what i was talking about. I mean more like feeling just a little bit stiff, like if i didn't train so hard the 2 days before i would feel more freedom of movement today. Like you said trial and error, and I hope to eventually optimise it.

I think pain/stiffness/ache tolerance goes up the more you have it. But if it is affecting everyday life, it isn't working. It for the most part should be in the background just gaining small %'s every week. Let the food fuel recovery and let the sleep repair. If it is something that is stopping you play football, or play it well clearly that is not the right way. It should be helping football, helping everyday life. It should be making everything easier, not harder.

I realise that was a mini rant, but the amount of people that stop/don't get the most out of it/windmill around/waste time because they don't get this makes me so sad.

EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #728 on: February 16, 2016, 05:28:47 PM »

ATG squats...... Ouch!!

Going very steady with these at the moment as they're very new to me. I've never gone below parallel and now I'm going really low. Max weight is 80kg for now and getting 6 decent reps out before I get a bit unsteady. Once the form goes I'm stopping so as not to risk any injuries.

Hope I can make it on Sunday as I'd like to get a form check for my squats.

Ant040689

View Profile
« Reply #729 on: February 16, 2016, 05:57:38 PM »

Nice one for the advice.

I think pain/stiffness/ache tolerance goes up the more you have it. But if it is affecting everyday life, it isn't working. It for the most part should be in the background just gaining small %'s every week. Let the food fuel recovery and let the sleep repair. If it is something that is stopping you play football, or play it well clearly that is not the right way. It should be helping football, helping everyday life. It should be making everything easier, not harder.

I realise that was a mini rant, but the amount of people that stop/don't get the most out of it/windmill around/waste time because they don't get this makes me so sad.

It's an interesting one. I had to feel out the training at the beginning when it was all gym work alone, and settled on a routine that worked. Now that short sudden bursts of cardio are getting thrown in I need to adapt it all.

Also i think the huge issue is I dont take the warm up and warm down as seriously for football and thus feel the aches more whereas when I gym I do extensive stretching. I need to put the time in before and after football. Often you can finish football and just want to get home. I need to do the warm down!
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #730 on: February 16, 2016, 10:47:30 PM »

Nice one for the advice.

It's an interesting one. I had to feel out the training at the beginning when it was all gym work alone, and settled on a routine that worked. Now that short sudden bursts of cardio are getting thrown in I need to adapt it all.

Also i think the huge issue is I dont take the warm up and warm down as seriously for football and thus feel the aches more whereas when I gym I do extensive stretching. I need to put the time in before and after football. Often you can finish football and just want to get home. I need to do the warm down!

I'm not sure its warm up and warm downs as much. As you are relatively active in general right? Walking is active recovery etc. It would be more food/sleep/stress if you are consistently stiff/sore.

Obv warm ups are crucial, but I don't know the level/intensity you play at plus arent you a keeper? I'm not thrilled as the warm up/warm down as a good reason to be stiff. Eat more lentils, sleep better.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #731 on: February 16, 2016, 10:48:52 PM »

ATG squats...... Ouch!!

Going very steady with these at the moment as they're very new to me. I've never gone below parallel and now I'm going really low. Max weight is 80kg for now and getting 6 decent reps out before I get a bit unsteady. Once the form goes I'm stopping so as not to risk any injuries.

Hope I can make it on Sunday as I'd like to get a form check for my squats.

ATG is never easy. Big big tester.

Yeah for sure, let us know, because I can come around when you are free.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #732 on: February 16, 2016, 10:52:39 PM »

Upper body today.

Good numbers all round and really enjoyed the session. Had about 3-5 seconds of unassisted handstands which is a really good feeling, I think this is a similar feeling to when I first did 100kg squats. I honestly thought I would never get there, same with the handstand. How can this lanky kid do a handstand?!

So really pleased with that. Diet and lower kcals are definitely taking its toll, but slowly leaning out. We don't have easy access to scales in Pure so I haven;t weighed myself in ages. But hoping to be around 90-91kg by now. But generally really pleased how things are going. The big test is can I hold this out for another 3 months knowing at some point training will go backwards.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #733 on: February 17, 2016, 12:52:50 AM »

Good stuff mate, n1.

Saw Matt Serra walking around on his hands, in the new UFC show that's airing. You wouldn't think he'd be able to do things like that, but those jiujitsu guys are incredibly flexible, and strong.

Went today, and the plan was legs, but they don't really work too well, so other than a few sets of light leg extensions, and trying to work my non-responsive hipflexors on a machine they have for that, not much with weights was done.

I did a bit of core work with a medicine ball, some crunches. Finished with 5mins of v slow, v laboured cycling, too. John is going to do a bit more research into it, and we're going to start adding some leg/core excercises onto the end of each session, rather than trying to do a full hour of legs atm.

Pain in the ass, because when I try to do anything, clonus presents itself, and my legs look like Michael J. Fox, when he's hamming it up in The Good Wife... Still, on the march, sort of Cheesy

Going to restart the fatties thread, to keep a track of my macros/food intake, when I can.

PokerBroker

View Profile
« Reply #734 on: February 17, 2016, 08:30:58 AM »

@Ant - Regarding your stiffness/soreness have you reviewed your dietary requirements.   If your training so hard your body needs fuelled properly to recover.   

I'd suggest keeping a food diary for a week and then posting here and perhaps we can suggest some changes that will help.   

I mentioned earlier in this thread that with my lifters I don't tend to offer indepth dietary/nutrition advice but their are fundamentals to good training.   We need to be eating regularly and often - smaller portions also help - if training sem-hard we should be trying to have protein with each meal.  Carbs should be ate predominately before training, not right before but say 60 - 45 minutes.  You need good sources of Iron/Zinc it helps with performance and recovery.   I'd also try adding in good glycogens - helps with recovery and fuelling the muscles so fatigue doesn't set in.   You can obviously buy supps for many of these things, personally I am reticent to recommend supplements to anyone who isn't training competitively or who doesn't have a balanced diet.   Nothing worse than seeing guys stroll around a commercial gym talking about protein when they haven't a clue of how to use it, when to take in or who are just technically bad at every exercise - as no matter how much protein they take they still risk the chance of massive injury. 

As iRaise says as well though you need to be at ease in the mind so cutting out stress/worry and making sure your getting plenty of sleep, it's one of the biggest aides to recovery.   
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: