blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:26:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 530724 times)
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2015, 08:30:11 PM »

Many thanks for the feedback, I would love to take you up on your offer Harvey. Essentially I have always had a base level of fitness from sport and running and the occasional gym session. Recently I have been suffering from running injuries and have been planning on diversifying my sessions. The only true time in my life I added any bulk was when I had a knee operation and was unable to do my cv for 3 months, I just targeted the weights and put a bit of extra on. This was shifted when I started running again.

As for current sessions, two of these are organised sessions which I am required to attend, so the crossfit is included in this. In truth I am not a big fan, I never really feel I develop in this area and fatigue during exercises at the same time every session. It is just flavour of the month where I am.

I once tried adding structure with targeting specific body parts although I didn't feel I progressed so slipped back into enjoying my sessions by mixing it up. I am a fan of training with another person and just taking it in turns to pick the next exercise, I guess that's my motivation. I am a fan of thinking back first, lat pull downs, pull ups etc then next time I will do totally different exercises.

Nutrition wise I am savvy although due to my cv sessions I often top up on sugar based snacks as I feel they have been earned. A typical days food would be weetabix, banana, kiwi fruit, eggs on toast, apple, few biscuits with brews, pasta dish/chciken or tuna (lots of cheese which i know is bad)for main and a yoghurt. Yeah I have a few treats of cake, chocolate, Kettle chips and the likes but these are once a week, as I believe a little is best. Should I be taking whey protein to add weight?

Will pm you and sort out a skype chat. I am normally 'anti'' supplement, or at least its the last resort. But for the exercise levels you do, I imagine it will help you recover considerably better. You recover better, you perform better, you get stronger, or whatever your aim is.

To be honest, with your activity levels, the only real error you can make nutritionally is a lack of protein. You would have to eat so much to over eat, as you expend so much.

And cheese isn't bad. Great fats, great protein. Its just high in kcals, something you absolutely need in becoming stronger, and for you personally something you need just to go from day to day.
muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2015, 09:41:05 PM »

Of course in for this! Considering i started off as a total noob i'm relatively pleased with my overall progress so far. Going to try and kick it up a notch and really push myself hard over the course of the next few months, i want to squat 5x5 100kg by 31st December 2015.  

I remember the first time I did this, was such a huge confidence boost, i did 8x2 from 80-100 preceding it, so I could get used to having it on my back.

Whats your current routine like?

Usually training 3 times a week alternating between workout A (squats, deadlift, press, dips) and workout B (squats, bench, row, chinups). Squats happen every workout, and the only other thing is that the deadlifts are only 1x5 rather than 5x5.

I went on holiday last week and took a bit of weight off the barbells after coming back. I mean at my level of progress i'm sure it'd have been fine to pick up where i left off, but i'm so wary of still being new to this that I don't want to hurt myself through ignorance of my strength levels after a solid week of drinking sangria and eating horrendously. I'm not in a rush and always emphasised that to myself when undertaking this regime - better to do this properly and reduce the chances of injury as much as possible especially in the early days where i'm probably the most suspect. Now that I'm back though i want to make sure i hit those 3 gym days a week every week until the new year and continue getting those kcals in - you guys will be my motivation.     

Here are my current numbers (all in kg including olympic bar) - 

Squat: 70
Deadlift: 97.5
Bench: 42.5
Row: 52.5
Press: 40

Lets gogogogogogo everyone.
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2015, 11:18:22 PM »

Right, be gentle with me. I weigh 10 stone dripping wet. I am about 5 foot 9. I am fairly sure I have weighed within half a stone of 10 stone since I have been 15, am going to be 28 this year.

In terms of muscle, am very weak. Never played any sport regularly. Current exercise is next to nothing and am very unfit. Job is sedentary.

Just attempted press-ups and could do 15 slow and steady.

I suspect my nutrition is poor. I very rarely eat breakfast, most mornings is coffee and perhaps a snack if I can grab one. Lunch is a meal deal from Tesco or something similar. Dinner is a mixture of decent home made stuff (chilli, spag bol, curry) and pre-made finest tesco food. Usually one takeaway a week. If food was available in pill form then would do that, have been trying to eat more recently but just can't seem to put on any meaningful weight.

Basically when it comes down to it, I am unhappy with my body/weight and am doing nothing to help. I would like to be 11 stone, I don't think it would hurt to chuck it on in fat but it would make more sense to get a bit of muscle too.

What sort of things can I be doing to get there healthily?
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2015, 12:06:22 AM »

I am guessing Matt is going to smash us both at the pressing as I know he was a strong presser back in the day, and a touch of competition might make him relive that. Not sure Matts Squat and Dead numbers? Maybe he can enlighten us?

Not too sure about 'smashing' both of you...... Surprising how the age difference hinders!!

'Back in the day' as you put it (ahem!!) I never did single rep max attempts so I honestly don't know what my absolute peaks would be. I could bench 140kg for maybe 4 or 5 reps but hardly ever did it. I usually stuck at 120kg because I preferred to target failure at 8 to 10 reps. I could dumbbell chest press 50kg for about 12 to 15 reps. They didn't have anything bigger apart from 70kg so not sure how heavy I may have gone. One rep max for bench I'd guess at 160kg. For dumbbells I'd say 60kg.

I was pretty good at overhead press but very often tweaked my shoulder so I really cut this back and stayed careful. For barbell I'd do 80kg and dumbbell up to 40kg. Again these were for minimum 6 reps so no idea what my single rep max would be.

As for squats again there's no single rep max. I always had slightly dodgy knees and a bit of a hernia type twinge which both made me very paranoid so I stayed steady. I could do 140kg reasonable easily for 8 reps but never ever pushed to the point I'd even need a spot. Single rep max may well have been 180kg or so but there's no way in hell I'd attempt it.

Deadlifts would be similar to squats. I didn't do them often and when I did it would be for 8 or so reps rather than a single rep max lift. I could do 140kg pretty easily without worrying about injury. Not sure what my single rep max would be. I used to shrug 180kg without a rack so at least that I suppose Smiley

Don't shrug 180kg btw!! It gives you amazing delts but very sloped shoulders!! Much better to do half the weight and get a perfect shrug rather than just pile on loads of weight and have to cheat a bit!!

I think all those numbers crush me and Sean significantly right now, I know I would be over the moon with 3x140kg for a squat.

I tend to use shrugs for grip strength, with the bonus of delts. As deads are my primary exercise, my grip sucks after 140/150 without chalk and alternate.

Agree with you about form, how people have any shoulder left after going for heavy shrugs is crazy. See some horribly versions, much prefer a full ROM/controlled shrug for delt size and more importantly shoulder health.

Matt where are you at with pull ups? No idea what weight/leverage you are/have?

I know next year I want to bring in more and more calisthenics.

I would hope so!! Took me years of hard work to get there. If you two smashed me up after five minutes in the gym and eating a few bananas I'd be devastated!!! Pretty sure you'll both me stronger than me at most things right now though so I'll have some catching up to do.

I was always a bit of an all rounder in the gym. No real weaknesses but didn't excel at anything in particular either. My grip was like a vice and it never let me down once I had developed it properly. I think that came from building it up slowly and never using straps, chalk or alternate grip. I'd treat all the exercises as much as a grip exercise as for the body part I was targeting. If my grip gave up on chins then rather than use chalk or straps I'd just accept that even though my back was strong enough my grip wasn't so I had to stay where I was until my grip caught up. Same with the heavy shrugs or deadlifts. If the grip gave up first then that would be the body part that was being worked to failure so it would have no choice but to get stronger.

Pull ups are pretty poor at the moment but I'm working on them. I used to hang a 40kg dumbbell round my waist and bang out double figure reps quite easily with perfect form so I find it a bit depressing that now I can barely do 4 just with body weight!!!

I'm going to be patient and work on the stability with these. I'm doing 4 sets of narrow grip pull ups super setted with wide grip chins but I'm only doing a couple of reps for each. I'm doing a 3 second count for the up phase, a 3 second hold and then a 3 second lower at the moment. I'll stick with this for a few weeks and then try to blast out a full set and let you know how it goes.

Why don't you get started with your body weight stuff now? Even if it's just a few hanging knee raises every session it'll be slowly building your grip, your knuckles, finger tips, forearms, lats......... Nothing can escape when you're hanging from a bar, the weakest link will give up first so it's being trained to failure and therefore developing just like any other muscle.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2015, 10:51:41 AM »

Right, be gentle with me. I weigh 10 stone dripping wet. I am about 5 foot 9. I am fairly sure I have weighed within half a stone of 10 stone since I have been 15, am going to be 28 this year.

In terms of muscle, am very weak. Never played any sport regularly. Current exercise is next to nothing and am very unfit. Job is sedentary.

I suspect my nutrition is poor. I very rarely eat breakfast, most mornings is coffee and perhaps a snack if I can grab one. Lunch is a meal deal from Tesco or something similar. Dinner is a mixture of decent home made stuff (chilli, spag bol, curry) and pre-made finest tesco food. Usually one takeaway a week. If food was available in pill form then would do that, have been trying to eat more recently but just can't seem to put on any meaningful weight.

Basically when it comes down to it, I am unhappy with my body/weight and am doing nothing to help. I would like to be 11 stone, I don't think it would hurt to chuck it on in fat but it would make more sense to get a bit of muscle too.

There are lots of different ways to add more calories to your diet.

First of all, if you want to gain muscle, then it's crucial that you're eating enough protein. A rough guide is that you want to eat 1g of protein per 1lb of bodyweight. For you - at 10st - that would be 140g, although it won't matter too much if you're shooting over, just as long as you're not under. I don't know how much you know on the topic of nutrition, so I'm sorry if this is obvious, but protein is found in meat, poultry, fish, eggs, milk, and nuts. The easiest of these to get into the diet of a man who rarely gets hungry are eggs and milk, and nuts in the form of nut butter. Add more milk to your coffees? Beat a couple of eggs into your evening meal? Grab a spoonful of peanut butter in the mornings? Just some suggestions.

Protein shakes are good for guys that struggle to eat enough food, although it should be noted that these are designed to supplement a diet, not to be the foundation of. If you can squeeze a protein shake in for breakfast, that will boost your intake by roughly 30g, or more if you shake it up with milk. Depends on what you can stomach.

Another thing you can do to boost calorie intake is add more fats. This is much easier to do, although you must make sure your fat is coming from good sources, such as olive oil, coconut oil, nut butters, egg yolks, pesto, milk and cream. For every gram of fat you're adding to your diet, you're adding 9 calories, so you can see how easy it will be to boost your caloric intake just by throwing some extra fats in with your meals.
Mark_Porter

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2015, 11:10:07 AM »

First of all, if you want to gain muscle, then it's crucial that you're eating enough protein. A rough guide is that you want to eat 1g of protein per 1lb of bodyweight. For you - at 10st - that would be 140g, although it won't matter too much if you're shooting over, just as long as you're not under. I don't know how much you know on the topic of nutrition, so I'm sorry if this is obvious, but protein is found in meat, poultry, fish, eggs, milk, and nuts. The easiest of these to get into the diet of a man who rarely gets hungry are eggs and milk, and nuts in the form of nut butter. Add more milk to your coffees? Beat a couple of eggs into your evening meal? Grab a spoonful of peanut butter in the mornings? Just some suggestions.

Protein shakes are good for guys that struggle to eat enough food, although it should be noted that these are designed to supplement a diet, not to be the foundation of. If you can squeeze a protein shake in for breakfast, that will boost your intake by roughly 30g, or more if you shake it up with milk. Depends on what you can stomach.

Another thing you can do to boost calorie intake is add more fats. This is much easier to do, although you must make sure your fat is coming from good sources, such as olive oil, coconut oil, nut butters, egg yolks, pesto, milk and cream. For every gram of fat you're adding to your diet, you're adding 9 calories, so you can see how easy it will be to boost your caloric intake just by throwing some extra fats in with your meals.

I bought some full fat milk at the weekend and was going to try a pint of extra milk every day this week. A milkshake or something in the evening. I know very little about nutrition.

I probably need to try and have some eggs in the morning. I seem to have trained my body to not need breakfast after so many years so the thought of eating early in the morning makes me feel ill.

How should I start off putting some basic muscle on? Some press-ups every day?
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2015, 05:41:56 PM »

@Matt I have a misc day, where I do hanging X, so leg raises/knee raises/ windscreen wipers/pull ups/one arm hangs etc for that reason. Also use it as rehab for my shoulder so lots of scap retraction. But weighing in at 94/95kg at the min, so finding it really tough. Last time I went serious with BW stuff I was around 70-75 and non of it was in my legs. But very keen to keep it up, but pull ups aren't top of the list at the minute. Do them on deadlift days, and on my misc day, but won't sweat it too much until I am a bit lighter, who knows when that will be. But agree, amazing for grip strength. I really am working on that, I know Sean did 20m farmers walk with 50kg DBs which I think is really good.

Numbers wise, my flat Bench was 120kg, Squat 120kg (but my 3x3 is now 120kg, I just haven't tested 1 RM squats this year, testing hopefully next month) Deadlift 190kg. I prefer OHP to bench, and really want a 100kg OHP press currently, 67.5kg. And having a slight tweak in my shoulder, won;t be going crazy on any pressing until Oct at a min.

DBs is something I really want, i did have a 4x6 at 44kg on one day where everything clicked. Really want the 50s, i think ever since I read your diary it became a bit of an obsession. So really want to get there. Fully expect it to be years before I can rep out 140kg at Squats. Would be over the moon with three by the end of the year.

Sean you wanna post your numbers up?
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2015, 06:35:58 PM »

I'll post some numbers up as soon as I get out of my rehab phase and start pressing some proper weights. The one's I quoted are all real but they were years ago and I was carrying an extra 10kg of muscle.

I'm about 97kg at the moment. I'm feeling really good, loving training twice a day and eating well for most of the week.

Unless I get another injury I think I'll be able to hit something respectable in the next few months.

What do you think to another dumbbell challenge? It's either that or the chin ups for my first target I think.

Took a full year last time but maybe now with a spotter I could manage it in 3 months.

I've never done those 3x3 things before but I imagine they'd really speed things up where the goal is a one rep max so if I did that sort of thing I think I should be able to hit 50s pretty quick.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2015, 09:06:15 PM »

@Mark_Porter
I would invite you to track your nutrition, just for a day or two. If your understanding of nutrition is poor, then having a look at what you're eating day in day out will really help you to understand what foods are rich in what nutrients, and it will help to make suggestions and recommendations easier. Just write down the calories (kcals), carbohydrates, protein and fat numbers. If you don't know exactly how much you're eating (eg you don't weigh how much pasta you have with your bolognese) then a rough guess will do, although accurate numbers would be useful where possible.

As for exercise, push-ups are a good starting place. Have a look on youtube for tips on how to perform this exercise correctly. Other bodyweight exercises I would recommend are squats, burpees and mountain climbers. Again, have a look on youtube for tutorials and whatnot. If you really want to pack some muscle on, then ideally you would want to add some resistance (ie weightlifting), but it's possible to build a good base level of strength as well as a small amount of size just by using your bodyweight.
zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2015, 09:13:44 PM »

@muckthenuts

Your numbers are flying up brother, sick work. That deadlift number is tilting me tho. If you can get 97.5, then you can get 100! Just whack two plates on and smash it!

What do you feel your strong/weak points are?
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2015, 09:54:19 PM »

I'll post some numbers up as soon as I get out of my rehab phase and start pressing some proper weights. The one's I quoted are all real but they were years ago and I was carrying an extra 10kg of muscle.

I'm about 97kg at the moment. I'm feeling really good, loving training twice a day and eating well for most of the week.

Unless I get another injury I think I'll be able to hit something respectable in the next few months.

What do you think to another dumbbell challenge? It's either that or the chin ups for my first target I think.

Took a full year last time but maybe now with a spotter I could manage it in 3 months.

I've never done those 3x3 things before but I imagine they'd really speed things up where the goal is a one rep max so if I did that sort of thing I think I should be able to hit 50s pretty quick.

Definitely up for a 50kg challenge, I think you are a huge favourite still (just because you know you can do it), but a lot depends on when we both come out of a rehab phase. Either way, I am going to give it a good go to give you a fair challenge.

I'm a huge 3x3 fan, even more for weights I haven;t done for the psychological aspect. But definitely speeds it up. 

I am quite happy for both, I imagine my obsession with pancakes is going to put me up to 97kg fairly quickly. So chins and DB's are good for me. Sure Sean will be up for it too? Chins for max reps at BW?
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2015, 09:57:02 PM »

I bought some full fat milk at the weekend and was going to try a pint of extra milk every day this week. A milkshake or something in the evening. I know very little about nutrition.

I probably need to try and have some eggs in the morning. I seem to have trained my body to not need breakfast after so many years so the thought of eating early in the morning makes me feel ill.

How should I start off putting some basic muscle on? Some press-ups every day?

As ever, what Sean said. I would say pull ups over press ups. But I think if you are serious about it, there isn't one exercise. Its a range of them all.

Breakfast doesn't matter, unless you go to the gym at like 8-10am. Then doesn't seem a great plan. But if you are beginner, most things are going to work for 6 months. So for me, its about enjoyment/experimenting and being safe and consistent.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2015, 10:02:39 PM »

@muckthenuts

Your numbers are flying up brother, sick work. That deadlift number is tilting me tho. If you can get 97.5, then you can get 100! Just whack two plates on and smash it!

What do you feel your strong/weak points are?

I thought the same thing, 100kg is just mental, put 1x20 and 2x10s on and it will fly up. Rack pulls I rate for deadlift accessory. Helps the lockout, and grip strength.

Keep us updated with the numbers, and feel free to share some videos if you are concerned on form.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2015, 10:30:05 PM »

Squat 110kg
Deadlift 90kg
Bench Press 90kg
Dumbell Bench Press 34kg each
Dumbell Shoulder Press 26kg each

Are my personal bests for the exercises I am measuring one rep max with. Current short term goal is to get to 40kg dumbells for the dumbell bench press and also to get to ten pull-ups in a row, as I suck at pull-ups. By the end of the year I'd be over the moon to get my deadlift and bench press both to 100kg.

Technically I have deadlifted 100kg, but my technique was terrible and it didn't count.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2015, 10:40:03 PM »

Squat 110kg
Deadlift 90kg
Bench Press 90kg
Dumbell Bench Press 34kg each
Dumbell Shoulder Press 26kg each

Are my personal bests for the exercises I am measuring one rep max with. Current short term goal is to get to 40kg dumbells for the dumbell bench press and also to get to ten pull-ups in a row, as I suck at pull-ups. By the end of the year I'd be over the moon to get my deadlift and bench press both to 100kg.

Technically I have deadlifted 100kg, but my technique was terrible and it didn't count.

Solid numbers.

What aspect do you struggle with deadlifts with? Rounded back? Lockout? Grip?

I think adding 10kg in 4 months is really realistic, depending on training schedule and reps/sets. But think you have it in you. last time we spoke you were on a good roll with it all, so have lots of faith.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: