blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:45:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272539 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 533970 times)
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2015, 02:55:58 PM »

I used to be able to do 6 reps of 180kg on on squats. Now I my legs feel like jelly after 6 reps of half that.

That is incredibly strong, like crazy crazy strong.

Time to jump in on the thread?

Not yet for me.

I am very fucking fat at the moment so I'm firmly placed on losing weight first.

I'm running every day and eating carefully. I'm doing some other exercises too but I want to get to around 90 kilos in bodyweight before I start lifting weights again.

The eventual goal is to be in the best shape I've ever gotten into, both strength wise and in terms of cardio. Will post here when I get into the weights but will be following the thread in the meantime.

I was at my strongest, when I was at my fattest. Although over the next few weeks I will be beating those PR's. But for fat loss, you can still incorporate strength cycles. I was doing 6x3 until then end of my diet, albeit at a much lower KG. But I wanted to maintain (or lose strength the slowest) throughout my diet. I am a HUGE advocate of getting as strong as you can during a diet.

What are your reasonings for not doing strength training on a diet?
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2015, 02:58:49 PM »

I've been doing Stronglifts 5x5 (which it looks like muckthenuts is as well) since Feb. Obv first few weeks are low weights, concentrating on form and I managed to get up to 82.5kg on squats (ie successfully did 5x5). I then had 7 weeks off (holiday then ill) and only just got back to where I was before another 3 week break (ill again).

It is annoying because I still haven't hit peak on anything yet - when I thought I was getting near (failing on 5th set) that's when the breaks happened - when I start again I'll have to drop back again so probably wouldn't be hitting limits until mid sept.

I said this to a client yesterday, you are only one bad squat away from the bar. We were talking about injury, but the principle is the same. When you have a long lay off, you have to start from scratch, you just get back there quicker (if you had good movement patterns before hand).

That is why it is so important to fall in love with it, so you can keep going no matter how many set backs. Keep us all updated, and throw some questions and numbers in here when you can.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2015, 02:59:43 PM »

Interesting thread, will follow with interest, and hopefully participate at some point.

Echo what iRaise said, why aren't you lifting when trying to lose weight, Cos?

I had my best weight loss results when I was lifting 4x a week, and not really doing any cardio at all.

Went from ~17st, down to 15st in a little over 2 months.

Most noticeable change in body composition I had, too.

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2015, 03:03:17 PM »

Interesting thread, will follow with interest, and hopefully participate at some point.

I had my best weight loss results when I was lifting 4x a week, and not really doing any cardio at all.

Yeah that's some solid fat loss! As Sean knows I am not a cardio fan, in terms of I get so bored, so I end up doing circuits as much as I can. Not to say cardio is bad, it clearly isn't and it will result in fat loss providing you are eating in a deficit. But I am as lanky as it gets. I don't wanna give my muscles a chance to run away, they are hard enough to get.

Please fill us in when you get back on it. Great to hear everyone's progress.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2015, 03:04:37 PM »

I dropped 20lbs from lifting and not much cardio and it has stayed off for over a year and previously it was up and down like a yoyo.
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2015, 03:09:39 PM »

Yeah that's some solid fat loss! As Sean knows I am not a cardio fan, in terms of I get so bored, so I end up doing circuits as much as I can. Not to say cardio is bad, it clearly isn't and it will result in fat loss providing you are eating in a deficit. But I am as lanky as it gets. I don't wanna give my muscles a chance to run away, they are hard enough to get.

I played prop from my teens until I was about 25, so was never really a fan of it, and used to detest running anything over the BFT when I was in the Navy Cheesy

I used to do 1/2 hour on the treadmill every day, but as my MS got worse, it got to a point I couldn't do 5 minutes, lol.

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2015, 03:12:34 PM »

I dropped 20lbs from lifting and not much cardio and it has stayed off for over a year and previously it was up and down like a yoyo.

To play devils advocate slightly. I am sure you must have paid more attention to food to keep it off, or your food has now aligned in your energy balance. It not as simple as lift a weight and your fat will melt, hence strongmen. You energy balance has to be in a deficit to lose fat. Muscle obv has a higher metabolic requirement. So that increase expenditure. But if you are knocking back 6000kcal you gotta be pretty dam big to be on a diet. Enter the Mr Olypmia's.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2015, 03:15:11 PM »

I played prop from my teens until I was about 25, so was never really a fan of it, and used to detest running anything over the BFT when I was in the Navy Cheesy

I used to do 1/2 hour on the treadmill every day, but as my MS got worse, it got to a point I couldn't do 5 minutes, lol.

Yeah sport the nut way to get cardio in.

I run a group class for people with MS. They are amazing, some days they can't come. But every time I go I am amazed and what they attempt to do. This morning we had it, and some people just get up and walk. It seems an incredible disease (if that is the right word). The ups and downs must be so hard. If you want any coaching diet/training wise please get in touch, and if I can't help, I will make sure I can refer to someone else who can. These guys give me more motivation than any muppet on youtube who slams back growth hormone before bed.

How is your exercise structured when you can do it?
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2015, 03:20:52 PM »

To play devils advocate slightly. I am sure you must have paid more attention to food to keep it off, or your food has now aligned in your energy balance. It not as simple as lift a weight and your fat will melt, hence strongmen. You energy balance has to be in a deficit to lose fat. Muscle obv has a higher metabolic requirement. So that increase expenditure. But if you are knocking back 6000kcal you gotta be pretty dam big to be on a diet. Enter the Mr Olypmia's.

Absolutely. After 15+ years of yoyo dieting, I've come to realise that diet is way more important than exercise for weight management. However, in previous times when I have lost weight it was cardio+low calories, this time its weights+good mix of macronutrients, high protein (and low calories).
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2015, 03:23:33 PM »

Absolutely. After 15+ years of yoyo dieting, I've come to realise that diet is way more important than exercise for weight management. However, in previous times when I have lost weight it was cardio+low calories, this time its weights+good mix of macronutrients, high protein (and low calories).

Yeah from talking to you, was pretty sure tht was the case. But didn't want someone to skim read this and go, oh its that easy. Few bicep curls a day and I've cracked it, kinda thing. When Sean said shall we put the thread up, I really wanted it to be useful to people. Some of the stuff/advice I see in the other weight loss thread just makes me cry. I just think, you are destined to go round in circles. So I want to try and make sure this thread is a positive to everyone that reads it. Hopefully it will carry on to next year when me and Sean will look to diet down and we can show the other side to things.

What are your current macros?
Marky147

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2015, 03:34:00 PM »

Yeah sport the nut way to get cardio in.

I run a group class for people with MS. They are amazing, some days they can't come. But every time I go I am amazed and what they attempt to do. This morning we had it, and some people just get up and walk. It seems an incredible disease (if that is the right word). The ups and downs must be so hard. If you want any coaching diet/training wise please get in touch, and if I can't help, I will make sure I can refer to someone else who can. These guys give me more motivation than any muppet on youtube who slams back growth hormone before bed.

How is your exercise structured when you can do it?

It's a very unique condition, that's for sure, and one of my nurses refers to it as the snowflake disease, which is quite apt.

I follow a few on Facebook, and you're not wrong about most of the people with it, and it should really stop me from being so lapse with nutrition etc.

I'm very lucky really, in that I only have spasticity problems with my legs, and pain issues, so 8 years in I have never had any visual problems, or upper body issues. Well, beyond carrying too much weight around it at present Smiley

I've not really done any lifting for a few years, and at present only really do some stretching, and try to do a bit on a treadmill that I had set up in the spare room at home.

When I was still pretty active/mobile 5 years back, I got well into nutrition/training, and was in a good routine until late 2011. I spent a week or so in hospital, and was out of action for a few months, and never got back into it properly again.

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2015, 03:53:27 PM »

From what I see, it is a case of doing what you can, as much as you can. I think for the group I work with, what they gain mentally actually out weighs the physical (we only do it once a week). But some days people can't stand up, others they are squatting with assistance, some without.

I have so much sympathy with nutrition. When I am injured I take it out on food. It is so hard, I think, to eat well when you are restricted from movement.

hope this can spur you on to do a bit. Anything to get you going is probably going to be good.
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2015, 03:56:15 PM »

Actually I have been winging it for a few months instead of sticking to a plan. What tends to happen is I aim for about 175-200gs of protein each day as my primary goal, then my second priority is keeping the calories 2,300 or less. Sometimes that means I have a low carb day, sometimes its a bit more balanced. On occassions where I know I'll be drinking/a meal out, I tend to keep things low carb/low calories just to make up for whats about to come.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2015, 04:03:10 PM »

Actually I have been winging it for a few months instead of sticking to a plan. What tends to happen is I aim for about 175-200gs of protein each day as my primary goal, then my second priority is keeping the calories 2,300 or less. Sometimes that means I have a low carb day, sometimes its a bit more balanced. On occassions where I know I'll be drinking/a meal out, I tend to keep things low carb/low calories just to make up for whats about to come.

Seems pretty good, I think you have to have periods where you don't track every gram, or you go out of your mind. As long as protein is high, its tough to go backwards without realising/noticing it.

What is your training schedule like at the minute?
DaveShoelace

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2015, 04:09:46 PM »

Seems pretty good, I think you have to have periods where you don't track every gram, or you go out of your mind. As long as protein is high, its tough to go backwards without realising/noticing it.

What is your training schedule like at the minute?

First thing every morning, Monday to Friday

Schedule varies every month depending what my personal trainer gives me, but it tends to be a leg day, back day, shoulder day and chest day (If I make a 5th day in, I do cardio/punch bag/fun stuff).

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: