blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:02:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 530735 times)
muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 21, 2015, 01:30:59 PM »

Grats on the 170 iraise!

Off to the gym shortly. Going to hit the OHP first thing and finally clear that fucking 40kg hurdle!! After that a 105kg deadlift, 72.5kg squats and AMAP pull ups to end the session. In and out in 45 minutes unless i have to wait for any equipment.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 21, 2015, 02:16:21 PM »

Grats on the 170 iraise!

Off to the gym shortly. Going to hit the OHP first thing and finally clear that fucking 40kg hurdle!! After that a 105kg deadlift, 72.5kg squats and AMAP pull ups to end the session. In and out in 45 minutes unless i have to wait for any equipment.

I am really enjoying the in and out in 40 at the minute. Really struggling to push on after about 35/40 mins.

GL with it, report back.
muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 21, 2015, 03:49:56 PM »

Didn't manage it Sad no joke, i completed 24 out of the 25 reps except that final one! So frustrating. Things were going well, then on the 2nd rep of my final set i felt my shoulders about to empty. I cranked out the 3rd and 4th, but there was just no strength left for the 5th. I even lingered by the bar for another minute to see if i could just get that final rep in but still no dice. I couldn't have lifted that bar above my head no matter how much i willed it, i had nothing left. 

So that's my 2nd failure at the 40kg level. I'll get you one day, overhead press!!!!!

Everything else went fine. 105kg deadlift felt ridic heavy but i did it. Will prob go in 2.5kg increments from now on for that one.
zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 21, 2015, 08:03:53 PM »

Didn't manage it Sad no joke, i completed 24 out of the 25 reps except that final one! So frustrating. Things were going well, then on the 2nd rep of my final set i felt my shoulders about to empty. I cranked out the 3rd and 4th, but there was just no strength left for the 5th. I even lingered by the bar for another minute to see if i could just get that final rep in but still no dice. I couldn't have lifted that bar above my head no matter how much i willed it, i had nothing left. 

So that's my 2nd failure at the 40kg level. I'll get you one day, overhead press!!!!!

Everything else went fine. 105kg deadlift felt ridic heavy but i did it. Will prob go in 2.5kg increments from now on for that one.

I know technically that's a fail, but it's still huge dude. You'll get it next week no problems. Smiley

And seriously, congrats to Harvey "I used to dead 190" Butters, and Amir "I'm crushing it at the moment but I'm thinking about taking it easy" Masood on your recent deadlift success Wink

Matt, what are you doing at the moment in terms of recovery for your knees? My quads are tighter than a tenor's trousers right now so I'm on the foam roller every morning, stretching three times a day, as well as a pretty extensive lower body warmup routine. I went to my physio for a sports massage yesterday and was pretty close to tears when she had her elbow in my rec fem!
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 21, 2015, 10:17:45 PM »

Yeah, what Sean said, 24/25 seems pretty decent to me. I think with strength, if your up there thats fine. If you are one down that might even be the best on occasions, thats total failure. Not saying you should/need to do that all the time. But you can't argue you have gone for failure there. 25 reps is reasonable volume too dont forget, especially for strength.

Very decent with your deads too!

Me and Sean were talking earlier, don't put too much pressure with progression, if you can go up to 110=115 for one set next week set the marker. Think TOTAL volume lifted, as opposed to just numbers you are ticking off.

Any updates from anyone else? Matt?
muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 23, 2015, 12:28:49 AM »

A friend suggested today i start loading up on creatine to help me as my lifts become heavier. Sound about right?
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 23, 2015, 07:02:24 AM »

A friend suggested today i start loading up on creatine to help me as my lifts become heavier. Sound about right?

Creatine will make you bigger and stronger for sure. When I did it years ago it definitely helped me into beast mode but you absolutely have to make sure your training is on point too.

How long have you been training for? I'd advise you not to consider it until you've been consistently training for at least 6 months or so. That's just personal opinion, based on no expert science but you can't be in the middle of a creatine cycle and going away on a lads holiday or to a poker festival and not training etc.

You should google it and read about it. Your body produces it naturally and if done for too long it can have adverse side effects on your liver or kidneys (or maybe both). That said, I think it's considered safe and without negative side effects if done right.

When I was taking it I felt more powerful in the gym. I was able to train for longer and lift heavier. I also filled out faster but I had to go to Uni and do some resits in the middle of a cycle. I had no access to a gym and thought I'd be ok just lifting some of the light weights we had in the uni house while I was there so I could continue my cycle. After a few days I felt my heart slow down or speed up occasionally at a few random times that I've never felt before or since and I thought fuck supplements apart from protein. If I train I will always do it totally naturally.

Again, it was my fault that I was using it incorrectly but the positives I got from it were also good. I also have some friends who take it and it has helped them get pretty big. BUT, I feel like it's not too long once off a creatine cycle before you lose all that water retention or whatever it gives the muscles and you will get a little less swole again.

Hope there's something to think about in there!

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 23, 2015, 11:43:42 AM »

Really interesting one, this is probably my favourite supplement as it has the most research around it for performance, it is one of the cheapest and completely safe. I think nearly ALL the research shows it has performance benefits.

Key points-

- Completely safe, you urinate any excess out.
- The 'size' part comes from water retention from within the muscle, so you can fluctuate size.
- Enhances performances
- Need to be consistent with dosage, even on rest days.
- Probably has more of an benefit in beginners and intermediates than advanced trainees.
- You don't need to week off, that was from when PED users said they used just creatine (hence the bad press about 20 years ago). Using it for 6 months is perfectly fine, and is going to benefit you.

Think that is about it, go to examine.com for any supplement Q's those guys review every piece of published research on supplements, so they know their stuff.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 23, 2015, 01:13:06 PM »

Matt, what are you doing at the moment in terms of recovery for your knees? My quads are tighter than a tenor's trousers right now so I'm on the foam roller every morning, stretching three times a day, as well as a pretty extensive lower body warmup routine. I went to my physio for a sports massage yesterday and was pretty close to tears when she had her elbow in my rec fem!

Similar to you by the sound of it. Making sure I do plenty of quad and glute stretches 3/4 times a week at home and when I trained legs I stretched between every set.

I've found the Focus T25 stretch routine works really well for me and honestly couldn't recommend it enough. I'm currently doing the stretch routine every other day mixed in with the abs and legs routines. The legs routine is all bodyweight stuff so lots of squats, lunges and hip flexor work. The stretch routine really hits the legs hard and feels great afterwards.

I'm very light with the squats at the moment so this is still experimental but I'll keep you updated. The bit I'm really counting on is the stretching between sets. I've never done it to this extent before and despite Thursday being my first legs session for months I had no aches or pains the next day. Promising start!!

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 23, 2015, 01:41:47 PM »

I couldn't recommend creatine enough. I don't know what you mean by "loading," as a lot of creatine supplements suggest you take in the region of 4 servings a day for a week or two in order to "saturate" the muscles. I'm 99% sure this is marketing bullshit. Just 5g a day, every day, for as long as you want.

Other than that, I absolutely mirror Harvey's post. So many pro's. Only con is that, with increased water retention, your muscles will appear less defined but, if we're not concerned with looking like a bodybuilding competition winner, then that's not a big deal.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 23, 2015, 02:07:56 PM »

I couldn't recommend creatine enough. I don't know what you mean by "loading," as a lot of creatine supplements suggest you take in the region of 4 servings a day for a week or two in order to "saturate" the muscles. I'm 99% sure this is marketing bullshit. Just 5g a day, every day, for as long as you want.

Other than that, I absolutely mirror Harvey's post. So many pro's. Only con is that, with increased water retention, your muscles will appear less defined but, if we're not concerned with looking like a bodybuilding competition winner, then that's not a big deal.

Loading is taking 20g for a week to saturate the muscles then 5g after. I have tried it both ways and noticed no difference, and from talking to people who understand this stuff, they say the difference is negligible.

I think dosing wise, I have heard anywhere in the region of 3-20g per day. I tend to use 5g.

Interested to hear Matts thoughts, if he has used them in the past? What kind of supplements have you used in the past Matt? Any ones you found very helpful/useless?
sovietsong

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 23, 2015, 03:15:32 PM »

Love reading this thread from the shadows.  I've been training 3-4 times a week, following some of the advice from BWMYT & also fitting in with my lifestyle.  Just wanted to say hello & thank you for all the great info provided by the "elders" !

In the category of Funniest Poster I nominate sovietsong. - mantis 21/12/2012
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 23, 2015, 07:30:54 PM »

Love reading this thread from the shadows.  I've been training 3-4 times a week, following some of the advice from BWMYT & also fitting in with my lifestyle.  Just wanted to say hello & thank you for all the great info provided by the "elders" !

Hey, thanks for posting. Get involved and post your training if you want, may give us some ideas for ourselves.

hit the nail on the head my fitting it in with you! GL and looking forwrd to hearing progress.
muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 23, 2015, 07:32:29 PM »

If 5g a day will yield the same results as going through a "loading" phase will i'll happily do it that way instead. Thank you for the info guys, extremely helpful.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 23, 2015, 07:41:55 PM »

If 5g a day will yield the same results as going through a "loading" phase will i'll happily do it that way instead. Thank you for the info guys, extremely helpful.

In theory loading should work quicker, but I guess that assumes everything else is on point. I am happy enough to say just stick with 5g a day, I don't even think it matters when you take it.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: