blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 09:11:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272534 Posts in 66754 Topics by 16946 Members
Latest Member: KobeTaylor
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 533546 times)
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 24, 2015, 05:06:34 PM »

Legs today

4x4 Squat 110/115/120/125

Nice progression there, felt pretty confident too. So hoping for a 130 next week. Needed a spot on the last rep at 125 so won't do it without a watchful eye. Going pretty low with the squats lately too which is great, been working on that for probably 18months.

Rest of the session slight progression.

For the DB challenge, I am doing 4x4-6 flat DB straight after DL at the min, which seems the most stupid place to put them, but kinda thew them in as I wasn't overly fussed on progressing them. I think I might keep them in there for a few more weeks, just until I plateau. And then give them some focus.

Had a brief moment last week where I thought I was going to win it, then realised Matt is twice the size and used to do them for fun. So the smart money is still on him.
muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 24, 2015, 08:15:57 PM »

Nice work iRaise. Your post also just encouraged me to do a little research on how to properly spot a squatter lol Cheesy
zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 24, 2015, 08:28:02 PM »

Nice work iRaise. Your post also just encouraged me to do a little research on how to properly spot a squatter lol Cheesy

It just can't be done with any sort of dignity. You're basically spooning someone vertically. Great reason to take your bird out squatting tho
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 24, 2015, 09:25:50 PM »

It just can't be done with any sort of dignity. You're basically spooning someone vertically. Great reason to take your bird out squatting tho

Yeah nothing to complicated about it, I am very reluctant to do it to people. I don't feel comfortable. At work I encourage people to fail onto the pins. Obviously can help with a nudge. But I am never taking it off the chest like I might on a bench so to speak.

Interested to hear others views, but I feel so much stronger with a spotter. Even if they aren't being used.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 25, 2015, 11:58:23 AM »

Chest this morning so a little DB update.

I've been following a few of the thoughts that you guys go with and gone for lower reps and also slightly longer breaks than normal.

I started with incline bench up to 70kg then dumbbells.

Set 1 - 30kg x 4 reps - Seemed weird stopping when there was loads left in the tank but this was a warm up really just to get the feel of things

Set 2 - 36kg x 4 reps - Felt pretty easy so another step up required....

Set 3 - 40kg x 4 reps - Felt heavy lifting it off the ground but could've managed a couple more reps without too much worry

Set 4 - 44kg x 3 reps - Psyched myself up a bit more before lifting off the ground and it felt a lot easier. Rep 3 was very slow and controlled. Could've managed another but decided to call it a day as I was pleased and didn't feel the need to go any further after a good morning's work.

My plan wasn't to be on 44kg yet by any means but when I saw that both Sean and Harvey are already in the 40s I had to give it a push. Today was a real confidence boost and my plan now is to go an extra 2kg per week and hit the 50s in 3 more weeks. Just need to stay injury free and hopefully I'll get there.

I need to work on the lifting off the ground bit without doubt. If you're using up a lot of energy in that phase it's always going to make the actual pressing harder. Psychologically if you struggle picking them up you're always going to think that pressing them is going to be tough. I have to remind myself that it's mainly because of my back injury and that helps maintain focus.

If I get to the stage where I feel confident enough I might start doing a few deadlifts which would help the lift massively. I imagine that you guys find that part relatively easy what with you being deadlift beasts!!

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 25, 2015, 12:04:24 PM »

Yeah nothing to complicated about it, I am very reluctant to do it to people. I don't feel comfortable. At work I encourage people to fail onto the pins. Obviously can help with a nudge. But I am never taking it off the chest like I might on a bench so to speak.

Interested to hear others views, but I feel so much stronger with a spotter. Even if they aren't being used.

I always feel more confident with a spotter but only if they're good at it. I prefer no spotter to a bad spotter.

You see them in the gym trying to spot someone on the bench and they don't even apply even distribution to the bar. The worse offenders are the ones using a crossover grip. How the hell can they apply the same assistance to each side of the bar? Simple answer is they can't!!

Then you get the ones using underhand grip!?!?!? What's the plan when he loses it completely? Bicep curl 100kg?!?!? Nice plan!!!

Forgive the over-use of exclamation marks but it's one thing that really winds me up.

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 25, 2015, 12:05:48 PM »

I've been following a few of the thoughts that you guys go with and gone for lower reps and also slightly longer breaks than normal.

Set 1 - 30kg x 4 reps - Seemed weird stopping when there was loads left in the tank but this was a warm up really just to get the feel of things

Set 3 - 40kg x 4 reps - Felt heavy lifting it off the ground but could've managed a couple more reps without too much worry

Set 4 - 44kg x 3 reps - Psyched myself up a bit more before lifting off the ground and it felt a lot easier. Rep 3 was very slow and controlled. Could've managed another but decided to call it a day as I was pleased and didn't feel the need to go any further after a good morning's work.

My plan wasn't to be on 44kg yet by any means but when I saw that both Sean and Harvey are already in the 40s I had to give it a push. Today was a real confidence boost and my plan now is to go an extra 2kg per week and hit the 50s in 3 more weeks. Just need to stay injury free and hopefully I'll get there.

I need to work on the lifting off the ground bit without doubt. If you're using up a lot of energy in that phase it's always going to make the actual pressing harder. Psychologically if you struggle picking them up you're always going to think that pressing them is going to be tough. I have to remind myself that it's mainly because of my back injury and that helps maintain focus.

If I get to the stage where I feel confident enough I might start doing a few deadlifts which would help the lift massively. I imagine that you guys find that part relatively easy what with you being deadlift beasts!!

Thats pretty badass. I am now officially entering the race (although the way Sean is going I feel I am on for a bronze). Will flick a few sets of six in today. Psyching up is key!

How was it through the shoulders?

How confident are you in 2kg per week?

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 25, 2015, 12:11:26 PM »

I always feel more confident with a spotter but only if they're good at it. I prefer no spotter to a bad spotter.

You see them in the gym trying to spot someone on the bench and they don't even apply even distribution to the bar. The worse offenders are the ones using a crossover grip. How the hell can they apply the same assistance to each side of the bar? Simple answer is they can't!!

Then you get the ones using underhand grip!?!?!? What's the plan when he loses it completely? Bicep curl 100kg?!?!? Nice plan!!!

Forgive the over-use of exclamation marks but it's one thing that really winds me up.

Haha, I think it is a pretty interesting debate. The at what point is a spotter more of a hindrance. I think people defo need more practical lessons in spotting. I am always more interested in safety in spotting, so I tend to take the weight earlier than I should.

Fine line though, I remember doing eccentric focused DB skull crushers and asked a guy to help me with the concentric phase and he kept moving my hands together. Whole point was to apply tension, which he kept reducing. The weight was like 12kg so how he couldn't see the plan was beyond me.

Also got asked to spot a 180kg incline bench. Had to find another guy to take a side each, luckily the guy just pinged it up no problem. But not something I fancy doing very often.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 25, 2015, 12:11:45 PM »

Regarding creatine; I've used it before but I really don't know if I've made significant gains through it. It's one of those things that you can't ever know what would've happened if you hadn't used it.

I know of many people who swear by it so I'd always have to just say that it works but personally I don't use it. Every now and then I give it a try but I'm genuinely not convinced that it's ever done me any good.

The one that I do believe works is glutamine. I always feel good when I'm on that.

Presently I'm not using anything at all other than a few protein bars and shakes to get my protein intake a bit higher. My diet is really good so I'm leaving it at that for now.

Mohican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: August 25, 2015, 01:17:35 PM »

Dunno if it's been mentioned before in this thread, but I've been concentrating the neg rep side of my training. So where before I'd ping up the bar on a bench press and just lower hapharzdly ready for the next rep, I''m now concentrating on a more controlled lower and a full range of movement.  I have to say it don't half give a proper work out. Obvs doing it on all my exercises. Will be interesting to see what happens on leg day tomorrow when I apply it to squatting.

Cymru am byth
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 25, 2015, 02:49:38 PM »

Thats pretty badass. I am now officially entering the race (although the way Sean is going I feel I am on for a bronze). Will flick a few sets of six in today. Psyching up is key!

Thanks mate. Unfortunately there was a guy on the bench next to me who did 46kg (with shit form) so I wasn't the most badass guy there Sad

It felt fine through the shoulders which I was really pleased about. I made a real effort to focus on keeping everything tense and maintain perfect form so I think that helped. I was nicely warmed up after the inclines as well and I stretched between sets so all in all I did everything I think I could to help the shoulders. I think the low reps makes a huge difference as well particularly with maintaining form and avoiding any wobble.

2kg per week?......... I think I'll piss it!!

Not sure if the 2kg will be on every set but that last set will definitely see the increase.

Whenever I've done this in the past it's always been for 8 to 10 reps before I step up. Doing 24 reps at a reasonable weight before your heavy set is always going to leave you a bit fatigued so no great surprise that it usually takes so long to reach 50kg. Doing it with low reps seems easy in comparison but I think will yield good results.

zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 25, 2015, 03:52:41 PM »

Dunno if it's been mentioned before in this thread, but I've been concentrating the neg rep side of my training. So where before I'd ping up the bar on a bench press and just lower hapharzdly ready for the next rep, I''m now concentrating on a more controlled lower and a full range of movement.  I have to say it don't half give a proper work out. Obvs doing it on all my exercises. Will be interesting to see what happens on leg day tomorrow when I apply it to squatting.

Nice. Controlled negative is the only way in my opinion. I'm really glad that my first trainer, while he might have been a bit of a meat-head, really drilled in the importance of the eccentric movement. For strength, size and mobility, it's way better to lighten the weight and keep it under control, than to load up and let gravity do half of the movement for you.

I'll ruin the surprise for you now, you will be SORE AS HELL after 3 second negatives on your squats. Wink

There are some interesting methods regarding eccentric training, such as loading up 110% of your 1 rep max with a spotter to assist you on the concentric portion of the exercise, and resisting the weight as long as possible. You can do this with single arm/leg exercises as well by spotting yourself with your free hand/foot.
Mohican

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: August 25, 2015, 04:26:47 PM »

Nice. Controlled negative is the only way in my opinion. I'm really glad that my first trainer, while he might have been a bit of a meat-head, really drilled in the importance of the eccentric movement. For strength, size and mobility, it's way better to lighten the weight and keep it under control, than to load up and let gravity do half of the movement for you.

I'll ruin the surprise for you now, you will be SORE AS HELL after 3 second negatives on your squats. Wink

There are some interesting methods regarding eccentric training, such as loading up 110% of your 1 rep max with a spotter to assist you on the concentric portion of the exercise, and resisting the weight as long as possible. You can do this with single arm/leg exercises as well by spotting yourself with your free hand/foot.
I'm always sore after leg day as I'm always able to push myself harder and proper mash myself up. If the way the rest of my body aches after doing this, I've no doubt that some serious John Wayne-esque walking will be the outcome.

Cymru am byth
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 25, 2015, 05:06:42 PM »

I'm always sore after leg day as I'm always able to push myself harder and proper mash myself up. If the way the rest of my body aches after doing this, I've no doubt that some serious John Wayne-esque walking will be the outcome.

I've had to walk from the car to my house in a squatted position before when my legs have cramped up after a hard session. Luckily it wasn't too far!!

Definitely echo what Sean says about the negative portion, you need to resist the weight throughout the whole movement.

Also don't ever drop or throw weights down after a set. Have the weight under control from the instant you pick it up all the way to setting it back down on the floor.

The pick up and put down are just extra training and by throwing the weights you're just conning yourself out of moving a bit more steel.

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 25, 2015, 05:38:48 PM »

Thanks mate. Unfortunately there was a guy on the bench next to me who did 46kg (with shit form) so I wasn't the most badass guy there Sad

It felt fine through the shoulders which I was really pleased about. I made a real effort to focus on keeping everything tense and maintain perfect form so I think that helped. I was nicely warmed up after the inclines as well and I stretched between sets so all in all I did everything I think I could to help the shoulders. I think the low reps makes a huge difference as well particularly with maintaining form and avoiding any wobble.

2kg per week?......... I think I'll piss it!!

Not sure if the 2kg will be on every set but that last set will definitely see the increase.

Whenever I've done this in the past it's always been for 8 to 10 reps before I step up. Doing 24 reps at a reasonable weight before your heavy set is always going to leave you a bit fatigued so no great surprise that it usually takes so long to reach 50kg. Doing it with low reps seems easy in comparison but I think will yield good results.

How much low rep stuff have you done in the past? Yeah I know what you mean, going in fresh for a set is much different to actually doing a working sets.

Regarding the creatine point, I think everyone is different. I have never noticed a huge difference on either (glutamine or creatine) But the research is pretty good, its cheap and relatively convenient. Although I am using them less and less. I imagine after my current stock I will just be having a whey shake.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: