blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:00:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16944 Members
Latest Member: Blader
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 530734 times)
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 25, 2015, 05:50:11 PM »

Dunno if it's been mentioned before in this thread, but I've been concentrating the neg rep side of my training. So where before I'd ping up the bar on a bench press and just lower hapharzdly ready for the next rep, I''m now concentrating on a more controlled lower and a full range of movement.  I have to say it don't half give a proper work out. Obvs doing it on all my exercises. Will be interesting to see what happens on leg day tomorrow when I apply it to squatting.

Eccentric very important, although being devils advocate again, recent research is saying the long term effect are pretty minimal. The over riding factor is just keep lifting stuff over a long period. I think I use eccentric more for a psychology aspect. Just to do something different.

This is quite an ironic day to talk about this, as every bodybuilder ever would tell me how stupid I am saying eccentric 'don't matter' (they do, because they show you are in control, but going down in 2 seconds to going down in 4 is negligible) because a whole host of research has come out saying growth hormone doesn't actually effect muscle growth. I'm not for one minute saying this research isn't limited as I haven;t read it yet, but will be really interested the discussions.

But for the average guy, stay consistent, until you have like 10 years lifting, i think you can get caught up with 'fancy' methods etc.

Oh, and brave guy doing eccentric legs, squatting 60 eccentrically focused makes me wanna cry.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 25, 2015, 07:39:06 PM »

How much low rep stuff have you done in the past? Yeah I know what you mean, going in fresh for a set is much different to actually doing a working sets.

Regarding the creatine point, I think everyone is different. I have never noticed a huge difference on either (glutamine or creatine) But the research is pretty good, its cheap and relatively convenient. Although I am using them less and less. I imagine after my current stock I will just be having a whey shake.

Absolutely none. The only time I've ever done less than 8 reps would be when failure has kicked in and it would usually be on the last set as I've always been a fan of pyramid training. Start low weight high reps, finish high weight to failure with a target of 6 to 8.

Any tips would be welcome but you might be reluctant seeing as you're just helping to seal your third place finish........

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 25, 2015, 09:32:35 PM »

How much low rep stuff have you done in the past? Yeah I know what you mean, going in fresh for a set is much different to actually doing a working sets.

Regarding the creatine point, I think everyone is different. I have never noticed a huge difference on either (glutamine or creatine) But the research is pretty good, its cheap and relatively convenient. Although I am using them less and less. I imagine after my current stock I will just be having a whey shake.

Absolutely none. The only time I've ever done less than 8 reps would be when failure has kicked in and it would usually be on the last set as I've always been a fan of pyramid training. Start low weight high reps, finish high weight to failure with a target of 6 to 8.

Any tips would be welcome but you might be reluctant seeing as you're just helping to seal your third place finish........

Hahah I was thinking this, I was so confident coming into this, starting talking it through with everyone, know I feel a lock for bronze. Naaaaat what I wanted.

My main justifications right now for lower rep stuff is confidence. I know it will make me stronger, but I am doing it to hit higher weights. If I wanted true strength training, I would take longer rest in between sets and take back total volume. I am a power/bodybuilder type trainer. So start off with strength work sets of 5 or less. Then sets of 6-8 then 10-12 then 15 plus.

When I want to get really strong, I will do much more lower rep stuff across the board. And focus on quality over the X reps per session. I am still lanky looking, so I need to put more muscle on just for more potential strength.

Like you said a few posts back, I am n ot pro 4 reps for DB just because they are an effort to get in position. So I would do 3x3 for flat bench, as it is easier and less energy consuming to be in position. But for the sake of this challenge, to handicap it so me and Sean have a punters chance, we kinda have to go 3-4. But not something I would normally do.

I think for what you want ( I am guessing size still) making sure there are plenty of sets and volume. So not just 3x3 few sets of 3x8 on the accessory work then a shake and a shower. Still wanna have the principles you have used throughout your training career.

But going dow reps allows you to speed up your progression in strength/lifting more immediate poundage.
muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 26, 2015, 04:09:30 PM »

Felt pretty sore in the shoulders this morning from Monday's gym session but went again today anyway. Tried to plough through it and failed on the overhead press on my 3rd set Sad I'm still stuck at 40 for that one lol, perhaps for eternity Cheesy deadlifted 105 again and tore the skin on my hands to shreds in the process! Made good progress on the pullups and just about managed to crank out 3 sets of 10!

I think i will drop my training to twice a week to allow more recovery time, i think my body needs a little more time than most. Booked a sports massage for next week and i cannot wait aha.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 26, 2015, 06:27:30 PM »

Felt pretty sore in the shoulders this morning from Monday's gym session but went again today anyway. Tried to plough through it and failed on the overhead press on my 3rd set Sad I'm still stuck at 40 for that one lol, perhaps for eternity Cheesy deadlifted 105 again and tore the skin on my hands to shreds in the process! Made good progress on the pullups and just about managed to crank out 3 sets of 10!

I think i will drop my training to twice a week to allow more recovery time, i think my body needs a little more time than most. Booked a sports massage for next week and i cannot wait aha.

What did you train on Monday? If it was the same as today then I think I may know what your problem is......

Cutting down to twice per week seems a bit extreme. Why not just train different body parts to give the others a rest?

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 26, 2015, 07:33:54 PM »

3 sets of 10 pull-ups?! Holy fuck. muckthenuts takes home the gold already.

Nice work with the deadlift, and yeah hand-shredding and shin-scraping are two heavy lifting hazards. Anyone in this thread got any tips on this? Cheesy

Don't worry too much about feeling sore. Soreness is not synonymous with weakness. As long as you are taking a day off before going balls to the wall again, hitting the same body part shouldn't be a problem. I don't think there's any need to drop to 2 sessions per week. Perhaps add a little (and I mean a little) accessory work for your shoulders after your deadlifts on workout B.

Also is there any way you can get your form checked, or take some videos? Without wanting to sound insulting, I suspect that's the reason for your OHP and bench numbers to be honest, and nothing to do with your actual strength. Every couple of weeks I try to take a video of my form, and go through it with a toothcomb. It's helped me catch a few errors in the past - too much backbend in my OHP, poor upper back posture in my deadlift, knee tracking in my squat etc.
zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 26, 2015, 07:37:02 PM »

I don't think I'll be bringing home any gold in this friendly competition we have going, but I'm about to win this thread.

I just finished some walking lunges at the end of my leg day, when a russian fighter took a break from hammering the heavy bag to tell me that he needs legs like mine.

Eat some of that.
muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 26, 2015, 10:15:23 PM »

Thanks for the advice, i'll persist with the 3 training days a week and see how i fare. 2 does feel like a pretty big drop i agree. I think i can certainly do more to help my own cause too, so my laziness regarding stretching before/during/after a workout should definitely be improved. Feel almost perma-sore at the moment. Anything else i can do to speed up recovery?

I got a PT session about 6 weeks ago purely to look at my form and i'd be happy to book one again. The staff who sit at the front of my gym usually look bored as hell there tbf, so i could just grab them for 5 minutes while they check on how i lift the bar. Fwiw Sean, i don't think i've yet reached the limit on what i can bench press, but given the lack of a power rack and perhaps a prior bad experience of being pinned under a barbell i'm definitely taking that movement slow. Tempted to use the Smith Machine for benching but i've heard this isn't good.

Re: OHP - i plan to give 40kg another crack on Monday. And i'm going to fucking get it! If i fail again though i'll deload to 35kg for my next workout and work back up.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 10:18:26 PM by muckthenuts » Logged
vegaslover

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 27, 2015, 01:11:02 AM »

Might just be your body telling you to take a few days off. If you are pretty new to lifting, it's a shock to the body and the last thing you want at this stage is an injury.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 27, 2015, 10:06:13 AM »

If stiffness is regular, your recovery methods aren't great.

If you aren't progressing well enough, your recovery methods aren't great.

Recovery methods:

Food
Sleep
Water
Mobility
Rest

I would guess food is a huge one. I don't think rest is. 3 times a week is pretty tame, I'm not sure how old you are but I am guessing quite young, less than 30. So from a recovery point from view, unless there is something medically wrong with you, you should be recovering fine (providing you are eating etc enough).

I would train 4 times a week, upper/lower/upper/lower split. Eat more. (If applicable)

Training less actually doesn't help, unless you are doing more in the session (i.e previously was 60 mins, now 90-120 mins). Because you are DECREASING (probably) total volume, so you are adapting less. I am guessing this is the total opposite of what you want.

Hope that makes sense
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 27, 2015, 12:41:10 PM »

Update on the challenges....

Trained back yesterday and managed 2x4 & 1x3 on wide grip chins. Not as many as MTN but without wanting to blow my own trumpet every one was fucking awesome!! Also did 3x4 narrow grip pull ups again really slow focussing on perfect form, full range of motion and really controlled. Think I'll be nudging double figures in a month or so on those but still very much in 4th place for now.......

Legs day today and decided to go for steady increases in the squats each week. Did 2x8 with just the bar and then 2x8 at 45kg for an increase of 5kg on last week. Had no problems at all with the weight so the current plan is to stick with adding 5kg per week until I can't manage 2x8 and then re-assess. Will obviously increase the first two sets as well but don't know by how much yet.

I like to think I can stick to this up to somewhere around 100kg then it may get tough but I've got 11 weeks before that happens so no point worrying about it yet.

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 27, 2015, 03:46:59 PM »

Trained back yesterday and managed 2x4 & 1x3 on wide grip chins. Not as many as MTN but without wanting to blow my own trumpet every one was fucking awesome!! Also did 3x4 narrow grip pull ups again really slow focussing on perfect form, full range of motion and really controlled. Think I'll be nudging double figures in a month or so on those but still very much in 4th place for now.......

Legs day today and decided to go for steady increases in the squats each week. Did 2x8 with just the bar and then 2x8 at 45kg for an increase of 5kg on last week. Had no problems at all with the weight so the current plan is to stick with adding 5kg per week until I can't manage 2x8 and then re-assess. Will obviously increase the first two sets as well but don't know by how much yet.

I like to think I can stick to this up to somewhere around 100kg then it may get tough but I've got 11 weeks before that happens so no point worrying about it yet.

I think I have only seen you in the flesh once Matt, but you are pretty tall right? So long levers? I feel we are all quite even with lever length? Although I guess I could be waaaaay out with that one. I like the pull ups because we are at least smiliar ish weights.

For strenght purposes, I am huge on BW to KG ratio. So 2xBW kinda thing. Pull ups though, if your 100kg and repping out pull ups for a strooooooong.

Do we have a pull up challenge? Just AMRAP?
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 27, 2015, 04:27:05 PM »

I think I have only seen you in the flesh once Matt, but you are pretty tall right? So long levers? I feel we are all quite even with lever length? Although I guess I could be waaaaay out with that one. I like the pull ups because we are at least smiliar ish weights.

For strenght purposes, I am huge on BW to KG ratio. So 2xBW kinda thing. Pull ups though, if your 100kg and repping out pull ups for a strooooooong.

6' 4" weighing in at about 15st 7lb so a touch under 100kg

What do you mean when you say 2xBW?

Don't think we have an official pull up / chin up challenge yet, I'm just working on it in case we set terms........

iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 27, 2015, 05:26:51 PM »

6' 4" weighing in at about 15st 7lb so a touch under 100kg

What do you mean when you say 2xBW?

Don't think we have an official pull up / chin up challenge yet, I'm just working on it in case we set terms........

Yeah so I assume pull ups will be toughest for you of all, being a touch taller and heavier than me, and me being a touch taller and heavier than Sean, but I think we are all fairly close.

2xBW (bodyweight) being if I am 100kg, deadlifting 200kg is very impressive. If I am 200kg, deadlifting 200kg is less so. Likewise, if I am 60kg and I stroll up and deadlift 180kg that is incredibly impressive being 3xBW.

In strength terms, I think it is always important to talk weight. As Colin Bryce always says, mass moves mass. So whereas some of the weight I lift could be deemed heavy, it really isnt when you know I am 95kg. Speshly the squat, which is annoying.

Really, really, really admire strength athletes that stick to a weight division.

I think a pull up one seems a fair one to go for post DB. Also think a BW challenge too, so bench/deadlift/squat reps for bodyweight. So however much you weigh in on that day/week. Rack it up on the bar and keep going. I am incredibly underwhelming at that.
zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 28, 2015, 02:34:33 AM »

Pull-up challenge just maximal reps for 1 set by year end?

When do you wanna do BW challenge?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: