blonde poker forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:23:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
2272476 Posts in 66752 Topics by 16945 Members
Latest Member: Zula
* Home Help Arcade Search Calendar Guidelines Login Register
+  blonde poker forum
|-+  Community Forums
| |-+  The Lounge
| | |-+  Blonde will make you STRONG
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 ... 282 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blonde will make you STRONG  (Read 530773 times)
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: August 30, 2015, 03:43:28 PM »

Update

Went for 180kg deadlift today, which is a new PR. Got it first try. I needed chalk, but it absolutely flew up. I honestly think I only needed the chalk because I did a shitload of pull-ups yesterday, so I'm not too bothered about it. Super happy to get a 4 plate deadlift on what is basically the second time I've ever racked that much weight. 200kg by 2016 looking good I think.

Also, more brags. Got asked if I was a rugby player earlier, by a massive powerlifter, because I'm "built like one." Boom.

Could just be his way of saying your face looks like it's taken some knocks Smiley

grats on the deadlift

I still get asked if I even lift, brilliant.

Congrats Sean.

Side question to Cos, when you were squatting a) did you front squat? b) did you use belt/wraps c) were you a parallel or ass to grass guy d) did you use plates under your heels?
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 30, 2015, 03:53:21 PM »

Those questions to Cos also apply to any and everyone that has been a strong squatter in the past. I am thinking 1.5xBW and above.
GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 30, 2015, 05:10:31 PM »

Update

Went for 180kg deadlift today, which is a new PR. Got it first try. I needed chalk, but it absolutely flew up. I honestly think I only needed the chalk because I did a shitload of pull-ups yesterday, so I'm not too bothered about it. Super happy to get a 4 plate deadlift on what is basically the second time I've ever racked that much weight. 200kg by 2016 looking good I think.

Also, more brags. Got asked if I was a rugby player earlier, by a massive powerlifter, because I'm "built like one." Boom.

Could just be his way of saying your face looks like it's taken some knocks Smiley

grats on the deadlift

Congrats Sean.

Side question to Cos, when you were squatting a) did you front squat? b) did you use belt/wraps c) were you a parallel or ass to grass guy d) did you use plates under your heels?

I only front squatted a few times. I wish I had done it more. I just started with it a few times (so very light) and not long after I fell out of training routine.

I used a belt sometimes but not often. Never really liked belts/gloves etc. In fact I quite liked it when my hands were mashed and hardened.

I was never ass to grass. I trained quite a lot with a trainer who made me go low but I never went to the floor.

My trainer was ubdoubtedly the reason I got so good with legs. He used to make me go really hard with a bunch of different exercises. I used to do lunges up a long ramp. I went really heavy on the hack squat machine and we used to do this other exercise where you'd get under the smith machine and push up weight with the bottom of your feet. I forget it now but it was obviously good.

I only remember putting plates under my heels the first coupla times I started squatting so as not to move my heels up off the floor but once I got the hang of it I didn't need them.

Every time I've done a stint of training since I've not gotten anywhere close. I don't think I've even really been able to do 100kg for more than a rep or two but I'm determined to lose weight this time, just because that's goal number 1 and also because my weight really inhibits my flexibility. Once I get to where I want to be I'll be in on the thread and setting myself some goals.

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 30, 2015, 05:48:22 PM »

we used to do this other exercise where you'd get under the smith machine and push up weight with the bottom of your feet. I forget it now but it was obviously good.

I think that's called a glute extension.

Does it look like this?

GreekStein

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 31, 2015, 05:33:03 PM »

we used to do this other exercise where you'd get under the smith machine and push up weight with the bottom of your feet. I forget it now but it was obviously good.

I think that's called a glute extension.

Does it look like this?

No it's not that exercise as I'm pretty sure I was on my back and on the floor.

Gonna contact him and ask and post itt

@GreekStein on twitter.

Retired Policeman, Part time troll.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 31, 2015, 09:43:35 PM »

Update

grats on the deadlift

Congrats Sean.

I only front squatted a few times. I wish I had done it more. I just started with it a few times (so very light) and not long after I fell out of training routine.

I used a belt sometimes but not often. Never really liked belts/gloves etc. In fact I quite liked it when my hands were mashed and hardened.

I was never ass to grass. I trained quite a lot with a trainer who made me go low but I never went to the floor.

My trainer was ubdoubtedly the reason I got so good with legs. He used to make me go really hard with a bunch of different exercises. I used to do lunges up a long ramp. I went really heavy on the hack squat machine and we used to do this other exercise where you'd get under the smith machine and push up weight with the bottom of your feet. I forget it now but it was obviously good.

I only remember putting plates under my heels the first coupla times I started squatting so as not to move my heels up off the floor but once I got the hang of it I didn't need them.

Every time I've done a stint of training since I've not gotten anywhere close. I don't think I've even really been able to do 100kg for more than a rep or two but I'm determined to lose weight this time, just because that's goal number 1 and also because my weight really inhibits my flexibility. Once I get to where I want to be I'll be in on the thread and setting myself some goals.

Thanks for the reply, exercise in question glute bridge/ham raise? I think that exercise is my go to one for squat strength/hip drive.

I feel like I am constantly stretching constantly at the minute. But it is definitely paying off on the squat.

Looking forward to having you here when the time is right, hopefully will help you keep motivated.
muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 01, 2015, 09:40:35 AM »

The gym was pretty busy when i went yesterday. Given i had only a short window of time and was unlikely to get hold of a barbell i decided to work with dumbells instead.

Interestingly i ended up spotting a decent disparity in strength developing between my left and right sides, with my right now noticeably stronger. Looked it up when i got home and it turns out that when training with a bar it's not uncommon for a person's dominant side to do the majority of the work rather than it be equally shared like i'd previously assumed. I don't know if this is down to my technique or that i do pretty much everything in real life with my right side, but it's something i've certainly got to address right away.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 01, 2015, 10:10:14 AM »

Chest day today.....

Went with the plan of increasing by 2kg and it was f**king hard!!!

4 reps @ 34kg
4 reps @ 38kg
3 reps @ 42kg
1.5 reps @ 46kg

I'm claiming the half because I managed half the push phase but still managed to get them back to my knees under control and to the floor without having to drop them. A spot would've been really useful today but my mate's on holiday so had to just cope on my own.

Best stick to 46kg next week unless I feel really strong on the day so my thought that I'd get to 50kg in 3 weeks may have been optimistic. We'll see though....

The good news is I had no problems picking the weights up and my back felt absolutely fine so I'm really happy with that side of my progress.

Motivational speeches at their best:

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 01, 2015, 11:47:52 AM »

The gym was pretty busy when i went yesterday. Given i had only a short window of time and was unlikely to get hold of a barbell i decided to work with dumbells instead.

Interestingly i ended up spotting a decent disparity in strength developing between my left and right sides, with my right now noticeably stronger. Looked it up when i got home and it turns out that when training with a bar it's not uncommon for a person's dominant side to do the majority of the work rather than it be equally shared like i'd previously assumed. I don't know if this is down to my technique or that i do pretty much everything in real life with my right side, but it's something i've certainly got to address right away.

Everybody has muscle imbalance and unfortunately it is something that is exacerbated by constant barbell work. If I was working with someone going from zero to stronglifts, I would probably get them to do 4 weeks or so of isometric work, just to iron out some underlying imbalances.

In your case, I would start adding just a little bit of accessory stuff, first of all because you mentioned you find some of your movement patterns difficult such as the OHP, and secondly because if your right side is as dominant as you say it is then it's a good thing to start addressing it nice and early.

There's no need to start doing insane amounts of volume, but after you've done your 5x5 stuff, consider picking up the dumbbells on the weaker lifts.

This is just an example of what I would suggest.
  • Workout A: Squat 5x5 / Bench 5x5 / Row 5x5 / Dumbbell Bench 3x10 / Dumbbell Row 3x10
  • Workout B: Squat 5x5 / OHP 5x5 / Deadlift 1x5 / Lunges 3x10 / Dumbbell OHP 3x10

By adding 2 more movements per day (and only 1 movement per muscle group) you shouldn't be overly fatiguing yourself, but you will work through the imbalances; and with a rep range of 10 or so, your CNS won't be taking a battering either. You won't need as much rest between sets of 10 as you do between sets of 5; 60-90 seconds will do just fine.

Good luck bud.
muckthenuts

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 01, 2015, 02:19:35 PM »

Thanks Sean, that's really helpful. Would you suggest skipping the assisted pull ups and bodyweight dips and just doing dumbbell accessory work? Something i saw suggested performing a few extra dumbbell reps on weaker side so that's what i'll be doing. It doesn't matter if my right gets a bit weaker in the process, as long as my left can catch up a bit that's fine.

In other news, turns out sports massages are very painful Cheesy was wincing like a baby at some points but man she did a great job at ironing out the knots i've collected recently. Feel really good. Going to have to be less lazy with the stretching unless i want to regularly fork out £40 to get fixed though.
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 01, 2015, 02:37:03 PM »

Thanks Sean, that's really helpful. Would you suggest skipping the assisted pull ups and bodyweight dips and just doing dumbbell accessory work? Something i saw suggested performing a few extra dumbbell reps on weaker side so that's what i'll be doing. It doesn't matter if my right gets a bit weaker in the process, as long as my left can catch up a bit that's fine.

In other news, turns out sports massages are very painful Cheesy was wincing like a baby at some points but man she did a great job at ironing out the knots i've collected recently. Feel really good. Going to have to be less lazy with the stretching unless i want to regularly fork out £40 to get fixed though.

I've never been a big fan of this way of thinking. Single arm stuff is fine but with compound movements like bench press unless you know exactly where the imbalance lies you're going to struggle to isolate the muscle that needs to catch up.

I used to always be much stronger on my right side but to balance it out I just stuck to whatever my left side could cope with. It meant that my left side was working to absolute failure and my right side got to take it easy for a few months.

Regarding the massages I promise they get easier but I'm afraid you just have to budget for that £40 as being part of your training expenses. Unless you're very lucky or very disciplined with the stretching you'll be needing a good rubdown at least once a month.

"Because thats what living is, the 6 inches in front of your face......" - Patrick Leonard - 10th May 2015
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 01, 2015, 02:41:28 PM »

Update

My favourite used to be when people refused to believe that I'd never taken steroids. That was my ultimate compliment Smiley

Anything with 4 plates is awesome. It's not so much the physical strength required to do it, it's the way the bar bounces as you lock out!! Excellent work!!!

zerofive

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 01, 2015, 04:46:54 PM »

Haha I feel your pain bro! I was close to tears the first time I had sports massage on my quads after my knee injury.

I wouldn't bother doing any additional reps on one side. First off, it's surprising how much this changes the exercise when pressing; you recruit so many stabilisers that it's hard to focus on the chest or shoulder. Secondly, if you do the same amount of work with both sides, you'll be asking more of your weaker side anyway. If a 30kg dumbbell requires 50% effort in your right hand, but 70% effort in your left, then you're still allowing your weaker side to catch up. Does that make sense?

I would almost never recommend skipping dips and pull-ups, however, I think your dumbbell work should be a priority just until you feel less uneven.

I'm going to second what EvilPie says about sports massage. Being more disciplined with your stretching is a fantastic lifestyle decision to make, but ideally you're going to want to get ironed out every now and then. I'd massively recommend getting a foam roller and a lacrosse ball so that you can perform some myofascial release before and/or after your sessions. 10 minutes will do the trick, but it's a really great way to "self massage" in between therapy sessions.
iRaise

Maybe One Time

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 01, 2015, 05:14:55 PM »

Everyone seems to be doing pretty good atm which is aweeeesome. Keep it up.

Quick update

4x4 DB press at 44kg unassisted. Felt VERY heavy getting them out the hole, so will be interested to see next week.

No shoulder pain, and plenty of pressing throughout the session so pretty happy.

Deadlifts at some point this week. Favourite day!
EvilPie

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 01, 2015, 05:32:56 PM »

Everyone seems to be doing pretty good atm which is aweeeesome. Keep it up.

Quick update

4x4 DB press at 44kg unassisted. Felt VERY heavy getting them out the hole, so will be interested to see next week.

No shoulder pain, and plenty of pressing throughout the session so pretty happy.

Deadlifts at some point this week. Favourite day!

When do you do your heavy DB presses? Are you already warmed up from another pressing exercise or do you just go straight in to them after your standard warm up?

I did them after 4 sets of reasonable (60kg) incline presses today and it definitely made life more difficult.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 ... 282 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: